Question for Coaches:

Leman Saunders

Six-man expert
A teams has a game scheduled against a non-district opponent, week of the game the opponent calls and says they cant play because they dont have enough kids, neither team reschedules another team. Is that game a forfeit or a cancelled game? If you consider it a forfeit...why?

A teams has a game scheduled against a non-district opponent, week of the game the opponent calls and says they cant play because they dont have enough kids, neither team reschedules another team. Is that game a forfeit or a cancelled game? If you consider it a forfeit...why?
IMO, it is a forfeit due to the lack of time to reschedule a game, unless of course you can get another game. Last season, we had an opponent cancel a few days before our game. It was Homecoming Week and caused all kinds of issues. It fell on a week that was impossible to fill with anyone else, regardless of the effort. I do understand that grace should be used in certain situations, but cancelling the week of should come with consequences for the team that can't uphold their end of the agreement. I would consider it a "cancel" if they can give us time to re-schedule...for us, 2 weeks is all we ask. Otherwise, there are those that will take advantage of it and it will start to become a pandemic...as goes the case the last couple of years from what I've noticed.

Back