Calling vs. Writing?

Dogface

Six-man fan
I was wondering
if the movers and shakers had a preference
between getting phone calls about job openings
or would rather get e-mail
or regular mail (postal)?

Email with resume and cover letter. If you call, you may catch the person who may hire you at a moment of frustration, as he or she is walking out the door, as his or her boss is just walking in, etc. and you are either dismissed and forgotten or leave a negative impression due complete randomness of the situation. More importantly, the person hiring you wants to call you when they are ready to talk. I prefer to have looked at the person's resume, conducted an internet search of their social media, school website, and any other location I can get information on the person, and formulate a base series of questions tailored to that person before first contact. If you have not heard back from the school for a week or two after sending your resume, a call would not be a bad idea. You may have not made the first cut and you would therefore have nothing to lose, and there is a chance you say something that gets you back in the game.

Email or fax a cover letter and resume (with references). If they are interested, they will get in touch with you. If they are not interested, you may not hear back from them (although, if they are professional at all, they will contact you then, also).

No phone calls. I wouldn't even call to "check up" on the job. That just sounds desperate to me.

Look on here for openings, show up,mow the field, clean-up the locker room. Next day paint the goal post, water the field, tune up one of the old buses. Day 3 paint the old blocking sled, re-do the old billboard that says State Champs 1961and add a 201--. You will be on staff quickly. You boys gotta learn to WORK not WISH.

Thanks!
I was thinking along those same lines.

On the flip side,
from an HR perspective,
wouldn't it be advantageous to put all candidates email addresses in a single folder,
as they trickle in,
then pull out the ONE you want
sending everyone else a bulk mail out saying "you are so great and thanks and all but we picked someone else".
Wouldn't that work?
I pretty much always wonder why I didn't even get a "no thanks" from a so-called quality school.
I worked in a factory, before I started teaching, where I applied for a Regional Shipping Mgr. job.
Man, it was a huge long shot but I figgered I'd try.
I got a letter from Japan,
from the CEO's office,
(at least it said it was)
saying thanks but no thanks.

So, it prolly can be done by Texans too!

Dogface2":zewdav1e said:
Thanks!
I was thinking along those same lines.

On the flip side,
from an HR perspective,
wouldn't it be advantageous to put all candidates email addresses in a single folder,
as they trickle in,
then pull out the ONE you want
sending everyone else a bulk mail out saying "you are so great and thanks and all but we picked someone else".
Wouldn't that work?
I pretty much always wonder why I didn't even get a "no thanks" from a so-called quality school.
I worked in a factory, before I started teaching, where I applied for a Regional Shipping Mgr. job.
Man, it was a huge long shot but I figgered I'd try.
I got a letter from Japan,
from the CEO's office,
(at least it said it was)
saying thanks but no thanks.

So, it prolly can be done by Texans too!

It's not a matter of communication as much as timing. We have a few openings and have had about 50 applicants. Some interviewed in May, while others don't interview until next week. You have to be completely done, before you start telling people yes or no. Some have grown impatient with the process, but it's still a process. I get phone calls and texts from coaches every, single, day; and I'm always stumped by their persistence when we tell everyone that decisions won't be made until the interviewing process has completed. I wish we could take everyone and cal every single person individually. It's just not realistic in the small schools. We don't have an HR department. We have the supe, the principal and myself. A lot to ask one person to reach out to everyone via phone and explain why they weren't selected. Most will receive a simple email explaining tdue to the large number of applicants, the selection process took longer than expected and while their interview and credentials were impressive, we selected someone who more closely fit what we were looking for. We keep everyones information on file for one calendr year, so the door is never completelyshut.

Back