Boerne Geneva update

GSB

11-man fan
Sixman family,

Just wanted to update you on our first 11-man game. I must admit I have been cruising the website checking the 6-man scores before we even played our first game…old habits are hard to break.

We are playing an independent schedule this year and opened with East Austin College Prep. The coaches have done a fine job of teaching our team how to play with too many men on the field and our boys played really well tonight. We won 46-0.

Things will get tougher next week when we play Marble Falls Faith Academy, our old 6-man foe.

Also, I don't know if anyone has posted about this, but we lost Coach Arrufat a couple of weeks before August when he took a job at Brennan H.S. in San Antonio. We knew he was interviewing at some bigger schools and it was a wonderful opportunity for him and his family that he just could not pass up. Brennan is a powerhouse football program in San Antonio and we are proud the time at Geneva maybe helped him land this great job. We will definitely be checking the Brennan box scores weekly.

I hope it is another great year for the 6-man community. While we are enjoying the new experiences of 11-man, we very much miss our 6-man football.

Scott Stolle

I thought you were taking TMI's place in their district.

Or did TMI have a successful year in their "Episcopalians with fast 40 times" scholarship program? (Those ol' SPC habits die hard, don't they?)

Congrats to all my friends at Boerne Geneva ... and Coach Arrufat!

John

freeagent":16y2rrot said:
I thought you were taking TMI's place in their district.

Or did TMI have a successful year in their "Episcopalians with fast 40 times" scholarship program? (Those ol' SPC habits die hard, don't they?)

Congrats to all my friends at Boerne Geneva ... and Coach Arrufat!

John

Wait, that's a scholarship? I was that. Then I should've gone!

just kidding. for those who don't know, I was the first male in my family (father's side) to NOT go to TMI... and my dad was President of the Board! Back in the 'old' days before the move.

My dad actually built a house on the corner of the old campus property and lives there.

TMI did not take their spot back and we did plan on filling their spot in that district. However, as is often the case in private schools, things changed over the summer.

We made the decision to move to the 11-man DII district in December of last year when we had 46 boys sign up to play football. We had some attrition after spring football, but still ended school with 38 on the roster. Over the summer we had about 20-25 kids working out with regularity; so we thought we were good. Unfortunately, when August 3 came around we had 28 kids come out and 21 were freshmen and sophomores. We talked to the coaches in the DII district and learned pretty quickly we were basically the equivalent of many of the school's JV squads. The DII coaches were not happy, but were gracious and understood the situation. Definitely class acts.

We kept our first four games and scheduled 4 games with some of the JV teams of the DII district we were going to join. We have one additional game against a varsity squad. It was not a pleasant experience, but I know it was the right one for the boys and the program. We look forward to joining a TAPPS 11-man district in 2016-17.

We actually play TMI in week 4. I think it will be a good game.

Back