Blind side block

swires

Six-man fan
UIL just inforced a no "blind side" blocking rule with some pretty stiff penalties. I know the reason behind it is to protect the kids but I am sure going to miss getting to see a good crack!

Hmmm, do not see anywhere that blind side blocks are "outlawed". Now, the targeting of a defenseless player in the head area can draw an ejection. This is first and foremost aimed at college, because they have replay. Texas high school has had this rule for a while, but we have no replay. Because it will be discussed among officials, will it be called in error, yes, by a few. Is this what you are referring to?

Think have found where you are coming from. In the definition of a defenseless player it mentions blind side block. Again, this probably will open up can of worms, but this is one of the hardest calls to make and the folks on the field on Friday night are usually the ones with the least experience, so may be an adventure. A blind side crack is legal as long as you do not hit the player square in the back and he falls face forward. Do not agree, but that is the way many calls it.

You are correct. I was talking about where it was talking about hitting a defenseless player. So you dont think it will get called unless a player hits another in the head?

It will be interesting for sure. I am sure there will be mistaken calls by officials but I know that it will be in the best interest of the kids.

As being a former official, I do not know, but this is such a judgement call and with the "new" stuff,it is going to be a mess. For years, it has been okay to hammer a kid on a crack back, as long as you do not hit him in the "numbers" on the back. Do I agree, nope, but the powers say that in order to be illegal, the player hit must fall to the ground on his face. Does it make sense? It just makes it easier to call (?) I really do not feel they will can it any different unless the head or above shoulders is involved. Good, bad, indifferent? Mi no sabe.

You would think with all of the modern technology we have that they could invent a concussion proof helmet. It hasnt happened yet. I know that football at every level shares the risk of concussion injuries but the game was made to be a contact sport. Finding the happy medium is tricky to say the least. The pad that the San Fracisco lineman wore on top of his helmet was supposed to be a really good deterent but it never developed.

Back