Balmorhea v Strawn

The winner will not win by more than 16 points. These are 2 evenly matched teams, but I think because balmorhea has the legendary Vance jones, that will give them the upper hand and lead them into a Bears victory. Balmorhea makes school history and brings home their first state championship, as they win it by 10+

Nothing against Coach Jones and his team. He is a fine man and I'm sure his kids are great kids too. But this ole' Woodson boy is pulling for Coach Lee and them Greyhounds. I predict that at the end of the game Strawn will have at least one more point than Balmorhea. WoooooHooooo !
Strawn State Champs 2017 !

Naw, forget the “Studs”, it will come down to the TEAM that is a TEAM. All we heard all year was about a Milford player that was a “Man among boys”. Well that didn’t work out too well when all 6 Strawn players showed up on every down. One kid can make a difference in SOME games, but as the quality of the opposition increases throughout the playoffs,
The One Man theory disappears pretty quickly. Witness the Milford - Strawn game as a clear example. No one player can dominate and control a game without a TEAM around him. Milford vs. Strawn being a prime example.

Dogface2":2vosf5q8 said:
Lee and Jones have met here b4.
It will come down to which team has the MOST studs.

Ya, not the same deal. Strawn is not dependent on primarily the dominance of Trey Doyle, with an injured foot. Good as that team was. They shouldn't be shocked by a Cudegi this time around.
However, Balmoreah was there last year in Jerryworld. They were 45'd by RS late in the 4th with a record setting performance by outstanding athlete Walker Tippie and his team mates. I think they lost one player to graduation, most of the senior dominated team are experienced starters this year.
When and where did Vance Jones win his First state championship, how many does he have?

If Coach Lee has an answer for Balmorhea's trademark scoring blitz in the second half, Strawn wins. If they don't, the Bears finally win a ring.

An appropriate time for my annual Football Christmas quote courtesy of Dandy Don Meredith.
If if's and but's were candies and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.
Merry Christmas to All. Win, Place or Show. Win, Loose or Draw.

51eleven":29v3x3i0 said:
Dogface2":29v3x3i0 said:
Ya, not the same deal. Strawn is not dependent on primarily the dominance of Trey Doyle, with an injured foot. Good as that team was. They shouldn't be shocked by a Cudegi this time around.
However, Balmoreah was there last year in Jerryworld. They were 45'd by RS late in the 4th with a record setting performance by outstanding athlete Walker Tippie and his team mates. I think they lost one player to graduation, most of the senior dominated team are experienced starters this year.
When and where did Vance Jones win his First state championship, how many does he have?

The 3rd quarter in last years state game was where Balmorhea really lost it. They were only down 10 at the half but came out flat with no points scored in the 3Q. That loss has been the fuel behind this Balmorhea team this year. Maybe the big game experience and having played in that stadium will give them a bit of an edge...

Coach Jones has 3 State titles with...

1976, Marathon
2009, Garden City
2010, Garden City

State games lost with...

1975, Marathon (lost to Cherokee)
1977, Marathon (lost to May)
2002, Sanderson (lost to Calvert)
2016, Balmorhea (lost to Richland Springs)

Balmorhea’s RB/LB #9 was out the entire 3rd quarter, without him RS was able to key on #8. When #9 finally found his way back in the 4th the bears were able to at least fight till there were 2 minutes left.

Demoz24":2yc1hlwi said:
51eleven":2yc1hlwi said:
Dogface2":2yc1hlwi said:

The 3rd quarter in last years state game was where Balmorhea really lost it. They were only down 10 at the half but came out flat with no points scored in the 3Q. That loss has been the fuel behind this Balmorhea team this year. Maybe the big game experience and having played in that stadium will give them a bit of an edge...

Coach Jones has 3 State titles with...

1976, Marathon
2009, Garden City
2010, Garden City

State games lost with...

1975, Marathon (lost to Cherokee)
1977, Marathon (lost to May)
2002, Sanderson (lost to Calvert)
2016, Balmorhea (lost to Richland Springs)

Dang. I know I've read about his losses before but I 'd forgot about them. I knew about the wins.
But he's been to the dance 7 Times. Just getting there Once for so many teams is such an accomplishment that so many never experience. There's a lot of sixman coaches out there that just wish they could have lost even one state championship. And I'd forgotten that his first one was in 1975, Forty Two years ago. Some of the players dads aren't 42, much less Played back in the dark ages. Any Marathon grandchildren living in Balmoreah these day's?

Coach Able Garcia currently DC (solid defensive tactician) and his brother Adolfo Garcia Assistant coach in the 90s and later head coach for the bears Great coaches and damn good fishermen. Both from Maracas(Marathon) for lay people, and both damn good ball players.

Balmorhea is no one pony team. They’re loaded with
returning starters and hungry underclass men, some of which have played pivotal roles off the bench. Not to mention Coach Jones’ experience, stellar offensive schemes and ability to make changes when necessary.
El año de Oso
Bears by 2 touchdowns!

Having seen many of the Bears' games last year and knowing they were quite a young and becoming team, I'm going to have to say this years team is going back to Jerryworld with only one goal: To Win.

I will go on to say that these Bears have a very potent arsenal of offensive players who are just as dangerous on the defensive side of the game. When I saw Milford play Iredell in McGregor, I can attest that I was not at all impressed like I was with the Bears of last year. That said, I'm confident that these boys are going to give Strawn a taste of that Far West Texas grit that made teams like Marathon, Fort Hancock, and Garden City, all of which R. Vance Jones has some association with one way or another.

In short, these Balmorhea Bears are hungry and they're not to be underestimated.
Whooooo-ey!

FCSA football":1snvmni7 said:
Naw, forget the “Studs”, it will come down to the TEAM that is a TEAM. All we heard all year was about a Milford player that was a “Man among boys”. Well that didn’t work out too well when all 6 Strawn players showed up on every down. One kid can make a difference in SOME games, but as the quality of the opposition increases throughout the playoffs,
The One Man theory disappears pretty quickly. Witness the Milford - Strawn game as a clear example. No one player can dominate and control a game without a TEAM around him. Milford vs. Strawn being a prime example.
Actually,
That was my point.
The whole team is the stud.
Look how many different players score.
Look how many players make open field tackles.
Look how many different players make td scoring blocks!
My whole point was the one man show doesn't apply this yr.
Didn't apply in 2003 or 2008 either.
Strawn wins big. 24+

FCSA football":2yqyqw85 said:

Well both Strawn & Balmorhea have their fair share of playmakers. Neither are dependant on just one player. Like someone mentioned earlier, they seem to be evenly matched. I think it'll come down to who's defense steps up when it matters most. Both responded last Friday in the 2nd half.

Back