"Ball In"

waynea

11-man fan
Ran it to something last night I've never had to deal with. While on offense, players signal coaches that ball is slippery from sweat. Ball boy, tells side judge "Ball In" at the conclusion of next play (before the ball was set for play). Side judge says "White had determines when to change the ball". I argued that we can request a new ball -- was told "NO, White had determines".

In 13 years of coaching I've never heard that -- is this actually addressed in the rules, or is it just a crews choice?

We had a similar issue with balls coming in a couple of weeks ago- We had an official that was unable (because of his size) to keep up with plays and get back into position with the change in possession- Once he got there, our ball boy is waiting to hand off the ball, and on 2 different occasions our ball was rejected to go into play and had to play w/ the opponents ball for that series...We could not substitute for our ball as "white hat" makes the call about balls coming into play...

You get right to it, the officials determine when to change the ball. To be of the appearance you don't want to be a horses a$$, change the ball when you are asked to.

cowman52":1xg4x7pj said:
You get right to it, the officials determine when to change the ball. To be of the appearance you don't want to be a horses a$$, change the ball when you are asked to.

This.

But additionally - 6-man ball boys are usually JH kids who may or not be handy - or even have clue about what's going on. If you as coaches want fresh balls rotated in and out - it is your responsibility to have ball persons who are readily available to the official on your sideline.

If your balls are getting sweaty - provide the umpire with a towel so he can wipe your balls off.

I should win a prize for posting the most glaring double entendre of the month.

Ball Boy was a High School player and stayed right with the official the whole play. On this particular play the ball boy repeatedly asked to be able to put a new ball in, and the official just told him he couldn't ask, that the White hat had to ask.

Back