A little pre-DCTF talk

Blue Bird

Six-man pro
It has amused me more than just little reading all of the posts this winter about how soon Zephyr will meet Gordon in the playoffs. Zephyr will graduate at least 8 kids off of their varsity. Now I will grant you that their two RB's on thier JV are probably faster than anyone else the the district, so the cupboard is not completely bare. But it will take a major retooling.

Last year there was a 3-way tie and coin toss for the playoffs, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see another 3-way tie this year! And there are no garuntees that Zephyr will be one of the three. Santa Anna and Rochelle were both in the coin toss. Both graduated at least two solid players off of their varsity. Both have their key, special, important SB's returning. They will be good. May will graduate 3 two way starters, but their JV was solid losing only to Zephyr and Gordon. By district they should be at least as good as last year.

Lometa had more than their fair share of problems last year. By the time they hit district last year most of their seniors were no longer on the team due to some discipline problems. So you could say with some accuracy that they played their district schedule with their JV. By the time you remove everyone else's seniors, the playing field becomes much more even.

I would suggest that the playoff spots in this district are very much up for grabs. It will be very interesting to see where the DCTF places everyone. Leman do you have any say in where the DCTF projects finishes?

Zephyr JV kids were not faster then the Santa Anna SB, or the two Rochelle backs, or the Howard kid from May, nor would I put them above Lometas RB. Dont get me wrong I think Zephyr will have some decent kids but this district will have some talented kids and at this point it would be hard to determine the top teams. Santa Anna and Rochelle could be with the speed they have returning but they have to both replace linemen. May has to rebuild a team that was based on pure power this year. Lometa had some talented but young and inexperienced kids that should only get better with age. Zephyr 2012 JV will be solid but not sure they can push for the playoffs this year.

Blue Bird - I did absolutly every thing for public school six-man this year but write the Coverboy article or officially select who the coverboy was (but I did make a suggestion and that was who was picked).

There is no doubt this was the hardest district to try to predict the finish...and keep in mind there are deadlines for everything and when coaches havn't turned in their team info and you have to select some of these things...it make it a lot harder to read the tea leaves.

When picking I try to take in as much info as I can..what the teams did in disrtict last season and how many players each team retuns and how many of those players on each team were at key positions are the things I look at the most. Then I take in who there coaches are and coaching changes and what other coaches in their District/Region think about those teams. I try to put a lot of thought into every single thing that goes in the magazine.

Bye the way...
Throckmorton's district is another hard one!

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Zephyr graduate their whole offensive & defensive players? I have been seeing a lot of chatter on here lately about how they will meet Gordon in the 3rd round of the playoffs this upcoming season. I wouldn't try to predict things so early, especially in a district like this. Look what happened last season when people picked Zephyr to make a deep playoff run. I'm not bashing on Zephyr or anything, I'm just sayin'. I'm just ready to watch all these teams play again, but of course I'll be rooting for my Santa Anna Mountaineers!

I am probably splitting hairs for no good reason. I will agree that the SB from SA is an outstanding athlete and if push came to shove I would probably pick SA to win the district. He won the long jump, the triple jump and the 300 hurdles at his district track meet. I would, however, suggest that there is a reason why he is running the 300 hurdles and not the 100 meter dash! One of those JV Rb from Zephyr was down in Austin running on a 1600 meter relay.

Well Leman, let me be one of the last people around to congratulate you on the job you do for DCTF. I suspect at times around this board it can be a rather thankless job. I hope you are well compensated to offset that feeling.

I honestly don't think a coin toss will be needed this year. I don't think everyone is as evenly matched as they were last season, but the battle for that district championship should still be plenty tough. I'm just ready for some Friday Night Lights!

I don't know that I can agree with the "no three way tie" idea. I don't see SA getting much if any help from their JV. So to begin the year they will be worse instead of better and will have to depend on Valencia on both sides of the ball even more. They are going to put a lot of pressure on that young man to produce even more than last year. As long as he stays healthy, he will probably be up to the challenge. I was impressed with his play against Gordon, he never quit!

Dogface2":ke82faw8 said:
SavannahSixManFan":ke82faw8 said:
How 'bout them Hornets?
Actually,
they're still waiting on that fly-by.

Here it comes......

crop-duster-mtopper.jpg

Old Bearkat":pij7mzj0 said:
Dogface2":pij7mzj0 said:
SavannahSixManFan":pij7mzj0 said:
How 'bout them Hornets?
Actually,
they're still waiting on that fly-by.

Here it comes......

crop-duster-mtopper.jpg

Nice pic, Savannah this district should be a fight to the end again, Hornets have as good of shot as the other teams in district. As always I'm pulling for them to win there first district championship, NO COIN FLIPS

every year I hear people talk about the last years JV, its a completely different game at the varsity level...

I use to think that speed kills in sixman but have watched over the past few years as strength especially on the offensive side of the ball makes the smaller faster kids on defense to have to play in the trenches and seems to definitely show up with dividends being reaped in the 3rd and 4th quarter for those who play power football...

im ready to hear the clash of pads... and coaches yelling do it again one more time

good luck to all

and for each young man that laces up those cleats cherish each moment it is fleeting but will leave lasting memories, revel in opportunity that you have to play for your team..

one last comment and I will shut up for a while at least....

each player needs to remember there are young ones that are watching you everyday,, the words you use, how hard you work, how hard you play, you may not have chosen to be a roll model but you are!! so go out there WORK hard, show the class and integrity that has been instilled by those who walked, those hallowed halls before you... yes there is blood, sweat, and tears that stain those fields but here is where boys learn to be men and men become leaders!!!

Back