A couple of scenarios from Friday night

Chap_24

11-man fan
Had a couple of situations Friday that I did not agree with the officials and I am not sure on the rule.

Situation 1

The clock was running and the offense had a false start. The penalty was marked off and after the ball was spotted the clock was started again with a fresh 25 seconds. I disagree that the clock should be started in this situation for this reason. Let's say you have the ball on the opponents 5 yard line with a 1 point lead and 5:30 left on the clock. If this is the rule then you don't have to ever snap the ball again because you could false start every down and waste 24 seconds a play and back up all the way to your own 5 and have wasted the entire clock.

Situation 2

There was about 1:45 left in a 6 point game and the offensive team had the lead trying to run out the clock and every other play they would need to switch footballs. This conveniently ran about 10 seconds off the clock each time they threw in a new ball. They did it 3 or 4 times which was crucial in such a close game. The team that was down got a stop with about 30 seconds left when it should have been probably closer to a minute. So my question is can you switch footballs as many times as you would like and should the clock run in this situation?

Situation 1. Starting the clock is correct, however, if in the discretion of the referee that the false starts are deliberate to eat up the clock, he may stop the clock using the "unfair clock tactics" rule. Which states: the referee shall order the game clock or play clock started or stopped whenever either team conserves or consumes playing time by tactics abviously unfair. This includes starting the game clock on the snap if the foul is by the team ahead in the score.

Although I could not find a rule on it. It seems as if situation 2 could fall under this same rule. Depends on if the ball is wet or not, had they been changing balls every other play all game, etc.

hornkeeper12":16q9tslq said:
Although I could not find a rule on it. It seems as if situation 2 could fall under this same rule. Depends on if the ball is wet or not, had they been changing balls every other play all game, etc.

Situation #2 could fall under the same rule, but its something that will never be used. It's a tactic used very often and, while I don't like it, it's really no different that laying on the ball after a short run to make the official take longer to spot the ball, thus running the clock. They're all stall tactics, but seldom disciplined by an official. I have seen officials refuse the ball exchange, but never penalize a coach for trying. It's really up to the official to accept the new ball, thus becoming part of the problem and not the solution.

Alright then is there a point where they determine this in situation one or is it up to the discretion of the ref? Because even if you got away with doing this two or three times that makes a huge difference if you can run off over a minute at the end of the game.

Thanks for the info.

It is entirely up to the discretion of the refs, and I've only seen it used once, after a THIRD consective delay of game penalty. But we won anyway. So it didn't work for them. :)

100% up to the ref. They have to be careful to make sure they're being fair and consistent. If they allow you to switch balls throughout the game, they can't change it to help speed up the game for the team who is behind. Their are several teams who change balls after a long pass, bad pass, have a kicking ball, ect. It's a no-win situation for the official and nothing in the book to stop it from happening.

The field was completely dry and this was the first time they had thrown in a new ball all game. No doubt it was to waste time.

A point of emphasis for officiating crews is to maintain the same pace throughout the game. Ideally, you want to get the ball back between the hashes, get it spotted, and blow the "ready" in consistent manner which does not disrupt the flow of the game. You want to be quick so as to not waste time or slow down the game, but hurring too much means that you aren't watching the players and doing your proper "dead ball officiating."

The officials were correct to start the clock with a fresh play clock after the false start, but in a situation where the referee feels that the tactic is being used intentionally to run down the clock, he can stop it.

The problem, as you guys nailed it, is that is comes down to the discretion of the official. Best advice is to communicate what you feel is happening to your wing official as calmly as possible.

Here is the rule:

When the ball becomes dead in a side zone, is unfit for play, is subject to
measurement in a side zone or is inaccessible, a replacement ball shall be
obtained from a ball person (A.R. 1-3-2-I).
The referee or umpire shall determine the legality of each ball before it is
put in play.

If we have a run to the opposite sideline, we are not going to get a new ball from clear across the other side of the field, unless there is something wrong with the one we have. The Referee and Umpire, by rule determine that, not the teams. Here is the play situation noted in the rule above:

AR. 1-3-2-I: On fourth down, kicker A1 enters the field with an approved game ball
and asks the referee to substitute it for the ball used during the previous
down. RULING: Substitution of the ball is not permitted.

Back