1A Mascot Rebranding

Carbon closed their doors around 1990. My poor memory is saying they were the Wolverines, but i really could be wrong. Just a side note, the career ladder for teachers pretty much did them in. They put every teacher in the school on the ladder with the pay raise to go with it. After a couple of years, the state required advancement up the ladder, but took away the money for the additional salary. Pretty much hung them out to dry.

For all you Happy Fellers out there, I believe that the May Flowers would be a better moniker than May Showers. If not, I don't know what boat you got off.

Ira Investments (IRA)
Leaky Faucets
Loraine Shirleys
Sidney Downunders
Campbell Soups
Chester Fields
Cherokee Jeeps
Santa Anna Generals
Rule Goldens
Baird Breads or Loafs
Sanderson Farms
Groom Brides

Last edited:
Spur Rabbits
Jonesboro Jackals
Buena Vista Amigos
Marfa Lights
Bryson Bison
Gholson Ghosts
Leakey Pipes
Meadow Marauders
Anton Anteaters
Moran Moran
Robert Lee Travelers!

Last edited:
As we wait for the season to begin and teams come together for this first week of practice (formerly known as two-a-days), I thought it would be refreshing to dive into a fun, crazy, and hypothetical topic. I can not take credit for this idea as I have seen this topic on another outlet, but I have never seen it broached on this website and thought it would be fun to do.

What if schools went through a rebranding type process with picking new mascots? Doing my best to keep them original, here are my suggestions for new mascots for some 1A schools.

What are your suggestions?

Along these lines, in his 1996 season preview “The Huntress Report” newsletter, Granger listed the Iredell Dragons team strength as “Mascot breaths fire.” So yes mascots matter!

Abbott Abbots
Apple Springs Apple Pickers
Borden County Dairy Farmers
Chester Chupacabras
(we need this mascot in Texas)
Cotton Center Cottonclads (type of ship used to defend Texas in the Civil War)
Dell City Dust Devils
Eden Gardeners
Gholson Golems
(you can’t go wrong with mythical creatures)
Gorman Goobers (highlights local economy and Mr. Peanut could be the mascot!)
Guthrie Ranch Hands (would probably be the most accurate mascot in the state)
High Island High Tides (Sandbars would be cool too…motto “we’re here to wreck your ship”)
Klondike Prospectors – or maybe Mushers (guy driving a dog sled)
Lefors Jedi (“May Lefors be with You”)
Hart Surgeons (masked man with a scalpel is kind of a scary mascot!)
Marfa Hipsters (they need to be the first to change mascots so they can say they did it before it was cool…I wanted to go with Phantasms in honor of the lights but this is better)
Morgan Freemen (best impersonators would have to be stadium announcers I would think)
Robert Lee Rabbit Twisters (local significance, unique with flare and anything is better than a castrated bull)
Sands Sandmen (best pregame entrance music in the state…“Enter the Sandmen!”)
Whitharral Windmills
Zephyr Blue Northers
(after all that is what the town was named after as the story goes)
How about The Marfa Mafia ----- The Hart Beats ------ The Abbott Costillos ------ The Lefors Pennys---------
The Eden Watch out for that snake ----- the Zephyr Zippers----- The Klondike Bars----- The Gholson Busterens
The High Island check for low water before diving-----The Richland Springs Bouncy Beds

Back