51eleven

Six-man expert
19 years ago was my first exposure to six man playoff's. I'd seen 3-4 Strawn - Gordon games in the previous 5-6 years and a couple or three others, enough to come to love it. Living in Justin it was a long way to see any Strawn games but they made the state semi final that year 13-0 against 13-0 Trinidad.
At the stadium in Joshua I thought wow, this many people here for a sixman game?
Strawn had an outstanding spreadback by the name of Shane Mallory. They put up 40 points but Damien Jackson and Trinidad rolled over them 88-40, as they did Borden County 62-16 the next week to win state. They 45'd Calvert twice that year as well as Milford and Abbott among all other opponents.
Still the best athlete I've seen personally on a 6man field other than maybe Tippie.

I was at that game too,still have a t-shirt that i bought from that game hanging in the closet,wont fit now,,i may be wrong but im thinking that game was in Glen Rose??

The State game was in Glen Rose, which was the farthest east the championship game had been played if I remember correctly. I lived in Granbury at the time and had never seen a 6 man game. Your right Jackson was a man amongst boys that day.

markf":ntku45mg said:
Maybe I'm thinking of Trinidad vs Panther Creek that was in Glen Rose on a very Cold night, right Granger

That night game was brutal. Injuries for Trinidad. I drove 10 miles the wrong direction when I left just because I was so cold and wasn't paying attention.

The day game the next year was cold on the drive up, sunny. I remember being shocked how quickly it was over.

Hey coach, doing well thanks, have about a year to go and I'll be in Tool permanently,Have a great Christmas.The game against Panther Creek was so cold my partner Elmo spilled coffee on his coveralls and it froze, brutal,,was a classic game

One of the few state games I didnt go see (since 1995) bc I didnt want to drive that far for a game I thought would be a 45er (sorry BC folks)

98 we lost by 45 to a solid Gordon team in the 2nd round (they had some big dude with a beard named Joe Kostiha)

We originally agreed upon the game being played in Brownwood. The Saturday before the State Championship we met on the Brownwood field to settle on the particulars, and we did not like the condition it was in. We decided to move the site to Glen Rose because of the great facilities they had and the condition of the field was good. This was not a popular decision back home because of the further distance to travel. Maybe we should have stayed in Brownwood and hoped for rain, that may have slowed the speedy Jackson up a bit.

bavery":2pza8wfp said:
We originally agreed upon the game being played in Brownwood. The Saturday before the State Championship we met on the Brownwood field to settle on the particulars, and we did not like the condition it was in. We decided to move the site to Glen Rose because of the great facilities they had and the condition of the field was good. This was not a popular decision back home because of the further distance to travel. Maybe we should have stayed in Brownwood and hoped for rain, that may have slowed the speedy Jackson up a bit.

Actually, we flipped (played the zip code game) for home field. Abilene Wylie was home field for BC and Glen Rose was home field for Trinidad. Yes, I remember scaling the fence at Gordon Wood to check out the playing surface! Don't have to worry about those kinds of things nowadays...

You are right trojanruler, i had forgotten about the flip. I do remember scaling the fence though. I couldn't get my fat but over it now though.

Somewhere in what I read while googling more about this thread I saw Damien Jackson went to Tarleton.
Turns out he started for two years at wide receiver. Honorable Mention in the Lone Star Conference in 2002. In 2001 he led the team with 31 receptions for 758 yard's and 10 TD's at WR. They won the LSC that year. Beat Chadron State (google Them) but lost to the University of California, Davis.
The 10 TD's is still tied for most by a WR.
Earned an education from playing Sixman Football, initially, in the process.

Back