Wildcat Formation

CleverUsername1

11-man fan
Has anyone ever successfully adapted the wildcat formation to six-man? In 11 man there are really only about 3 plays in wildcat, but in six-man there would be a lot more options, and it could be ran out of several different configurations. Jet sweep to the motion man, spread back sweep towards the strong side with the motion man as a lead blocker, counter to the weak side with the spread back to keep the defense honest and keep them from overloading the strong side, traditional option where the motion man and the pitch man fan out to the flats, the wideouts run streaks and the center mirrors the spread back in the flats, and if you wanted to you could even run a jet sweep reverse where the motion man gets the sweep then the wideout takes the reverse. My junior and senior years under coach McFarlin we experimented with motion a little bit, but we didn't really explore all the options it had to offer. I was just wondering if a team has ever ran this offense a lot with any success.

We run some motion but nothing I would interpret as WILDCAT. I think the advantages of the wildcat are hard to get in a sixman formation. The only thing I could think of is possibly some type of EMPTY formation where you would have 4 on the line and one in the slot. This would give you the ability to motion a guy from either direction. It would open up some speed sweeps and reverse inside pitches. Possibly some interesting options. Would need a lot of trial and error though.

CoachTJones":m488c041 said:
We run some motion but nothing I would interpret as WILDCAT. I think the advantages of the wildcat are hard to get in a sixman formation. The only thing I could think of is possibly some type of EMPTY formation where you would have 4 on the line and one in the slot. This would give you the ability to motion a guy from either direction. It would open up some speed sweeps and reverse inside pitches. Possibly some interesting options. Would need a lot of trial and error though.
That sounds interesting. What I had in mind was either a balanced spread with a slot lined up between the center and wideout splitting the distance in half, or trips with the back receiver (slot) being the motion man. But your idea sounds a lot better. A team with a lot of speed could really take advantage of a scheme like that, although it would take a lot of reps to hammer out the kinks and perfect an offense with that many moving parts.

CleverUsername1":1wl4nozz said:
That sounds interesting. What I had in mind was either a balanced spread with a slot lined up between the center and wideout splitting the distance in half, or trips with the back receiver (slot) being the motion man. But your idea sounds a lot better. A team with a lot of speed could really take advantage of a scheme like that, although it would take a lot of reps to hammer out the kinks and perfect an offense with that many moving parts.

We run a little bit of the slot and motion him. We run a sort of option out of this where the upback receives the snap and pitches to the motion man(slot) who then runs an option with the spreadback.

Back