Wild Fires

I just saw a report from Midland's channel 9. They're saying that the fire got into Ft. Davis. I'm praying for all those being hit by these fires.

http://www.newswest9.com/Global/story.asp?S=14416046

Fires Erupting Around West Texas

WEST TEXAS - Fires are starting to erupt all over the region.

A large fire is burning south of Interstate 20 near FM 1788. That fire is moving northeast and sending smoke over the City of Midland.

Crews are evacuating people who live south of I-20, east of 1788 and north of County Road 160 in Midland County.

A fire burning off Highway 17 in Jeff Davis County. That fire is forcing the evacuations of Mano Prieto subdivision and Fort David Estates.

There are also three fires reported near Alpine. One is near the Sunny Glen area. Another is near the Hilltop Baptist Church and the third is north of the intersection of Highway 67 and Highway 90.

My Mom and sister had to do the evac thing, the place is south if I20 and west of Midkiff Rd. Sis said the fire was contained about a mile from the house. And thats a good thing. What scares me is the number of houses south and west of thier place.

Looks like I'll be considering loading up the tractor and heading to Midland to do some fire lane maintanance.

I just got back into the station after a 96 hour deployment. I thought that 2006 was the worst year for fires in my 17 years but this was amazing. We started out going to do a standby in Hico but got turned towards Abiline then Haskell. Fought fire about 14 miles west of Benjamin for 91 of 96 hours with little cat naps in between. I had never seen trees just explode the way these were and the wind was blowing so hard. I was lucky that I got to go to into Benjamin and check on a rental property that my family owns. When I left they said that the fire had burned 81,000. Keep these guys in your prayers

Just wondering if any schools got hit hard?
How's Ft. Davis ISD?
Has anyone heard anything from the Red Cross
mobilizing any support groups?

23 homes destroyed in Ft. Davis (El Paso Times count), and electrical workers are working on the power. 80 percent has been restored. No reports on the school, but it said 60 percent of the fire has been contained, and 30,000 acre fire was still burning in neighboring Brewster Co.

All of our prayers are with the 6man communities being hit by these wildfires.

Dogface":myu5loru said:
Just wondering if any schools got hit hard?
How's Ft. Davis ISD?
Has anyone heard anything from the Red Cross
mobilizing any support groups?

There's a Facebook page called Fort Davis Fires that has that info Dogface. I would post a link, but I don't know how. I saw earlier today that they were looking for money, because they had so many goods that they didn't know what to do with a lot of it.

Where is the Red Cross?

If they don't show up again,
let all contributors take note.

I don't give to them personally
after they kept all that money designated for 911.
Then gave the executives a raise.

Dogface":16y7zxbe said:
Where is the Red Cross?

If they don't show up again,
let all contributors take note.

I don't give to them personally
after they kept all that money designated for 911.
Then gave the executives a raise.

That is just one example of why I do not give to the Red Cross. There are multiple times they have done crap like that. The Salvation Army is a much better organization for your charity.

fireguy5455":1ues6f0o said:
I just got back into the station after a 96 hour deployment. I thought that 2006 was the worst year for fires in my 17 years but this was amazing. We started out going to do a standby in Hico but got turned towards Abiline then Haskell. Fought fire about 14 miles west of Benjamin for 91 of 96 hours with little cat naps in between. I had never seen trees just explode the way these were and the wind was blowing so hard. I was lucky that I got to go to into Benjamin and check on a rental property that my family owns. When I left they said that the fire had burned 81,000. Keep these guys in your prayers

Thank you for your efforts!!!! We can burn up nearly an entire county in this area and its just "another fire". Last word I got was they havent lost a single structure. Cedars burning are cool, black smoke then a huge fire ball. Burnt cedars make for a mess later as the top growth dies and gets hard as glass. Cowboys and their horses hate em after they burn.

Where are you stationed?? If in the area someday I will drop in and shake your hand!!

Thanks again!!

WildcatClassOf89":3e9ontuf said:
fireguy5455":3e9ontuf said:

Thank you for your efforts!!!! We can burn up nearly an entire county in this area and its just "another fire". Last word I got was they havent lost a single structure. Cedars burning are cool, black smoke then a huge fire ball. Burnt cedars make for a mess later as the top growth dies and gets hard as glass. Cowboys and their horses hate em after they burn.

Where are you stationed?? If in the area someday I will drop in and shake your hand!!

Thanks again!!
I'm on the southside of Fort Worth in Crowley. Station 2 "C" shift. Come on by and I'll buy ya a cup of coffee.

This will give you some idea of how big these wildfires can get. This fire south of Iraan has reportedly burned over 26,000 acres which is only about a 4th the size of the Ft. Davis fire.

Devils_Advocate":1c8tfqvx said:
This will give you some idea of how big these wildfires can get. This fire south of Iraan has reportedly burned over 26,000 acres which is only about a 4th the size of the Ft. Davis fire.

That's about what I imagine hell to look like. Scary.

The "Wildcat Fire" that is south of Robert Lee has burned up over 116,000 acres. Ash from it has been falling in Blackwell for 2 days now. Went out just south of Tennyson to move equipment to help fight the fire and when we got out of the truck it was like hitting a wall of heat and the fire was probably 5-10 miles away from us.

Back