Where Does He Now Rank?

It’s crazy that people are saying Crocket is the best ever. He is dang good player but to say the best no sir.
DeWayne miles went on and played in the NFL that’s the best ever.
Tyler E. Lost one game in 4 years of high school. Won 3 titles could say he’s the best.
Crocket could fall in the top 20 maybe.

IMO I agree Miles is the best (he only was given a tryout I believe for NFL team or maybe was on a practice team for a bit cant remember...think Detroit).

Coaches whose opinions I respect have said Manuel Beltran at Cherokee was much better than TE. I leave that debate for those that saw both play.

Jack Pardee obviously can be argued as the greatest, Ken Konz as well, but very hard to compare players today with them.

It is all a matter of opinion and what you value more, big bad RB/LB or a SB/QB. TE was the greatest player in 6man for 4 years, he was amazing as a freshman, so was Lance Morris at Ira. Both of whom benefited by having the same coach and a part of a program for 4 years.

Crockett and Parsley I think are probably the best 2 players of this decade...again what you value most determines which you think is the best...a RB or a QB.

To me having the ability to go on and play and even excelle in college only adds another check by your name for the greatest player. Miles is the best Ive seen. Crockett, Jackson, Ethridge, Parsley, Campbell round out the next level (I didnt see Cheetah play mind you). So my answer to the question where does Crockett rank...in the last 30 years...top 5 no question in my mind. I personally value RB/LB more than QB/SB but that's just me.

In the RB vs SB side I'd have to consider Walker Tippie of RS in the top 10 on the RB side, maybe top 5 in the last 25 years. Though I've seen way less than you Leman. I only saw him two games. He dominated Lingleville, as well as the state game. Didn't he set the record for yardage and TD's in it?

I'd like to see this broke up into another category.

Its an advantage for a RB to have the ability to throw, with the obvious reasons, defenses have to stop the run with 3 to 4 guys when that player has the ball while a RB that isn't able to throw the ball at a high level and defenses know that 90% of the time that player is going to be running adds another development.

I love these debates on ESPN and different sporting networks, cause it kills time and gives us something to do. My opinion is no more credited or valued more than anyone elses (just wanted to make that clear). I have seen a lot of sixman football over the course of my life.

I'm going to remove the RBs that are dual threat. In my opinion and my opinion only, if i was a coach I would always take the guy that could do both at a high level, cause it makes everyone else on their team better.

Yes all RBs can throw occasional passes against teams that they are better than and add some stats or show some coaches, "Oh he can throw if you sellout!" but when being identified as what type of RB they are they are run first guys.

WIth that being said, Crockett is a household name. So that answers some of the biggest questions that most have. Where does he rank? Social media, message boards, televised games and the growth and respect of sixman football in the news media has added to that where a lot of other great players have not had that chances.

So this is my criteria. Last 28 years, If I thought a player was in a similar system, played in at least semi-final or beyond ( this will knock a lot out, but you do have to dominate against the best of that year), a RB not SB.

Ben Crockett is in a system that allows him to get 48 carries in a game. After watching last years state game, it was clear that Mclean had plenty of weapons, but the system is based around the mindset to build around him. Can't fault it, they have the hardware and might get another.

Not sure on spelling of all these young men:

1) Dewayne Miles-Amherst
2) Damian Jackson-Trinidad
3) Mark Ford-Calvert
4) Ben Crockett-McLean
5)Tanner Hodgkins-Strawn
6) Cammeron Bucannon-Valley
7) Jared Hicks-Richland Springs
8) Josh Colunga-Garden City
9) Bryce Hogue-Throckmorton
10) Walker Tippie-Richland Springs (not a great passer, but did throw to wide open guys)

my top 5 RBs that played bothsides of the ball equally as dominating

1) Ben Crockett-Mclean
2) Tanner Hodgkins-Strawn
3) Mark Ford-Calvert
4) Bryce Hogue-Throckmorton
5)Jared Hicks-Richland Springs

That was fun, good memory lane. I'm sure I left off some good ones that will hit me later.

I have who I think the All-time players are which would knock some of these out.

Crockett isn’t in a system where he gets the ball 40-50 times a game unless obviously needed. I’d like to see how many games where he did have 40+ carries a game. He is no doubt a top 5 RB of all-time. Jared Hicks played spreadback from the film I’ve watched. I also thought Tippie was great but not the size/strength of Miles or Crockett, but he ran very smooth. Made others look like they were in slow motion. Who was Throcks QB with Hogue? I thought he was the QB of that team. Just a question.

I’m with Leman here, I would take a freak athlete with measurable like Miles and Crockett over a SB. To each their own. I’m not disagreeing with you btw, the players on that list are great. I saw TE as a freshman dominate Valley at the state game. I will also say that his supporting cast was unbelievably good too. Some great defense on that particular team!

People also tend to forget or never even know great athletes that are on bad teams. Orlando Bell from Star comes to mind from about 8 or 9 years ago. He did have one or two guys to throw to and a couple guys to help on defense (which is why they made the 3rd round those years).

All the players mentioned before are exceptional but how good would they be on a team with terrible athletes around them. Say for instance putting Crockett on the lowest ranked team in the Division with terrible blockers, how good would he be this year? Would anyone even know him besides maybe his own district?

Makes it tough to compare all the ones that could've been great with good supporting casts. Still all the ones mentioned before are studs.
All in all football is a team sport and without some sort of supporting cast around those great players they wouldn't be winners or maybe even memorable at all.

I agree with Orlando Bell, he was outstanding. That’s why I mentioned Tanner Woods and Mason Pierce. Tanner Woods was a clone of Tyler Ethridge but a few years older. He had one year where he had a team that could do some damage in the playoffs but had some injuries against Patton (Mason Pierce) before they went on to lose to a very solid Whotharral team (with a new coach OMalley I believe). Mason And Patton Springs barely lost to thatvsame valley team and was eliminated in the first round by Follett that same year. If I remember correctly he was 6’3” 215 and ran a 4.5 40. He was the best player on the field on film with whoever they played, which is why he went on to play 4 years at Abilene Christian.

There are many others, Chris Garza at Loop and then Meadow (I believe). The Streetey’s were dominate for Meadow. In other words, I agree that some of the best players have been forgotten or were on a team with weaker players than the state championship legends. That’s the main 2 that come to mind when talking about the best ever that didn’t win or on a team that just couldn’t win it all.

IMO Hutton Lusty was far better all around football player than Walker Tippie...remember who was lead blocker for Tippie all that time freeing him up...Lusty...powerful RB and epic defender.

I played Against TE in high school the kid was unbelievably good. He did things on the field i thought were impossible. He could contort his body to fit through holes i thought we had blocked off. He was an amazing talent, and could throw the ball down field like no one else i have ever seen in ^ man football since. I also played against a kid named Jonathan Lindsey from Strawn that kid was the same size as Crockett, and just as fast. He carried Strawn to the state championship his senior year. Beating Richland Springs in the first round and Gordon in a rematch in the 3rd round. I give my vote to one of these two i played against them and that the only fair way for my vote to go i can not comment on the other people. i have never seen them play.

Yes sir, not offended at all with no agreeing with me. I tried to take my opinion to the bank the other day and told the cashier it was worth 10 dollars and she hand me a 25 cents. Go figure.

Yes its the nature of the beast that athletes of high caliber never seeing the accolades or acknowledgment due to teams, community, culture, parents, coaching schemes not allowing them to enter conversations of such debate and afternoon discussions. That is the case in professional, amateur, and youth sports across the nation.

I don't recall the exact year that I went to all star game and watched the Ira Running back Morris, Rankin RB Michum, Valley RB Buccannon, Borden County QB RIchey, Throckmorton WR Farqhaur, Throckmorton RB Taylor and RB from Anton all on the same team at the same time. My own criteria eliminated some of those guys.

Don't disagree with an other names on these discussions.

The Hogue kid was something really special to watch. He was with an unreal team with weapons every where, so the team was reconized for more than individuals on the team and in the media. His senior year they ran alot spread the game i attended, but his sophomore and junior year he showed his RB skills to be elite. I think I read somewhere he went on a played College football, I thought he was an unreal Safety.

I left out a kid from Grandfalls royalty James Stocks, (maybe similar size as crockett) who in an all star game didn't play offense the first half and stormed back almost down 45 points if i recall right and made it a close game. He had a good carreer and when surrounded with a little bit better supporting cast was really able to let his talents show.

Mark Brown from Rochester Tx i thought if he was better team he would be in these conversations.

I agree with Lusty and that one was like I said earlier might forget, and Walker was at the right end of following his blocks.

I think alot can be said for #2 who blocks for Crockett

I hope we didn't get off track, Crockett does rank in the conversations for sure. I'm excited for the Blum game and I feel the match up again will be much closer. Rankins style of offense I think would have caused Blum some issues. Blums defense in my opinion is built to get their stops. Mclean still wins in my 25 cent opinon, but i'm pulling for Blum and can see the upset happening for sure.

I'm not trying to take from Crockett but if you saw the McLean team last year it was some of the biggest and best blocking I've seen in years. So what players did the most with less.

Wildcatman":2pizseqv said:
8) Josh Colunga-Garden City

This little guy was the Steph Curry of sixman running backs in the fact he was good at a few things. I do not remember him even playing defense (at least full-time) and never saw him throw. If we had all the guys listed in this form wrestled, he would get last and it wouldn't even be close.

With that said, however, he, like Steph Curry, might be the best offensive player because you get him in space, Garden City did it with blocking and I assume you could throw to him out of spread, and he gain yards like few I've ever seen. Although I have seen other players like him with lesser ability, I also think Colunga, like Curry, is in a league of his own.

Coach Roach":20wxf5po said:
I saw TE as a freshman dominate Valley at the state game. I will also say that his supporting cast was unbelievably good too. Some great defense on that particular team!

That freshman year team RS team had a bunch of holdovers from the Hicks years with a lot of talent (Logan Lewis, Tyler Fox, etc.) While TE's supporting cast in his own grade (Patrick Couch, Shelby Smith, Mark Williams, Haustin Burkhart) were very talented, there is this one little game against Lometa in the 2006 seasons where Ethridge hurt himself, did not play the first half, Lometa and Richland were tied 6-6, Ethridge puts on his pads, and they 45 Lometa in before the 3rd quarter ends. Although I mean zero disrespect to any of the guys I mentioned above because they were all phenomenal athletes, I think this game solidified TE as the greatest of all-time.

6Man - TE is the GOAT. Saw him as a freshman in the state championship game and he made the Defensive MVP (Walden) look like the average Joe. Aspermont played them he best that season.
-Crockett reminds me of Auston English from Canadian. (Played DE for the Sooners) and played RB/DE in 2A, now called 3A). English may have been taller and ran a 4.5 40 but I see Crockett being basically the same player. If he wants it, he will get it... Hes pure muscle at about 225 and looks the part. May need a bit more quickness but hes a big back. Always have to credit the other 5 on the team because he couldnt do it without them, or coach Linman. Crockett should be looked at in the college ranks though.

Coach Roach":f53ha88g said:
Crockett isn’t in a system where he gets the ball 40-50 times a game unless obviously needed. I’d like to see how many games where he did have 40+ carries a game. He is no doubt a top 5 RB of all-time. Jared Hicks played spreadback from the film I’ve watched. I also thought Tippie was great but not the size/strength of Miles or Crockett, but he ran very smooth. Made others look like they were in slow motion. Who was Throcks QB with Hogue? I thought he was the QB of that team. Just a question.

I’m with Leman here, I would take a freak athlete with measurable like Miles and Crockett over a SB. To each their own. I’m not disagreeing with you btw, the players on that list are great. I saw TE as a freshman dominate Valley at the state game. I will also say that his supporting cast was unbelievably good too. Some great defense on that particular team!

Throcks QB during the Hogue era was my older brother, Braxton Oliver.

Debate all you want about 2 - whatever but #1 there is no debate. Jack Pardee was the best six-man player ever. All Pro in NFL and an NFL coach. Now continue the debate for #2 - # 10.

I am excited to see Crockett play from the comfort of my own living room and will leave my thoughts afterwards!

Oliver":2bdhsgha said:
Coach Roach":2bdhsgha said:

Throcks QB during the Hogue era was my older brother, Braxton Oliver.

That’s right. I was very impressed with him as QB. Very accurate and had some good zip on the ball. There been so many good Throcknorton teams it’s hard to remember all of the names. I can’t even remember the names from yalls first state championship in 2005. That was a great team as well.

Back