Where Does He Now Rank?

Redraider092

Six-man fan
This question is not intended on starting an ugly debate. I’m looking for feedback from the most knowledgeable and qualified experts out there. Those who have followed 6-man in much more depth than myself. And not completely biased opinions from someone who’s son played in the mid 90’s.

Where does Crockett now rank as an all-time great 6-man athlete? I can only assume he’s in the top 10, if not top 5. Does anyone dare say #1? The only names I know that start to fall on a possible list is Tyler Ethridge and Dewayne Miles. But I know there’s more but the list shouldn’t be long. Appreciate the civilized input.

While I haven't seen him enough to really judge, how good is he on defense? Ethridge was arguably better as safety/linebacker type than as a spread back.

Other Studs:
- William Covington, Lohn, 1987
- that little guy from Garden City, his name was like Culanga, 2009.
- Trey Doyle, Strawn, 2009
- Thomas Burns, Grandfalls-Royalty, 2013

Best player of this decade. (Mitchell Parsley probably #2)

Morden Times he's in the convo for best

All-Time in the convo for top 10

vs Tyler Ethridge...Crockett is as fast, bigger and stronger and better running back and linebacker. TE more elusive (though Crockett doesn't have to be elusive he stiff arms or runs over you) and better arm. As a football player Crockett is better, as a 6man player it's kind of which do you prefer with TE an edge bc of his SB abilities...in the end I'd take Crockett (bring on the hate...) Also for TE he was best player for 4 years which is rare, but also benefited from being in a program with same coach all 4 years.

A better convo is Crockett vs DeWayne Miles as they are more similar type of a player

Crockett is a great player. No disrespect meant to the rest of the team, but they’d be lucky to make it to the playoffs without him. Now, he’ll likely give them another state title.
TE was also a great player and deserves to be mentioned in any convo of “great players”. IMO it’s difficult to compare the two because TE had a luxury that Crockett and Miles didn’t. TE played on teams (particularly his Jr and Senior years) that would have won state without him being on the teams. For that reason, TE stats are in my opinion a little skewed. Don’t get me wrong, he was a great player. Certainly the best in his tenor as a coyote and in the previous and post 5 years of his playing days. I’d certainly give the edge to Crockett and Miles in terms of who was better though.

Leman Saunders":18sy76pl said:
Best player of this decade. (Mitchell Parsley probably #2)

Morden Times he's in the convo for best

All-Time in the convo for top 10

vs Tyler Ethridge...Crockett is as fast, bigger and stronger and better running back and linebacker. TE more elusive (though Crockett doesn't have to be elusive he stiff arms or runs over you) and better arm. As a football player Crockett is better, as a 6man player it's kind of which do you prefer with TE an edge bc of his SB abilities...in the end I'd take Crockett (bring on the hate...) Also for TE he was best player for 4 years which is rare, but also benefited from being in a program with same coach all 4 years.

A better convo is Crockett vs DeWayne Miles as they are more similar type of a player

Great analysis and thank you for your input. Undoubtedly from an expert.

TE got a lot bigger over the course of his career. I bet he weighted 180-190 as a senior, which is pretty big since he was only 5'9.

Goob":2elobz65 said:
Yew people iz delusional.
Pot calling the kettle once again.

Someone from Richland Springs who has likely never seen Crockett play live name calling simply because someone might not think Tyler Ethridge might not be the best player ever. Anyone with a pair of eyes can see Crockett is a more powerful running back and physically bigger than Ethridge was, which was the point made.

(deleted parting shot as it was said in anger and not relevant to this conversation)

Ethridge was a great athlete, but he wasn’t going to make it in college. In sixman, you can be Uber athletic but never have to be a position player. Crockett is one of the few legit college prospects I’ve seen. Anybody know if he is getting any looks?

BigFan22":2z8nq30t said:
Ethridge was a great athlete, but he wasn’t going to make it in college. In sixman, you can be Uber athletic but never have to be a position player. Crockett is one of the few legit college prospects I’ve seen. Anybody know if he is getting any looks?

Just because he didn't make it doesn't mean he couldn't have made it. The guy was a natural 11-man Strong Safety because he was fast, quick, and an explosive hitter.

Murdoch......
Naw, the Cowboys need to dump the megalomaniac Jerry (All about me) Jones. Zeke’s not the problem, JJ is!
Put Crockett on the team and he gets more popular than the Meglo Man and he would fire him like he did Jimmie Johnson!
Just saying.....,.........

TebowTime15":1fb9dyv8 said:
BigFan22":1fb9dyv8 said:

Just because he didn't make it doesn't mean he couldn't have made it. The guy was a natural 11-man Strong Safety because he was fast, quick, and an explosive hitter.

I played D2 ball. Ethridge might have gotten lucky his senior year and played some, but he was a fast kid and a hard hitter in his pool. In a college pool, there is a guy that’s 6’ 1” and could outrun him and hit harder, and still wasn’t starting. Crockett looks like a legit college talent. I said the same about Taron last year at Milford. He was a great athlete and was not a legitimate college prospect. Ethridge isn’t even someone we have to guess about. Being a college athlete involves way more than just being athletic and he didn’t have it. I sure don’t want to speak like I’m an expert, I was on a roster but I was never a stand out or an all star and really had no place on a D2 field until my final year of eligibility. Even then it was only through repetition, not raw talent.

BigFan22":39swnbye said:
TebowTime15":39swnbye said:
BigFan22":39swnbye said:

I played D2 ball. Ethridge might have gotten lucky his senior year and played some, but he was a fast kid and a hard hitter in his pool. In a college pool, there is a guy that’s 6’ 1” and could outrun him and hit harder, and still wasn’t starting. Crockett looks like a legit college talent. I said the same about Taron last year at Milford. He was a great athlete and was not a legitimate college prospect. Ethridge isn’t even someone we have to guess about. Being a college athlete involves way more than just being athletic and he didn’t have it. I sure don’t want to speak like I’m an expert, I was on a roster but I was never a stand out or an all star and really had no place on a D2 field until my final year of eligibility. Even then it was only through repetition, not raw talent.

What your saying is Ethridge didn't fit the model. I think this line of thinking is very mistaken because people aren't "robotic models," and TE had intangibles that most people do not possess.

Forget what your DII college coaches thought, why does a linebacker need to be tall? While it might help in pass coverage, it makes hard to get lower when tackling someone. Mike Singletary was 5'11.

Why does a defensive end need to be tall? If he's shorter, it helps him against the run and quicker for pass rushing. One of my favorite players is Elvis Dumervil because he was a beast of a 5'11 DE!

Heck, there are plenty of short QB's like Russell Wilson, Doug Flutie, Archie Manning, and Johnny Manziel.

I actually agree with you about Ta'Ron and TE playing QB, there is too much to overcome with the 11-man pocket and they are both short. While Ta'Ron might could be a slot WR, he's behind on the X's and O's and probably not as fast as other WRs.

Tyler basically played the sixman equivalent of SS, was responsible for primary pass defense (especially in Richland's iconic 5-1 tight defense,) and could hit just as hard as any 6A DB. Again, I don't think people realize how big of a guy TE was because of his elite quickness. While he might not have CB speed, a SS doesn't need to be 4.3 fast. The only thing that would hold him back is his height, and I think he could overcome it with intelligence. He would also be really good covering kicks.

For clarity purposes, this question was not put out there to debate if TE was a good or great 6-man player. If anyone thinks he wasn't then they are flat out wrong. The question at hand is if Ben Crockett is actually the best ever, but obviously he's in the top 5. Thank you to those who provided helpful information. One can tell who are the true experts and followers of the game and those who simply worship one team.

There was a young man a few years ago at Trinidad, Damien Jackson who put up huge numbers and a state Championship..went on to play college ball at I'm thinking Sul Ross?

Markf, I had forgotten his name but I was about to say Trinidad’s RB from their state championship. Others that haven’t been mentioned that I can remember on the top of my head. (Apologies if already posted).

Lyle Campbell - Gordon
Brandon Hoskins - Whitharral
Albert Booker - Trent
McClintock QB - BC 97-98
Reyna - Whit
Mark Ford - Calvert
Tanner Mays - Zephyr
Josh (?) Kristineck - Whit
Farquar - Throck
Tanner Woods - Follett
Mason Pierce - Patton Springs
Justin Hampton - Paducah.
Dusty Krump - Groom 99-00
Artie Wright - Samnorwood 98-99
Also the RB from GF’s during their state championship run. Imo one of the most underrated guys to ever play the game. Kid was one of the best RB’s I’ve seen in open space.

And my hometown picks (Miami)
Marshall Flowers 97-98
Jared Roberts (2014?)

Mason Pierce played at ACU, J Hampton was a borderline D1 prospect in 2004-05 but both were eliminated early in the playoffs their respective senior years.

While some on here didn’t win the big one, they were and are some of the best players (forgotten or not).

Back