Westbrook Frito Pie

Sissylue

11-man fan
No where near the quality of Loraine's Frito Pie.

On the other hand much like Will Rogers who never met a man he didn't like, I've never met a frito pie I didn't like.

The pie consisted of small fritos, canned chili, and that cheese that you can buy in 5 gallon cans at Sam's. No onions and no jalapenos but as I was accepting the concession stand offering my sister looked at the server and exclaimed "What !! No jalapenos?" and the young lady serving me graciously added a few peppers normally reserved for the nachos.

The fritos were fresh and salty; the chili yummy with no beans and the cheese .... well Julia Child can roll over in her grave and health food adherents blanche in horror but I love that faux nacho cheese product ... I especially love the way it coats all the little fritos and mixes with the chili for an authentic football frito pie experience. Well done Westbrook Concession Stand !

Yep, it is hard to beat petroleum based cheese product. We used to run the concession stand for our youth rodeo and one of the favorites of the kids was the nachos (I use that term loosely). By accident one night I used some of the vinegar from the Jalapeno cans to clean out the cheese cans and added the mixture to the crockpot of cheese. It really added a lot of flavor to the product.

Woke up this morning knowing I needed to hurry back to the Big D. The reason was because I needed to put pen to paper, (so to speak), and report on the state of the union in regards to Frito Pie.

West brook has a nice C-stand, roomy and well lit. The workers were pleasant and nice even though one could tell they had not anticipated the crowd that had shown up for the Mitchell County Superbowl.

I was able to make my way to the c-stand at halftime. Already hoarse from barking and yelling, I was running on empty. From my position in line I could see a worker carrying an arm full of Wolf’s brand cans to the trash so I knew it was going to ok, they weren’t out, yet.

There must have been a hundred or so people waiting to get some Friday night chow. I got to the head of the line and saw that almost all the shelves were bare, this place was selling as fast as they could grab it off the shelves or out of boxes. My Fritos came out of a big box of Frito bags, they didn’t have time to stock them, the help was grabbing and running.

I can’t add anything to SissyLou’s report; she captured the essence of the pie completely. When I order mine they admitted they had run out of jalapeños and onions, so sad, but the chili and cheese coated the freshest Fritos I have had in a long time.

Serving size was tad bit small but then the price was also. Overall, Westbrook’s Frito
pie now ranks # two on this years quest. I still need to get to Blackwell for one of theirs and I am looking forward to the pie in Sterling City.

Two thumbs up for the effort the jr class at Westbrook put into the running of the C-stand Friday night. And guys, when you visit a c-stand, you know the profit is going to a good cause, tell’em, ‘keep the change’, Fijitapete recommends it.

Sorry you missed out on the jalapenos and onions. Had my Frito pie as soon as I got to the game - needed some supper by 7pm, when all you had came from the school cafeteria at noon, couldn't wait any longer. I can share that Westbrook had some mighty fine jalapenos - spicy!

Back