Weights and Basketball

dport

11-man fan
Like many of you guys, all of our football players also play basketball. How do you guys who are in similar situations keep your guys in the weight room during basketball season? We lifted once to twice a week during football season, and while I certainly do not want to do anything to take away from our basketball program, I do not want my guys off weights until Feb. Any advice/ideas are appreciated.

Either the Bballcoach lifts them or they lift on their own. Sometimes it's ok to go lighter during Bball season or change up the routine entirely to accommodate Bball practice. Then when track rolls around, get after it all again. It's the summer time lifting that is more important IMO.

Greyhound Lifting
We talked and emailed coach Ramsey’s (Valley) son after hearing him talk at coaching school this summer. We told him what we were doing and asked what else we needed to do and what we were wasting our time on. The biggest thing that we weren’t doing was enough “pulls.” or hamstring work. We do tons of pushes but we needed to incorporate stuff to work our backs to help with less injury and more controlled movement. The hamstring part he told us about was that if you don’t get to parallel on you leg movements you aren’t incorporating your hamstrings just your quads. We lift mon during the period and wed mornings. Easier leg lifts on mon because of shorter turn around and more on wed. Also, we don’t do anything over 8 on our sets, he told us that over 10 on stuff, if you aren’t doing a circuit type workout, will break down muscles more than you probably have time to recuperate from. Great for building but hard on a body for inseason type stuff. I have also looked into some Alan Stein bball specific stuff that we do for our aux. We do some of them year round and others just during bball. Here is what are week looks like, and remember we have 30 kids in the weight room so anything is going to take us a little while.
We have 32 kids at 8 stations. We have the power racks so we do not have to rotate. Four kids per group. 1 lifting, 1spotting, 1 on box, 1 doing aux. They have 20 sec to do their set. Our weeks vary between 8-8-6, 5-5-5, 3-3-3, 5-3-1. We give them a little more time on 8-8-6 but stay on them so we aren’t in there forever. We make sure they know they are in there to work and get a full body workout.
On Mondays we do Bench, front squat, jerk press. On wed we do Incline, squat, power clean. Our aux for the 3 lifts vary between bent rows, weighted jump squats, shoulder press, dumbbell rows, straight leg dead lift, 1 legged squat. On boxes is where I throw in some basketball specific stuff. For guards we do the three different box jumps. Pro-hop then hop on box, euro step into hop on box, regular box jump. For post we drop step left then jump on box, drop step right then jump on box, regular box jump. On wed we throw in a little hop then explode on box instead of regular jump (simulate shooting /missing/ getting a rebound/ going back up)

We make sure that on one leg squat, jump squats, and slds we emphasize the hamstring. Nice and low to engage all the muscles. For one leg squat we put our toe of our off foot on the bench and then squat (more of a lunge look). As always, knee behind toes-sit your hips back.

Stiff legged deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, and glute-ham raises are also excellent movements to stimulate the hamstrings.

Your back, glutes, and hammies make up the posterior chain. You don't have balanced strength if you don't have a strong posterior chain.

Back