Week 5 - Nostalgia

In 1969 there was no state meet for 6 man. Technically there was no state meet for any class "B" district and all of 6-man was in class B.

You could only go as high as regional.

:)

I understand that. The back in the day I was referring to was the era before they started taking two teams from each district to the playoffs.

The sixties are beyond back in the day.

Oh haha, yeah thats my era.... 6 to 8 teams in district. Winner went on to playoffs and the dirt road to state.

Now adays you need a freeway with all the teams going to the playoffs.

rainjacktx":3309bw23 said:
Maybe Districts 9, 10, 11 and 12 B made up that region. I made my assumption because the two districts in the finals were consecutively numbered.
It would have to be Districts 8, 9, 10, and 11 B.
8 & 9, and 10 & 11 playing each other in bi-district, with 9 & 10 winning or receiving a bye which I believe Oglesby did.

rainjacktx":10lvniwz said:
I understand that. The back in the day I was referring to was the era before they started taking two teams from each district to the playoffs.

You had to win 5 games. bi-district, regional, quarter-final, semi-final and final.
When they added a team an area game was thrown between bi-district and regional.
The quarter-final game is always the true region final game.
Well, come to think of it, if they had a bye thrown in they may have only played 4, or 5 after the day.
I hear you #51. My grandson plays for Klein Collins which is in District 13-5A.
Dictrict 13-5A had 4 (four) bi-district champions last year. Is that crazy or what?

Re-alignments could and did change things from year to year. In 1966 Novice had a bye in the bi-district round and went straight into the regional round. I think there was was one bye in the state during the 60's. I think the UIL floated that bye around the state every other year. I am thinking four regions in the state.

olderelk":3vxor7hv said:
rainjacktx":3vxor7hv said:

You had to win 5 games. bi-district, regional, quarter-final, semi-final and final.
When they added a team an area game was thrown between bi-district and regional.
The quarter-final game is always the true region final game.
Well, come to think of it, if they had a bye thrown in they may have only played 4, or 5 after the day.
I hear you #51. My grandson plays for Klein Collins which is in District 13-5A.
Dictrict 13-5A had 4 (four) bi-district champions last year. Is that crazy or what?

What do they even call the first round of the playoffs now?

#51":1l6k1zc5 said:
In 1969 there was no state meet for 6 man. Technically there was no state meet for any class "B" district and all of 6-man was in class B.

You could only go as high as regional.

:)

Except in track and basketball

olderelk":3ea2quo8 said:
rainjacktx":3ea2quo8 said:
It's still bi-district and I am mistaken about an area round. That is only in larger classifications.

We have an area track meet - it's the regional qualifier.

I think calling the first round of the playoff's bi-district is wrong. That may be what they call it, but you will either have 1 team from each of two districts left - or two teams from the same district left. That can't possibly be a true bi-district round.

With the way the brackets are set up, there really isn't a bi-district round anymore. When two teams from the same district won't meet until the regional finals (quarter-finals), then there is the possibility that the only chance at a bi-district championship could only occur simultaneously with a regional crown.

So let me modify my original question: What SHOULD the first round of the playoffs be called? Given that the winning team gets a trophy at the end of the game, "First Round Champion" sounds kinda cheesy. And "Bi-District Champion" is not really accurate.

rainjacktx":3mwssgtm said:
olderelk":3mwssgtm said:
rainjacktx":3mwssgtm said:
It's still bi-district and I am mistaken about an area round. That is only in larger classifications.

We have an area track meet - it's the regional qualifier.

I think calling the first round of the playoff's bi-district is wrong. That may be what they call it, but you will either have 1 team from each of two districts left - or two teams from the same district left. That can't possibly be a true bi-district round.

With the way the brackets are set up, there really isn't a bi-district round anymore. When two teams from the same district won't meet until the regional finals (quarter-finals), then there is the possibility that the only chance at a bi-district championship could only occur simultaneously with a regional crown.

So let me modify my original question: What SHOULD the first round of the playoffs be called? Given that the winning team gets a trophy at the end of the game, "First Round Champion" sounds kinda cheesy. And "Bi-District Champion" is not really accurate.
IMO the district championship is more valuable than bi-district now, and you're right they're not really bi-district champions, they're bi-district winners. In 4A & 5A four teams from each district go to the playoffs. District 13-5A, and I'm sure others, had four bi-district champions last year. What a joke. It takes the glamour off the district championship. I think they should be called 1st round winners, 2nd round winners, etc., until q-finals. Then they can be "Region Champs". You unwittingly nailed what we should call the 1st round, the area track meet.

#51":12o9eqnk said:
I actually wish it was set up by county. haha but not enogh teams in some of them.

Brisoce County has two schools. Silverton and Valley.

No offense to the fine folks in Hall County. I'm just going by where the school is located.

olderelk":37m9160x said:
IMO the district championship is more valuable than bi-district now, and you're right they're not really bi-district champions, they're bi-district winners. In 4A & 5A four teams from each district go to the playoffs. District 13-5A, and I'm sure others, had four bi-district champions last year. What a joke. It takes the glamour off the district championship. I think they should be called 1st round winners, 2nd round winners, etc., until q-finals. Then they can be "Region Champs". You unwittingly nailed what we should call the 1st round, the area track meet.

If you look at the trophies, they're all the same size for the first 4 rounds. They need to fix it so that winning a round 1 game would get you like a blue ribbon or something. Round two, a small plaque. Round 3 a small trophy. Then if you win the regional game, you get the standard football trophy.

But yeah - it is a track meet. I remember a Motley County playoff run where they scored over 100 points in two of their playoff games. I think it was the year they won it all, but senility prevents me from remembering one year from another. It could have been last year.

Back