Week 5 - Nostalgia

Ok, I'll bite. Strawn 50 Gordon ZERO. Strawn went on to be undefeated at 10-0 winning region, as far as you could go then. Part of back to back undefeated seasons - in a sense. They were 11-1 in 69, lost to Cherokee by 3 in the region game 47-44. Cherokee had to forefit for (I beleive the whole season) having an inelligble player. I've heard he was 21 but don't know this. Have read the Coach & Super did not know this. Don't know who's got the trophy now.

Nice, I'm still looking. I found a clip on Oglesby vs. Aquilla but haven't had time to clean it up. will post it shortly.

High Plains Drifter":cxomq05u said:
Not 100% sure, but think the Gary Fox mentioned as coach of Oglesby was the same guy who coached Miles to some good seasons in 67, 68 and maybe more.

Yep, one and the same.

So after reading this does anyone know what the regional titles were labled? and what Region 9b and 10b were in?

#51":2vxinja8 said:
So after reading this does anyone know what the regional titles were labled? and what Region 9b and 10b were in?
Well lets see! The reporter did their duty by not calling the regional title by the same name twice.
They used regional diadem, regional crown, regional finals, regional championship, and regional throneroom.
Did I miss any?
What region were they in? I don't know, but it was as far as you could go.
At that time in baseball, Bi-district was as far as you could go

CowboyP":2idmdvp5 said:
#51":2idmdvp5 said:
OBK, can you shed some light on this for us?

I don't know what region 9B and 10B were in, but like now the districts were numbered starting iin the Panhandle. Regions were labeled with Roman numerals, so you would have won the Region I title, etc.

olderelk":3hxze0yk said:
#51":3hxze0yk said:
Well lets see! The reporter did their duty by not calling the regional title by the same name twice.
They used regional diadem, regional crown, regional finals, regional championship, and regional throneroom.
Did I miss any?
What region were they in? I don't know, but it was as far as you could go.
At that time in baseball, Bi-district was as far as you could go

Only two districts playing for the regional title? That sounds like bi-district to me. Maybe they adopted the term 'regional' to give the bi-district title a little more important sounding ring to it.

High Plains Drifter":egjdr02s said:
In my day, think there was 4 districts in a region, but maybe not be correct. Riding those dinosaurs makes you forget stuff.

You had two games to win regional.

Maybe Districts 9, 10, 11 and 12 B made up that region. I made my assumption because the two districts in the finals were consecutively numbered.

So 4 wins back in the day was all you needed to win state?

Back