we need football officials in the Amarillo Chapter!

cowman52":bk1lw9e7 said:
Now the uil has decided that TASO needs to educate the clock operators on the new timing rules. Timers will meet with officials before the game and will have an educational gathering along with being certified. Just some more expense and red tape.
I have not seen it yet but I was told the training for clock operators would be online and free. BUt I have not see anything as of yet but hear it will become available this week. I would think training is only for 40/25 but I may be wrong. UIL guidelines is the clock folks are supposed to meet with the crew an hour before the game every time anyway.
40/25 is gonna make some folks uneasy but it really is not too hard at all. The hard peice will be making sure the young ball person is engaged because they will become more crucial to a good game flow.
25 sec for every play that is comining off of some sort of administrative stoppage. Examples would be kick offs, plays ofter times outs or penalty enforcements, and injuries (except in under a minute 1st and 4th then it depends on who was hurt.)
All other the 40 second clock will start after the previous play ends. You may recall seeing the officials starting to hold their hand over their heads when spotting the ball after a play becomes dead. That is the signal to start 40.

Seems to me like it should be easy to "get" officials. It's sounds like keeping them is hard part.

I began officiating when I was in college because I needed some extra money. I was told that I could make anywhere from $50-200 per week (depending on how many and level of games).

So I went to the meetings, where I found out I needed to buy my own uniform (cost about $150 for shirt, pants, belt,socks, shoes, whistle, flag, and bean bag). Later in the year I had to buy long sleeves and under garments for the cold weather.

It didn't bother me to get yelled at, cussed at, or anything. When the game was over, my job was done, and I left with no hard feelings. ( whether I got scratched or not, I don't know)

I quit doing it because I got married (didn't want to spend my weekends officiating) and I graduated college and got a job so I didn't need the money as bad.

I guess my point is, get college freshman, offer them the opportunity, even pay for their dues and uniforms (charge schools for scrimmages to pay for this) and assign them to JH, JV, and some Varsity games (with other experienced officials)

To keep them, you have to allow them to see what they could earn by staying in it for years, so give them one 3A-5A non-district game to wet their appetite.

All I ever did was 6-man games. Always got the minimum pay because the gate was never big enough. It wasn't worth it to me to do that every Friday, but it was fun for a season. I had a good time meeting people and getting to be around the game.

It's supposed to be out this week. If it's anything like the normal taso deal that means maybe Christmas after next. I really hope it works, all the ones pushing it to the hill get cushy Friday nights with paid clock operators, chain crew part of the officials chapter and ball boys out the wazoo.

This coming week. Was down when all that was occurring. Momma ain't too happy her ride got dented up. Here bunch of Pecan Valley are transferring out when heard I was back. Ha

Coach Brand":186gcu29 said:
I guess my point is, get college freshman, offer them the opportunity, even pay for their dues and uniforms (charge schools for scrimmages to pay for this) and assign them to JH, JV, and some Varsity games (with other experienced officials)

We already charge the schools for scrimmages but that money goes towards to operational expenses of the chapter. We pay for HUDL, Arbiter, phone bills, rent for meeting locations etc. Come in and buy your own uniform and then write it off at the end of the year on taxes is the best advice for that expense as well as keeping track of all the mileage to and from meetings. If someone is in this gig to make money then they need to also take advantage of tax write-offs.

smokeyjoe53":blvv9fc4 said:
CowboyP":blvv9fc4 said:
Can you imagine RJ being a ref?
I imagine a few coaches have had nightmares about it..............
SOmething like this???
panic-ahh.gif

Now that's how to irritate and just PO folks RJ. Start reffing games. You will be the undisputed title holder of the most hated man in 6 man nation.

oldfat&bald":1ijz2kub said:
Now that's how to irritate and just PO folks RJ. Start reffing games. You will be the undisputed title holder of the most hated man in 6 man nation.
...... so there has been some question about that title?........ I must have missed something.......................

oldfat&bald":2ez2zihx said:

I've held that distinction since at least 2004. My shrink said reffing would be good for me. But I think he has his eyes on the extra $100/week I can make.

rainjacktx":k6pki2s6 said:
oldfat&bald":k6pki2s6 said:

I've held that distinction since at least 2004. My shrink said reffing would be good for me. But I think he has his eyes on the extra $100/week I can make.

He'd better hurry if he wants to be the O-hole and his gang to that extra $100/week.

After the state meetings, we had a bit of Information, or lack of come in tonight at our meeting. Due to lacking officials, it is going to fall back on the schools to have to foot the ticket on travel for the ref's if their usual chapter can't cover the game. Last year TASO helped on the money but this year they won't unless something changes. I took it as an incentive to play on Saturday rather than eat a huge travel expense. It was directed toward west Texas and since that is where most 6 man is played, you can kind of see the writing on the wall. We have to work on a 3 week scheduling system so planning very far ahead is not an option, and UIL was wanting an answer yesterday.
Will know more as it comes along, we are lacking schedules on about 1/2 our usual schools so it may be a while.

Back