we need football officials in the Amarillo Chapter!

We had our April pow wow Monday and are not much better off, down about 20 due to old age and other things. Another chapter is down about as much as Amarillo. I would really ask schools to look at the Saturday alternative, I know you don't like it but, it's better than no officials.
Money isn't the problem, time to go to meetings, clinics, away from family. I wouldn't even think the abuse from fans and coaches is a problem, it's just not as easy as it looks. We had a former coach join us last season, a coach known for not being easy to work for. After a lot of ribbing and a season, he sent an email to chapter apologizing for all his rants ands gritching over the years, it's not as easy as it looks.

Why of course not, they are all in this for the children. Just ask one of them, he will tell you how he should be working on Sunday afternoons in Jerry world.

Post on the College/University Campuses. Always trying to make more money. You seldom get long term, but can be useful if sent with the right crew. I officiated 10 years. Had an injury, out a couple of years, listened to the conversations from active officials, and decided not to come back due to the disgruntlement of the way certain people always got the better games. Didnt want to get in to that again. 1 to 2 year officials getting 3-5 A games over 10 year officials because of whom they rubbed shoulders with. I actually officiated several JH/JV games last year because of game changes and the Chapter not being able to provide officials. Lots of fun. I really miss it, but I do not miss the drama and tension caused by the chapter. Try white hatting a game when you have not kept up with the rules for the past 6 years(did a crash course update) and have 2 basketball officials working the sidelines. Had several travels and fouls under the goalpost called. The coaches were great on both sides and it ws a HOOT!

I officiate because I love the game. I love the challenge each game brings and how I personally perform. I love the friends I have met doing this. I love how working the games over the years helped develop my patience. I love doing the best job I can for a community. I consider it a priviledge to call any game on any night. Like anything else in life a second can change anything. I enjoy all my games but when I get a 6 man assignment I get a certain special spark that week.

I am not sure other chapter polices etc. but I know for ours 1-2 year guys were not going be getting in 4-a and above games. We have had strict policies in place based on officials divsion points coupled with the rest in crew and the fact you must be a D3 to have been placed in one of those games.
I do not recall a 1-2 year guys getting in that kinda of a ball game. Lets face it. In a perfect world we woudl not have a rookie in a six man game either but it has happpened since I joined 15 years ago.
In my years just because you have xx years means you are absolutley good enough for some games. You can be a second year official in ability for ten years. That also does not mean in chapters every where the social aspect can and will help guys who do not deserve shots or get shots too early to bigger games. Now I have seen guys who get those gifts early self distruct themselves. I also have seen officials with less experiance out perform guys who have been around for years. The hope is guys progress in their careers, make contacts, work with other good men and can get on solid crews. Be humble, work hard, have patience and the rest will take care of itself.
However Amarillo is not unlike many other parts of Texas or the country for that matter. Jobs and personal lives can take one away from this game. I am fortunate to have a job I can manage that allows me to go anywhere any given Friday. The Texas panhandle is spread out and that does hinder where some guys who get off late on fridays where hey can work. Other factors like abuse on some fields or schools is factor. Some guys just can not get past small stuff and some guys get fed up with the big stuff. In the past 3 years I know 10 guys alone who are gone due to work. Thats two ball games on any given Friday we do not have numbers for. I have been coaching my son for the last several years on most sub varsity nights.
So I personally have not called many jv games etc. When I did get a few in last year I was shocked at how some lower level coaches where behaving. 14 years ago that would have run me off.
Coaches who have moved games to help are greatly appreciated.

Hey double R, I do not know how to reply privately to your requests. I also am for the kids. No, not Amarillo. Left on good terms, no hard feelings. I stay in touch with my chapter. But refuse to get into the chapter again. Like I say, I listen. And I want no part of it. I enjoy the coaches breathless call, "I have a game in 4 hours and no officials, can you help?". Thats plenty for me. I independantly officiated 7 games last year. One night, I did 2 Jh games, 3 chapter officials showed up, both coaches asked me to stay and assist with the JV game. The Chapter officials were glad to have me, 1 vet-2 rookies. I had a blast. But, Quality of officials for the "big games" does not have say as much as who the buddies are. Like I said, 1 to 2 year college students whom have fair mechanics as compared to seasoned officials with solid mechanics. When I figure out how to talk privately to you, I will gladly say where I am from and have a cup of joe with you.

Abuse from coaches is absolutely a factor, much more so than most (especially coaches) would like to admit. Think about who the typical "new guy" is. It's normally a college aged guy trying to stay connected to football and make a little money on the side. Those guys don't want to take 7 hours out of their Friday, get yelled at by a man their dad's age for 2 of those hours, and make $65. And that's just for varsity. Now do that back to back nights for JV and Varsity, and maybe even another night or two during the week for Jr. High games like some chapters have. To be honest, we're lucky some of those guys make it to the end of the season, much less come back for another year. Now think about how information travels around college campuses. When one person has a bad experience, they tell their roommate, their dorm floormates, their classmates, incoming freshmen the next year. One bad experience can lead to turning off a whole lot more than that individual.

I'm not from Amarillo, and I don't know where the other guys in this thread are from, but I would guess that just about every chapter in the state is going through the same thing. My chapter is asking schools to play JV-Varsity double headers on Thursday, asking some schools to play on Saturdays, and sending 4 man crews to six-man games. Granted, most coaches don't mind the last one and some even prefer it. There has even been rumor of the possibility of sending 3 man crews to some games if coaches can't/won't/don't move games to different days. Nobody wants that. So please, if you or someone you know has ANY interest in contributing to this great game, sign up and go to a clinic. It'll cost a little bit to get started, but you'll make up whatever it costs you within about 5 weeks. I guess that's the end of my rambling for now.

rickref72":18kpw9i1 said:
I am not sure other chapter polices etc. but I know for ours 1-2 year guys were not going be getting in 4-a and above games. We have had strict policies in place based on officials divsion points coupled with the rest in crew and the fact you must be a D3 to have been placed in one of those games.

In my years just because you have xx years means you are absolutley good enough for some games. You can be a second year official in ability for ten years. That also does not mean in chapters every where the social aspect can and will help guys who do not deserve shots or get shots too early to bigger games. Now I have seen guys who get those gifts early self distruct themselves. I also have seen officials with less experiance out perform guys who have been around for years. The hope is guys progress in their careers, make contacts, work with other good men and can get on solid crews. Be humble, work hard, have patience and the rest will take care of itself.
However Amarillo is not unlike many other parts of Texas or the country for that matter. Jobs and personal lives can take one away from this game. I am fortunate to have a job I can manage that allows me to go anywhere any given Friday. The Texas panhandle is spread out and that does hinder where some guys who get off late on fridays where hey can work. Other factors like abuse on some fields or schools is factor. Some guys just can not get past small stuff and some guys get fed up with the big stuff. In the past 3 years I know 10 guys alone who are gone due to work. Thats two ball games on any given Friday we do not have numbers for. I have been coaching my son for the last several years on most sub varsity nights.

So I personally have not called many jv games etc. When I did get a few in last year I was shocked at how some lower level coaches where behaving. 14 years ago that would have run me off.

Several points about this post, I don't know if it is due to typos or not but you sort of contradict yourself in your statement, and your chapter polices are backasswards, to say the least.

Wanna see why retention is low? Look at a big chapter, as a new official you have to work umpteen thousand subvarsity assignments and chains and clock before you are given an opportunity to work under the "big" lights. Society as a whole has shifted to a "I want it now" model, it is the age of instant information and instant gratification. So the idea that someone in the millenial generation would put in that much time and effort to maybe get "rewarded" several years down the road is becoming more and more of a stretch.

Now look at a small chapter, since reading between the lines, it appears that you are from Amarillo, and see restrictive policies that are in place to make sure the young guys, experience speaking, are kept in their place and the old guard gets "their" share of the games.

So, your crew has to tally up a certainly level of something and you have to be a 3 or above to work in a "big" time game. So what would the make up of the crews tend to be, predominantly they will be made up to placate to the arbitrary theory that if you are a 4 or 5 that you can not work those games. So, they will keep those games to "themselves". You should put that in the ad too, hey it will be 5-8 years before you are deemed "worthy" by some arbitrary number to work a game above a 3-a level.

Folks, and you did mention this, that is why I was somewhat confused by the wording of your post, there are officials that have been calling their first year for the past 25 years, and there are guys in the 3-5 year range that are now calling college football, from naia to FCS, now, the latter is not that common, but in the d3 and d2 ranks it is common. So to paint with the broad brush and say that guys with that experience "can't handle" big school Friday night games in naive, and that is exactly what the policy above is stating. Is that every 3-5 year guy, no, absolutely not, but you aren't even giving them a chance.

In our "exit" interviews last year, the #1 reason that 1st year officials weren't coming back was the treatment by the coaches in sub-varsity games. I understand that it is their job and it is our avocation, but we are talking about yelling and screaming at officials in jr-high games. I am pretty sure at that level everyone is learning, no 1st year official is going to walk on the field with a mastery of the rules and officiating philosophies of the game of football, it just isn't going to happen. Just like there are very few Jr.High coaches that know the rules entirely or that will call a perfect game and although mom and dad think so, Johnny 7th grader certainly has a lot to learn, even if they were an all-star in the local peewee league. Especially when you are dealing with say an 11-man 7th grade game and only 2 or 3 officials are assigned to the game. Or in a six man jr high game where there are likely 2 guys there. They can't see everything, they don't know everything. You can try to send an "experienced" guy with a rookie or two in that situation, but typically that doesn't always work out well either. See the 25 year rookie mentioned earlier.

It is a fine line to walk for sure, but if the downward trend continues it is going to become a very real problem on Friday nights. From the old guard that are retiring, most chapters are EXTREMELY top heavy in age demographics, to middle of the road guys that have more family commitments as their children reach the age of participation, to the new guys that basically decide that it isn't worth 70$ for 2-3 hours of someone possibly yelling at you the whole time for one mistake.

Fense - I would be carefull calling a chapters policies or procedures bassakwards if you do not have the contect of those policies, when they were in place, demograhpics or chapters situation etc. Those policies were voted on by the entire memebrship when introduced. The reason I mentioned it as such was because if LeeMAc was an Amarillo official I was calling him to task because there was no way we had a 1-2 year guy in a 4a and above game in the last several years. Also if he was ex Amarillo I wanted to talk with him and see how he felt about some things and if changes we have made might put him at ease. In the news story we also had a ex local guy also accuse of as such and it simply is not true. The last couple of years saw this policy get dropped due to loss of experience, coaches attitudes, and making the officiatiating experiance flexible. With that also brings possibility of getting assignors who play buddy and shoulder rub too much. Right now we do not have that. Our guy is good and works hard to ensure proper game coverage and give less experiance but ready crews bones and chances.
I also am aware of what happens in large chapters. 15 years of this making friends in all chapters around the state you tend to know what some do and do not.
I agree there are some exceptions and guys who may not have all the games to get D3 are ready. Very few exceptions but it does happen. There are some D4 you can surround properly and get them through a higher class game. Want to try odd look at the El Paso group. Most all the new guys will be in a 4a and above game their first year. Every chapter is different and has different challenges etc.

Typos do not cause contradiction. This UI on my browser at work does not work so well so I choose not to go back and correct everything.
"Now look at a small chapter, since reading between the lines, it appears that you are from Amarillo, and see restrictive policies that are in place to make sure the young guys, experience speaking, are kept in their place and the old guard gets "their" share of the games." - Actually no. The way it was set up did not allow crews of all D1 to form. It made guys split up and take in d3. Between officials their points by divisions had to be between 7-12 else the crew was not 4a 5a eligible. At the time that policy also did nt allow D4 or D5 on those crews. You could have crews not 4a 5a eligible and often times there was some good ones like this getting 3a and 2a quality match ups. yes we did come across times we wanted some fill ins for games that were D4 and could hanlde it. We often had board votes to allow certain cases to happen when needed. So some guys did get a chance to fill in if they were ready.

I'm having a tough time getting through some of this and getting a real idea of the why. I have seen first and second year officials that have shown some possibility of being pretty good run off. The guys do the class room stuff and get on the field and are constantly second guessed, over ruled, and generally made to feel like the class idiot by the 3 and 4 year officials. You missed this, that receiver was covered, that can't be a bbw, and on and on. These same 4 year officials go back to the chapter and x is pretty bad, y is lazy, z is stupid. And know what after maybe 2 weeks, he new guy doesn't give a flying flip about football.
Or maybe the real good one, one of the chapter members has a kid playing, being tight with the coach, watching game film and new guy is thrown under the truck.
Best of all is training official going on and on about how being on my crew this won't happen, that won't happen and this is how it is. New guy gets a game and figures out real quick that the a team ain't a heck of a lot better than the c team he had been with. Throw in the newbie isn't asked to hit the watering hole after the game, he bumps into chapter officer and 2/3 of them don't bother to say hi, kiss my *** or nothing else.
This ought to be a band of brothers for lack of a better description, not a dysfunctional family.
And have you ever been around a discussion among officials in a less than formal event? The big one is why they can't get on a college crew, you have to know somebody, or did you see xx game? The chapter missed this, we don't do it like that, they were not very good, they all go to Arlington in december to try and convince someone they could have done it better.

Cowman I agree with you . Sometimes that is sadly the case in a lot of places. Overload is the best way to decsribe it. Worse is is an older vet who ASSUMES the new guy should already be in 6 year form.
I went through it! But I always adopted the attitude I would be better than him and work harder than him. It paid off.

In our "exit" interviews last year, the #1 reason that 1st year officials weren't coming back was the treatment by the coaches in sub-varsity games. I understand that it is their job and it is our avocation, but we are talking about yelling and screaming at officials in jr-high games.

I don't put up with a whole lot from JH/JV coaches. Varsity coaches, I get it, your job is on the line and if we screw up it directly impact you. But I've never heard of a coach losing a job because the 8th grade B team underperformed.

One of big problem with subvarsity coaches is they do not know the rules. Should have to take a test on rules. Really should have to officiate for a season. Bet they would have a little different perspective. Ha

Now the uil has decided that TASO needs to educate the clock operators on the new timing rules. Timers will meet with officials before the game and will have an educational gathering along with being certified. Just some more expense and red tape.

Back