Uptempo

After the play is dead, I'm already yelling the formation to get in...players echo.

Even before the playclock whistle, I'm yelling color-number (every play we run is on a wristband), players echo.

Then we snap the ball...hopefully around the time the whistle blows. This is if we are really sure of what the defense is going to be lined up in. We can take a little longer on the play call if we want to see the defense first...we also have freeze calls, where we can go through our cadence without snapping the ball....to really see what the defense is in.

Wristbands. Signalling was a waste of time. I just yell the color-number and the players echo it. Our base plays were on the wristband twice, just in case the opponent started to know what "Red 1" was (for example)...we also had code words for our base plays....that way we could just yell the word, also.

I like that idea a lot. I have used signals, signals with numbers and wristbands, etc. I like calling out color number and have them repeat it.

Good idea with putting base plays on there multiple times.

We have wrist bands that they all wear on their belts. But honestly we used signals from the sidelines. We had up to 18-20 formations but they were pretty easy to call. We really did not script either. It was more of a feel for the game. As an ex defensive coach, we relied on the feel for the game to make defensive calls so it has really helped on the offensive side. We had a game plan of what plays we thought would work and during the week we ran them a lot, during team, etc... Monday's we put on any new plays we might have. Then we would have a time during the practice on tuesday, wednesday and thursday where we went up and down the field running plays as fast as possible rotating in players just like game situation and we would play call according to ball position, etc... We did have to create an indicator for the play signals as one team was able to pick up our signals early in the year. They had an extra coach that he watched us as we signaled plays in and figured out some of the play calls. If you have enough coaches that are there enough to pick up the signal calls you could have two or three coaches making the signals and only one set being the real call but not many folks on our level have that many coaches. I know we don't, thus the indicator. I hope this makes sense, bottom line is repetition is the key for us. Rotating kids in and communicating when they come in the game helps. It also allows us as play callers to understand the personnel. Take care, TR

Makes perfect sense. We used to signal formations in immediately after the play ended so everyone would get lined up. We then signal numbers in like we were baseball coaches. We have a kill call and a dummy kill call if there is something we see from the defense.

I'm coachjdjones from above...for some reason that profile got lost in the interwebs and I never could log back in...anywho....

We ran no-huddle, up tempo this year at my new school....we used signals, and we moved much faster than when I used to use wristbands (this school had already been running up-tempo, and were comfortable with signals).

We've used no-huddle the last 3 years. Set school & league scoring records in 2013, remained in the Top 5 the other years. Very effective if you have the personnel & depth for it.

We have been running our system uptempo since we moved into 6-man. With the system we run, and multiple formations we use, it makes it very tough on the defense to be able to recognize a different formation and to get aligned properly, or make substitutions as fast as we try to snap the next play. Just makes sense to dictate the flow of the game.

Back