Unreal!

I call balogne on PC, half the teams around dont even have 15 on thier teams. they have been canceling thier varsity games and picking up jv games when they can....they told one school, who doesnt have a jv team, that they would play a jv game against them, they even named players that the school couldnt bring to play them....thier reasoning was that PC kids left on team were mostly freshman, and small...if I had a dime for every sixman team that was made up of underclassmen id be rich...its silly.

most of the teams around here arent vicious, they arent going to hurt a bunch of younger boys on a team, you see them back off and take it easy if the other team cant handle it. usually makes for a sad victory, but such is life in sixman football!

Sadly, I'm guessing it will be difficult for a school who cancels games one week and plays them the next to get much of a non-district schedule for the next two years. I know that it would earn a school that pulled this on me a place on my "do not schedule" list.

I think most six-man coaches understand that stuff happens -- injuries, grades, move-outs and transfers (especially in private schools); but if a school in that situation is up-front and honest with you as early as possible, things can be worked out.

It's the "I'm worried you're gonna beat up my little darlins' too much" attitude that frosts my boat. Why do I think if the tables were turned, they'd be upset if games were cancelled a few days out one week and played the next week.

As I said before, be gracious when you blow somebody out, because there may be a day when you're the one getting blown out.

Oh, yeah, one other thing ... last cycle, TAPPS required that member schools must have written contracts for all varsity football games (district and non-district). Seems that they were asked to "intervene" in disputes about changes and cancelled games and kinda got fed up with verbal agreements that were remembered or not remembered. Agreement is signed by the athletic director and the school administrator.

If you got a beef about a scheduled game and want to go to the TAPPS board about it, their first question to you is where is your game contract? If the answer is huh, no, I didn't get one of those, or the like there won't be a second question.

Most of the written agreements involve a financial penalty for cancelling a game after a certain date.

In fact, I remember there was a district a couple years back where a school was considering adding football, but wasn't certain. The school was a significant distance from the other district schools and would probably require a long drive and overnight stay for the opponents, but the school didn't want to commit to football until just before the school year began so that they could gauge the students' interest. When the district instituted a $2000 per game cancellation penalty (with 5 or 6 district games) and a June or July deadline, the school quickly decided that football wasn't going to be added to their sports program.

I checked with my Panther Creek sources and I am hearing that they actually only have 4 eligible players right now. They have just been taking their lumps from all angles with being able to maintain 6.

SixFan19":20vvzcfd said:
I checked with my Panther Creek sources and I am hearing that they actually only have 4 eligible players right now. They have just been taking their lumps from all angles with being able to maintain 6.

Now that's a totally different story than the "I had 22, now I got only 15" story.

Like the girl on the State Farm commercial says, they can't put it on the internet if it isn't true. Bonjour, says the French male model ...

If the true story is "we only have 15" then I have no sympathy -- I have not had 15 all year...will play this Saturday with 9 that can play and feel lucky to have 3 subs! Have finished seasons with 5, and the boys went out and fought hard. What I'd give to start with 22!!!

mmom#3":3k7lo8xs said:
I call balogne on PC, half the teams around dont even have 15 on thier teams. they have been canceling thier varsity games and picking up jv games when they can....they told one school, who doesnt have a jv team, that they would play a jv game against them, they even named players that the school couldnt bring to play them....thier reasoning was that PC kids left on team were mostly freshman, and small...if I had a dime for every sixman team that was made up of underclassmen id be rich...its silly.

It would be very nice if people would check their facts before jumping to conclusions and running teams down. For the record, PC started 2-a-days with 13 players, and that is including a teammate who was scheduled for his 2ND ACL surgery the first week of school and obviously did not actively participate on the team, although he is listed on the roster. (6newbie was NOT speaking for PC as we have not had 22 players go out for football for the past few years, nor did he claim to be doing so.) We had players injured the first two scrimmages, and the ability to play games coincides with medical releases. We had two freshman who played for maybe two weeks during scrimmages, then quit. We have had 4 other players quit, two of them this week. We had 3 fail (one of these joined the team mid-six weeks,) and another 2 injured. That leaves PC with 4 eligible, uninjured players. There may be a six-man team out there canceling games because they only have 15 players, but it's NOT Panther Creek! We WISH we had 15 players, even small freshmen...

Paint creek has cancelled on Throck the last 2 years i believe and they are in our district. Its hard enough for us to get games as it is. I dont know the situations of the forfiets but i know they played everyother team in the district last year except Throck. Hopefully they wont cancel this year

longhornfan1970":203r4ped said:
Paint creek has cancelled on Throck the last 2 years i believe and they are in our district. Its hard enough for us to get games as it is. I dont know the situations of the forfiets but i know they played everyother team in the district last year except Throck. Hopefully they wont cancel this year

Well said longhornfan.

It is a horrible situation no matter how you look at it. Whether it is due to lack of players to field a team or just the "scrared" factor. It is amazing how things have changed over the past several years. It use to be that if there were six players on Friday game day everyone was ready to go give it their all. Now is appears that for whatever reason that teams cancel. Where i see this really hurting is teams cancelling during district as then the team that can play cannot schedule another game due to all other teams playing their district games.

I heard that there is one district that may have only one district game due to one team only wanting to play a JV game and not play the varsity and then the other team said that they will play but everyone does not feel that they will due to what has happened all season long. How do the teams that can and will play prepare for playoffs?

Sad... sad...

sounds like 6newbie's team is getting killed. They are most likely not physical and defeated for the season. Most likely a private school. If you need a game, Good Samaritan is looking. Understand that they are playing kids that graduated, but they are terrible and I would love to watch to weak teams battle it out for the worst team in Texas.

I hope that all 15 of your little boys play hard and stay safe.

Count Coog":135rvm7b said:
sounds like 6newbie's team is getting killed. They are most likely not physical and defeated for the season. Most likely a private school. If you need a game, Good Samaritan is looking. Understand that they are playing kids that graduated, but they are terrible and I would love to watch to weak teams battle it out for the worst team in Texas.

I hope that all 15 of your little boys play hard and stay safe.

Unnecessary cancellations are a bad deal, i agree but i don't know the whole story. Not sure what the point of this post is. I've coached at private schools for 8 years and never canceled a game. Also, I believe Newbie is from Campbell (public) which is irrelevant. And hats off to Coach Haynes at Good Samaritan for giving kids in the Big Thicket a chance to play. We had them a few weeks ago and they are good guys from what I saw and their kids played hard.

when pc cancelled against our varsity, they did call and ask to play our younger players as a jv game, and named off which of our kids they would not play against, thats a fact!, I could care less how many kids your team currenty has....at that time you had enough to field a team, point is pc was canceling games before they even had to.

mmom#3":1c6kfamr said:
when pc cancelled against our varsity, they did call and ask to play our younger players as a jv game, and named off which of our kids they would not play against, thats a fact!, I could care less how many kids your team currenty has....at that time you had enough to field a team, point is pc was canceling games before they even had to.

Considering our six weeks ended the Friday before we were scheduled to play Mullin, we knew by Monday (possibly by the end of Friday) that 3 players were failing. During the Cherokee game, three players were injured (one of those quit Monday morning) so it was apparent at least by Monday that we would have, at most, 5 eligible players. I was told PC was asked to move junior high kids up to play with what was left of our varsity. And yes, it is very obvious that you could care less how many players are on our team. Very classy. I wish healthy, eligible players for every team. It is just as aggravating and disappointing for our boys as it is yours. They want to play as badly as any other player on any other team. I truly do not believe any reasonable person would expect a team to play (start) with 4 (or even the 5 we thought we had Monday morning) nor does Texas Uil allow it. Look it up, I did. As for canceling before we had to, if we tried to cancel before we played Cherokee, then I will agree with you. Otherwise, there's really nothing else to discuss.

Its funny that ive heard from several of the teams yall cancelled on that your coach tried to schedule their JVs after saying they couldnt play the varsity. Sounds like your just trying to save face. Truth of the matter is PC has been kicking tail for a couple decades and now thats its yalls turn you refuse to play.

EastTXNewbie":2oovg63m said:
Its funny that ive heard from several of the teams yall cancelled on that your coach tried to schedule their JVs after saying they couldnt play the varsity. Sounds like your just trying to save face. Truth of the matter is PC has been kicking tail for a couple decades and now thats its yalls turn you refuse to play.

PC has played AS a JV team all year because we had players that transferred this year and do not live in the district. Our boys knew all season that if they did win any games, it would be counted as a loss, at least until one or more moved into the district. I cannot speak for the coach on any conversations he may have had with other teams, nor do I care to do so, but I DO know that our boys are not afraid to lose. They are not refusing to play. The few boys hanging in there are giving it their all. Even the injured ones are doing everything allowed by doctors to rehabilitate and stay in shape. And please remember as you bash teams, these are kids. They have no control over ANY of this.

Back