UIL Legislative Council - June 14

Because all the boys teams today want to do is go down there and shoot quick 3's. A shot clock encourages even more transition game and pressing while discouraging efficient half court offense. This is an attempt by people who love man defense to make zone teams come out and guard them because the latter is not "real" basketball.

Plus, does every school in Texas have to buy at least one shot clock?

Because all the boys teams today want to do is go down there and shoot quick 3's. A shot clock encourages even more transition game and pressing while discouraging efficient half court offense. This is an attempt by people who love man defense to make zone teams come out and guard them because the latter is not "real" basketball.

Plus, does every school in Texas have to buy at least one shot clock?
I agree whole heartedly!

A shot clock encourages even more transition game and pressing while discouraging efficient half court offense.
I am not an expert on anything, especially basketball. But IMHO, any “efficient half court offense“ can run a play and get a shot off in less than 25 seconds.
I agree with Mike, one thing I can’t stand to watch is an extended game of “keep away”.

I am not an expert on anything, especially basketball. But IMHO, any “efficient half court offense“ can run a play and get a shot off in less than 25 seconds.
I agree with Mike, one thing I can’t stand to watch is an extended game of “keep away”.
While virtually every team will start pressing, it will be to run the shot clock down more than to actually steal the ball. I might favor a shot clock if it is like 60 seconds just to keep teams from stalling.

Otherwise, we need to encourage patience in basketball not more transition 3 point shooting [ie. Steph Curry throwing up crap that goes in for him and no one else] doing crazy stuff that would never work against a zone anyways.

I thought I'd posted this yesterday, but here are the results from the legislative council meeting. CliffsNotes: Freshman can still play varsity, coaches can still scratch officials and there will be no shot clock in basketball. The proposal allowing 6th graders to participate at the 1a level will be studied further.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AUSTIN, Texas — The University Interscholastic League Legislative Council met Tuesday to make decisions on proposed rule changes in UIL academics, athletics, music and policy.

The Legislative Council approved an amendment to the reclassification and realignment policy as it relates to the conference placement of UIL member charter schools. The language will allow UIL staff the option to place charter schools as much as one conference above the conference for which their enrollment qualifies.

In athletics, the council passed a proposal to codify off-season and summer strength and conditioning changes implemented as a response to COVID-19 and a proposal to increase travel reimbursements for sports officials by $5.00 beginning in the 2022-2023 school year.

Additionally, the council passed a proposal to remove the requirement that critiques must follow the awards announcement in the One-Act Play competition.

All rule changes approved during this meeting can be found on the UIL website: Click Here.

A video recap is also available:

Public Forum: Click Here
Business Session: Click Here

The Commissioner of Education must approve amendments all rule changes passed by the Legislative Council before they take effect.

Back