Six-man on agenda at UIL Legislative Council Meeting

granger

Six-man expert
Founder
AUSTIN, TX— The University Interscholastic League Legislative Council will convene October 21-22 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Austin to review UIL rules and vote on proposed rule changes.

The UIL Legislative Council meets annually to hear testimony from interested parties and consider changes in UIL policy. Some proposals that will highlight the agenda at this year’s meeting include:

Expanding eligibility of A+ contests to include 6th grade;

Adding a fourth playoff team from each district in Conferences 2A and 3A team sport activities;

Allowing UIL music the option to impose performance time limits for UIL concert performances;

Extending the option for string students to play a keyboard instrument or harp in another orchestra representing the same school;

Creating a Conference 3A for soccer and team tennis;

Adding student congress for grades nine through 12.

Results from the Fall 2012 UIL Superintendent Survey will also be presented at the Council Meeting. Superintendents across the state were asked to weigh in on issues including the following:

Home field advantage for district champions for the first round of playoffs;

Increasing the number of Conference 1A teams advancing to the playoffs from three to four;

Increasing the number of 6-man football teams from each district advancing to playoffs.

Survey results as well as proposals made during the public hearing will be discussed by the Standing Committees and then, if approved, presented to the entire Legislative Council for consideration. The Commissioner of Education must approve amendments passed by the UIL Legislative Council before they may take effect.

The 28-member Legislative Council is composed of school administrators from each of the four regions within the five UIL conferences, and eight at-large members, two from each of the four UIL regions. The chair of the Legislative Council is responsible for the appointment of the eight at-large members.

The Council’s duties include hearing proposals and passing amendments to the UIL Constitution and Contest Rules, amending or adopting contest rules and appointing standing and special committees.

A full agenda for the UIL Legislative Council Meeting can be found on the UIL website at the following link: http://www.uiltexas.org/files/policy/lc ... 212012.pdf

The UIL Legislative Council Meeting is an open meeting and all interested parties are welcome to attend.

Due to some teams dropping out, there a couple of districts that only have 3. If districts are moved back to 6+ teams per district, I'd be ok with it. Otherwise, no.

Increasing the number of 6-man football teams from each district advancing to playoffs.

NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!
NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!
NO!NO!NO!NO!
NO!NO!NO!
NO!NO!
NO!

It would be better to reduce the number making the playoffs.

This is a hard decision for me.

IN 2010, McLean and Kress both were legitimate teams. But paired with Follet and VAlley? No chance.

So send three. One teams gets it.

MY next order of business is the UIL only counts males in their student numbers for D1/D2 alignment in football.

NO...bad idea!

I think every year or 2 there is one rare district that has 3 teams that are top 20 teams...buut that doesn't mean let 3 in from every district.

If you change it bring in 2 wild card teams in a play-in game and the winner could fill a bye spot in the bracket

oneday":21r54ovx said:
If you change it bring in 2 wild card teams in a play-in game and the winner could fill a bye spot in the bracket

How do you decide the play-in teams? Hornkeeper and Granger are going to be POed if you use Pete's ranking to determine it.

There are too many 45ers the first round of the playoffs as it is. I am okay with taking 2 but 3 is too much the way the districts are currently aligned. That would be almost 3/4 of the teams making playoffs for petes sake.

10 districts, 7 or 8 teams per district. Take top 3 in each district, that makes 30, allows room for 2 wildcard spots, wild card could be done by taking the 4th team from each district and coaches vote, top two vote getters get wildcard. (One from districts 1-5, other from districts 6-10). Or go by GRANGERS rankings, top two that didn't get in get wildcard. It would be the same number of teams in the playoffs, but the quality of teams getting in would be higher. And allows for the event for a top heavy district to send a fourth team.

Oh, and one other thing. Once the teams in have been decided, seed them 1-16 on each side of the bracket (per the rankings) and set up the bracket accordingly. (Same as the march madness, 1 plays 16, 2 plays 15, etc...)

Having played in 3/4 team districts and 6/7 team districts, I will tell you I would prefer the larger districts with more playoff teams.

First, it makes your schedule easier to make. You already have five or six games from district play.

Second, it makes most of your schedule meaningful. It sure stinks to play 7 or 8 games to get ready for two or three games that "count" towards playoffs.

Third, it makes the district season meaningful. How many of the three or four team districts are going to be determined with the results of the first district game ... especially if the two teams expected to compete for the district title play that first week of district play.

Sure, some of those first round games are blowouts (but hey, I've been keeping count ... playoffs are only slightly less likely to end by the 45 point rule than regular season games -- something like 40% vs 50%), but there are state title games that end by the 45 point rule, too.

hornkeeper12":2ulbhc14 said:
10 districts, 7 or 8 teams per district. Take top 3 in each district, that makes 30, allows room for 2 wildcard spots, wild card could be done by taking the 4th team from each district and coaches vote, top two vote getters get wildcard. (One from districts 1-5, other from districts 6-10). Or go by GRANGERS rankings, top two that didn't get in get wildcard. It would be the same number of teams in the playoffs, but the quality of teams getting in would be higher. And allows for the event for a top heavy district to send a fourth team.

Oh, and one other thing. Once the teams in have been decided, seed them 1-16 on each side of the bracket (per the rankings) and set up the bracket accordingly. (Same as the march madness, 1 plays 16, 2 plays 15, etc...)
Just thought of another pro to doing it this way. It promotes good sportsmanship. If i'm the coach of the 4th team and everyone is voting, I wanna make sure that I don't cost myself votes by being a jerk to everyone, and I would make dang sure my boys were the same way.

My favorite part of the main agenda is that Toby gets a whopping 3 minutes at the very end... as do the 3A tennis folks.

I hate the current 4 team setup....District needs to weed out the teams not worthy of playoffs. With only 4 teams in districts, far too many bad teams in the playoffs. Alot of 45 point playoff games is bad for 6-man.

I did a whole study a few years back on the number of just second place teams in the 6 man divisions that made it past the first round of the playoffs and posted on the boards in another thread such as this. It was an almost imperceptible percentage.

In the third place world this would be even worse if that begins to describe it. NOT to be disparaging to a school or any team but let's just take an example here. Let's say this year a Cotton Center, Whitharral or a Southland ended up third in their district and was in line to play a Valley - Borden County or an Ira. What purpose would that serve ? That would be an travesty IMHO. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad playing a second place team but why play games between seconds and thirds just to eliminate one team and provide another team the undesirable possibility of having to play a District winner power house.

Being a playoff team with 1 win in the district could be possible. A one win team in the playoffs. What are some people thinking? Let's just make it Little Dribblers. Give everyone a participation trophy, don't keep score and everyone is a winner. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzz !!

This scenario is bad enough in the 11 man world. Can't imagine a 4th place team in the playoffs.

This is another one of those made by some out of touch study group or committee decisions.

Call me nuts, chicken or even selfish but as a coach I certainly wouldn't want my kids to be a 3rd or 4th place team having to prepare to get led to the slaughter by the UIL.

Back