UIL Legislative Council - June 14

Mike

Six-man master
Administrator
Looking at next week's UIL legislative council agenda, here are a few items I found most interesting:

F. 1. e. - A proposal to allow 6th grade participation at the 1A level

G. 1. a. - A proposal to prohibit freshmen athletes from participating in varsity competitions

G. 1. c. - A proposal to limit or eliminate scratching of officials by coaches

The biggest one that concerns me, from a six-man perspective, is (obviously) prohibiting freshman from participating in varsity. This could be devastating to some six-man schools. Some may not have the numbers to compete without freshman. This isn't something that I'd think would pass, but you really never know with these kinds of things. That said, they're also proposing allowing 6th graders to play for six-man schools so, assuming the freshman varsity proposal were to eventually be passed, the hope would be that they'd include a similar exemption for 1A schools there too.

Here's a link to the full athletic agenda: https://www.uiltexas.org/files/policy/Athletics_Agenda_June_2022.pdf

Then for more info about the full legislative council: https://www.uiltexas.org/policy/legislative-council

@Mike So there is a proposal to allow 6th graders to play HS sports at the 1A level, but a counter proposal to not allow HS freshman to play Varsity? 🤔 head scratcher for sure.

I believe the proposal regarding 6th graders is to allow them to fully participate in junior high athletics. As it stands now, assuming I'm not mistaken, 6th grade students can only participate in junior high athletics if the school has less than X number of students in 7th and 8th grade who participate in any given sport. Also, 6th graders cannot participate in any individual athletics (cross country, track, etc) regardless of school numbers.

Again, I could be mistaken on these points. This is just my current understanding of the agenda, and current rules.

@Mike you are correct. That magic number is 12.

I really don’t see the freshman one passing. If it does, they would have to make an amendment to allow freshmen in 1 and 2 A. Little school depend on those numbers to field a team a lot of the time.
The freshman one is weird.

Frosh even have big impacts at the 6A level. Galena Park North Shore's QB was a freshman.

The only one that is worrisome to me is the one to change soccer from a spring sport to a fall sport. Some of you may know of something good about this, but I see it as an attempt by libs to begin the neutering process of our only great Fall past time, FOOTBALL!
Soccer is a fall sport here in IL. Runs concurrent with Football. Overall the numbers playing football here in IL has dropped significantly over the last decade.

The only one that is worrisome to me is the one to change soccer from a spring sport to a fall sport. Some of you may know of something good about this, but I see it as an attempt by libs to begin the neutering process of our only great Fall past time, FOOTBALL!
I don't know of any 1A schools that field a soccer team, in fact, I looked at the UIL site and the lowest soccer classification is 4A

Soccer is a fall sport here in IL. Runs concurrent with Football. Overall the numbers playing football here in IL has dropped significantly over the last decade.
Only one of my 4 sons played football, the other 3 were and still are soccer nuts. JCA always had 60+ kids playing football. The one who did give football a try got tired of riding the bench and did not play after his sophmore year.

Any thoughts on the proposal to add a shot clock in basketball?

I like the idea, personally. A lot of games have been won, and lost, by simply running a "four corners" offense to close out the end of the game. Don't get me wrong, it's a great strategy if you're up by a few points near the end of the game. As a fan, however, I'd prefer to see the games be won, and lost, on something other than who is best at playing keep-away.

Keep soccer as a spring sport in Texas. We need no competition for football.
As a person who went to a 6A school, I would actually like for the soccer to be moved to the fall. NCAA soccer is in the fall and just like the NCAA, soccer will not interfere with football in high school. The main problem that might cause soccer to stay a spring sport would be the scheduling. Many school districts have the football stadiums double as soccer stadiums. If anything, soccer will have a Tuesday/Saturday schedule will football has a Thursday and Friday schedule.

Any thoughts on the proposal to add a shot clock in basketball?
It depends on if it's 25, 30, or 35 seconds. I would be ok with 30 or 35 seconds but not 25. Only where would the shot clock be at because I know installing a shot clock at some 1A basketball courts will be interesting to say the least.

Back