Train horns

The UIL voted on banning them but the last i heard they were sending it to their medical advisory board before making a ruling

What will they take away from the game next from the desires of the opinionated few? Tradition has been lost in athletics gradually for years. But alas some new era opionated individual doesn’t like something so it’s deleted. Old school was great when it was around. Next thing you know we won’t be able to play the national anthem offer a student desired and led prayer or gather at midfield for student led prayer.

From the best that I can determine, from comments from Dallas Morning News, who spoke with UIL Directors, the Medical board will be reviewing the dangers of the horns on hearing in kids and fans this season to determine if the decibel levels are detrimental in short bursts and can cause long term hearing loss. I have spoken with folks who are on both sides of the fence, and just hope the best decision is made for the sake of the kids.

Did somebody say something? :) Try standing in front of one of those while signalling TD or successful field goal. I was working a college game and there was a cannon they used. I was not aware of it. On a field goal we step out to signal and then BOOM, this cannon goes off and I literally thought we were under attack and I hit the deck. I am glad that didn't make its way to youtube, at least that I know of it didn't.

I’ll never forget walking back from a concession stand with what looked like a tasty Frito Pie. I walked past one of these horrible train horns at the exact moment that a team wearing Red and Black scored a TD. I was 3 feet away from the horn as it blew my socks off. I tossed my un-eaten concessions up in the air as I staggered in a disoriented circle. Had I been older or had a heart condition, I’m sure there would have been a medical emergency. So, I guess it goes without saying that I would LOVE for these assaulting noise makers to be banned forever.

videojoe":3e4tiajv said:
I’ll never forget walking back from a concession stand with what looked like a tasty Frito Pie. I walked past one of these horrible train horns at the exact moment that a team wearing Red and Black scored a TD. I was 3 feet away from the horn as it blew my socks off. I tossed my un-eaten concessions up in the air as I staggered in a disoriented circle. Had I been older or had a heart condition, I’m sure there would have been a medical emergency. So, I guess it goes without saying that I would LOVE for these assaulting noise makers to be banned forever.

Did anyone catch that on video? It would be priceless if someone did.......

Well joe,
Two’s at fault there. One for you being in the vicinity and two them for having it in a crowd area! Most are isolated from crowds and blast 1-2 seconds at most. Or the ones I’ve heard.. great example of destroying tradition.

The word "tradition" is being thrown around here to much...these things in most cases are less than 10 years old at their schools. These things are not a tradition unless you are from Strawn or Richland Springs...I would maybe buy them saying their's are a tradition....maybe Garden City as well

And regardless just bc it is a "tradition" doesn't mean it is a good one or one to hold on to...

If it’s tradition for you, please don’t let my testimonial get in the way. I’m sure I’m in the fewer than .01 percent who’s been accidentally physically assualted by a train horn. My alma mater doesn’t feel the need to “toot their horn” so I’ll be more than happy to remain on the opposite side of the field when the noise occurs. Ive had over a decade to recover from the unfortunate accident. Still, there’s no getting back the tasty-lookin’ Frito Pie that I tossed up in the air out of pure terror.

I beg to offer another viewpoint about the comments regarding tradition. Traditions can be historical, based on fact, or oral, based on telling or sharing the belief. One of the best known “traditions” is celebrating the birth of Christ on December 25. Scientists and historians agree that Christ was most likely born in the spring or early summer. December 25 is a date selected by the Roman Catholic Church. The age of a tradition has nothing to do with the validity of such with the believer. It simply is and as such, its validity is real to the holders of that tradition regardless of what others think.
Not everyone believes a steer should be on a football field, or that a cowboy or Indian should ride a horse up and down the field. Some people wonder why you need a 12 th person and why on earth would you actually stand up for an entire football game or have to kiss someone every time your team scores. I think you see my point. Unfortunately in today’s America destroying traditions and history and eliminating things you don’t like has become the new “sport”. If you don’t like it, ignore it, if you can’t ignore it you can always leave.
Don’t eliminate something you don’t understand just because you can instigate a social media frenzy.
Just my opinion.......

Penn State ( among others ) had a tradition of hazing and initiation. Just because an activity is a tradition does not deem it permanent if proven dangerous.............

I would prefer to leave the horns to hockey! They don't score near as much as a good sixman team...or have first downs... or make good plays on defense...or even run onto the field to begin the game and sometimes after the half. If the Dallas Stars had not moved to Texas, would we have hockey horns on a Texas football field?

I don't like the air horns and that is because I am always in the line of fire. If I were on a team who didn't like them, then the best thing to do is to keep them from scoring. :)

JasonTX":2ionyimh said:
I don't like the air horns and that is because I am always in the line of fire. If I were on a team who didn't like them, then the best thing to do is to keep them from scoring. :)

Or they could have the sheriff (if one is there) tell them to stop...which has happened in some places as they are in most places technically a violation of ordinance codes...just saying...been told of a place that has done this

With the UIL deciding to table this issue it would seem it is not worth the time to debate at this point in time. However, IMO sometimes folks forget that the game is about the people playing, not the fans, not the parents but the young athletes on the field. This seems to be making a mountain out of a mole hill. The game is played outside, and for the most part a lot of schools have in their district policy that the air horns are not permitted inside the stadium, with that being the case it seems as it is a non-issue and puts the power back into the hands of the duly elected board and keeps the State out of the scenario. As for Strawn, I have been to a few of those games and that train that comes through town during EVERY game blows its horn more than any school in the state and the tracks are right behind the stands.

Did have a bad experience with a train horn at a playoff game in Hico, was carrying two cups of hot chocolate. Walked behind that horn at the wrong time.

FCSA football":92m1be6p said:
I beg to offer another viewpoint about the comments regarding tradition. Traditions can be historical, based on fact, or oral, based on telling or sharing the belief. One of the best known “traditions” is celebrating the birth of Christ on December 25. Scientists and historians agree that Christ was most likely born in the spring or early summer. December 25 is a date selected by the Roman Catholic Church. The age of a tradition has nothing to do with the validity of such with the believer. It simply is and as such, its validity is real to the holders of that tradition regardless of what others think.
Not everyone believes a steer should be on a football field, or that a cowboy or Indian should ride a horse up and down the field. Some people wonder why you need a 12 th person and why on earth would you actually stand up for an entire football game or have to kiss someone every time your team scores. I think you see my point. Unfortunately in today’s America destroying traditions and history and eliminating things you don’t like has become the new “sport”. If you don’t like it, ignore it, if you can’t ignore it you can always leave.
Don’t eliminate something you don’t understand just because you can instigate a social media frenzy.
Just my opinion.......

Those same scientists and historians think Jesus was just a guy and science explains the creation of the world. Just sayin'

Back