Times R' Changing

Status
Not open for further replies.
TebowTime15":nfxkau8j said:
Stanton has 9 wins in 7 years! JB was on par at Stanton, but we consider it a failure because we hold him to a ridiculously high standard.
Hey Tebow, You can't have it both ways. A great coach gets average talent to win big so what happened to your great coach? Smaller statue in the works at Stanton I guess?

Here's a few questions...

Preface to questions - I have never coached a game of six man ball, I have an average (at best) knowledge of sixman ball compared to most sixman aficionados on this board.

1) If I had Burkhart's team going into the play-offs last year, could I have won state as head coach?

2) Out of their 9 titles, if I had taken over for the play-offs in those 9 years, how many state titles would I have won?

I'm interested in how easy JB's recruiting has made it to win state.

Johnny South":37bnj6ip said:
Texlonghorn, every time you open your mouth you show your ignorance.
Johnny, You are the ultimate RS enabler. you defend everything that happens in your backyard as long as it's for Richland Springs. Similar to Bernie defending Biden. its OK to bend the rules if it favors your team .You even know the dirt down the street at Cherokee. You need to clean up occasionally.

Coach Roach":aty0lhwz said:
1. Is JB a good/great coach. Yes
2. Does he he have his teams ready to play week in and week out? Yes
3. Does he have a shady history? Yes
4. Recruiting has been happening at RS since the Hicks brothers? Yes
5. Would he have 9 rings if RS was D1 this entire time? No
6. I’m just happy we have football still going strong and hope it stays that way. This season is unlike any other so let’s just hope it stays that way.
7. Best of luck to all teams and prayers for schools dealing with or have dealt with covid and the UIL guidelines. Hoping for the best for everyone. It’s football season and I think we can all agree, we need football back in our lives.

I do not disagree with any of this and especially agree with #5. Tex, you should take notes from Coach Roach.

Texlonghorn75":2les7zwq said:
TebowTime15":2les7zwq said:
Stanton has 9 wins in 7 years! JB was on par at Stanton, but we consider it a failure because we hold him to a ridiculously high standard.
Hey Tebow, You can't have it both ways. A great coach gets average talent to win big so what happened to your great coach? Smaller statue in the works at Stanton I guess?

If a school does not have the talent, which it appears Stanton does not, then the coach could be great, like Bill Belichick or Phil Jackson great, and still may not win many games. While I do not mean to take shots at Stanton, I think the issue between JB and Stanton was bigger than football. Besides, even if JB coached poorly, Burkhart can always claim ignorance about 11-man.

I really hope Burkhart goes 11-man again someday and proves all the haters wrong. JB teaches fundamental to his players, which is a lost art in today's world of spread offenses and putting as many guys in a 2-point stance as possible. If you do not believe me, go watch Richland Spring's JH or JV play. There is always some tiny guy that really busts people every single year. Why don't other schools have little guys that break heads on the football field? Two words: Jerry Burkhart.

topher800":15cv3ml7 said:
Here's a few questions...

Preface to questions - I have never coached a game of six man ball, I have an average (at best) knowledge of sixman ball compared to most sixman aficionados on this board.

1) If I had Burkhart's team going into the play-offs last year, could I have won state as head coach?

2) Out of their 9 titles, if I had taken over for the play-offs in those 9 years, how many state titles would I have won?

I'm interested in how easy JB's recruiting has made it to win state.

In my opinion, you probably could have coached the Ethridge Coyotes (07, 03, and 06 in that order) and last year's team to a state championship. How good of a coach are you again? In 06, Mike Reed's Rule Bobcats almost upset Richland in the state game (which is one of the best sixman games ever,) but Burkhart called and recovered two uncharacteristic onside kicks. Either way, you would have, at the very least, lost to Rule in the state game. I also think last year's team must have required some Phil Jacksonesque massaging of egos.

The other five were all in DII, talented but not as talented in my opinion, and did not dominate in the same way. JB had a few other teams that were good enough to win it as well. Although it is undeniable Richland has talented for whatever reasons, I have never seen Richland ever get out coached by another team.

I can't speak for football coaching cause, again, never coached a six man team and my current school has only had football for a few seasons here and there over the past two decades. Despite having a student population of just under 2,000, we are the Darrouzett of Canadian high school football... its rare to have a team and usually the team folds before they play a game or after a few games. No offense to Darrouzett, Go Horns!!!

I am a damn good hockey coach and get the most of out of my players so I definitely can pull a Phil Jackson ego massage when needed. ;)

So Tebow, I could have won with 03, 06, 07 and quite possibly two or three more. Thank you for your input sir, I do appreciate it.

Anyone else wanna throw their two cents into the hat on how many titles I could have won with JB's past teams?

On a final note, I am fully aware of how sad the current state of football is in the Toronto region. It pains me that kids don't get the opportunity to play. I have a feeling that my local HS athletic association is going to do away with all contact sports, including ice hockey, in the next 5-10 years due to liability issues re: concussions. :(

Tebow, I think we can agree that JB is at best a mediocre to average great coach then? Yes you read it right. I think he could or should have squeezed another victory out of his self limited time at Stanton. Don't blame the Stanton players for JB's poor showing. He obviously failed to rally the players there for some reason. Regardless, can you post a rendition or sketch of the statue being planned for JB? Give the locals something to howl about.

No way, I think Jerry Burkhart is a great coach! While I do not agree, a person could probably make an argument that he is a tad overrated and only a good coach for some of the reasons Coach Roach listed in his post. The way his teams always block and tackle so well is more convincing than his state rings.

I wasn't even going to respond to you until you brought up potential ideas for the statue of JB. Although there are several ways to go, here is my choice: https://archive.gosanangelo.com/Service ... pg&resize=

I also think Richland should put it in the west endzone, away from the school on top of that hill, so staute JB can perennially look down on his fields and tell future Coyotes to wrap up and drive their feet.

Steering clear of the some what respectful debate on ethics above.

Before I can decide where Coach Burkhart really falls in the quality of coach department, I need to see him do this same level of success at other schools. Preferably a sixman school.

For me, the greats, such as Coach Vance Jones, have had outstanding teams across multiple schools.

One of the posts mentioned something in the water. We used to visit my grandparents in Richland. They had a well and we loved the taste of the fresh well water. One day, my brothers and I moved the cover off the well. It looked like a rock cave going straight down. My dad once told me some some guys went down in the well and found a lake big enough to launch a boat. Well, anyway, when we moved the cover off, there was a dead armadillo floating in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back