Times R' Changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klaactu

Six-man fan
I remember watching the 6 Man State Championship game last December thinking how cool it was for a high school game to be broadcast on channel TV. Imagine my surprise when I was able to watch live streaming (option of radio or video) of the Richland Springs vs Austin Royal game tonight (9/4/20), compliments of a San Saba radio station. They also streamed the San Saba game. Richland won 55-8.

Hey hey hey, guys. C'mon. Crowell next week but the real test is in two weeks. Those Longhorns from Darrouzett are a force to be reckoned with... a perennial powerhouse... a formidable football team.

The last time the Longhorns had a varsity football team, the freshman on both teams were 5 years old. *sigh* May the best team win and everyone enjoy the game! Grateful and thankful to have football :)

After watching Richland play, it looks like team speed is their biggest asset. JB must limit the team to guys that can run down a Jack rabbit. The Austin Royals were loaded with bigger players and more team members, but when it comes down to six against six, there is no doubt as to who will win.

You are talking like RS should have another trophy after only one game. Please...as for team speed they will have to get by Calvert on their way to Arlington.

6manonly":3akug9xs said:
Hats off to RS for the tough scheduled game lmao...
Is that post an attempt at sarcasm? Richland Springs drops May and Rankin from their schedule for the express purpose of ducking meaningful competition. Both May and Rankin would take Richland Springs to the outhouse in short order and would not look good JB is always looking for that buttercup schedule to pad the numbers. His run is over.

Texlonghorn75":otvct63j said:
6manonly":otvct63j said:
Hats off to RS for the tough scheduled game lmao...
Is that post an attempt at sarcasm? Richland Springs drops May and Rankin from their schedule for the express purpose of ducking meaningful competition. Both May and Rankin would take Richland Springs to the outhouse in short order and would not look good JB is always looking for that buttercup schedule to pad the numbers. His run is over.

It was extreme sarcasm. Rs dropped 4 top 20 teams last year as well. Scheduled then backed out soon as JB took over from behind the scenes.

Coach Burkhart doesn't need me sitting here defending his scheduling decisions, but I remember in my younger days as a basketball fan and Coach Al McGuire at Marquette University (Milwaukee). You might have remembered him (RIP), won the NCAA tournament in his last game as coach in 1977 and went on to a great career as a color commentator on college basketball for many years until he left this mortal coil. (My cousin was a starter on that 1977 team. Coach would play him for about 5 minutes and he'd usually sit the rest of the night. But he was an Irish kid and so was Al.)

Anyway, Al had a theory about scheduling. He always scheduled what he called "cupcakes" for his opening games. Easy wins, usually at home, for the first month or so, to determine what he had to work with in game situations, and then come the end of the calendar year and it would be time to get serious.

As I mentioned, Coach Al had the jewelry to prove his success. Last I checked, Coach Burkhart and his kids had enough jewelry to make a Hollywood starlet jealous. Can't argue with success.

Anyway, in the way the UIL has the game figured out, it's what you do in those last three or four district games that determines what happens come playoff time. Yeah, I guess the fans would like to see those tough match-ups in non-district play, but it doesn't mean diddly-squat on how you get a UIL-all-expenses-paid-trip to Jerry World in December.

Freeagent, You are right you don't need to defend JB and his style. Nice to see some more of that rationalizing that the end justifies the means stuff. Specially when JB and RS have made it a habit of renting or hiring talent to move to town to extend their dynasty. If it's a tainted trophy case you are looking for you found it at Richland Springs. Too bad the Rigdons turned out just to be two year rentals. I wonder how Calvert, Motley County or Strawn would have finished last season if they had hired Coach Ridgon and family. Yes that would have tipped the scale in their favor to win the state championship but those schools respect the game more than that. To most coaches setting an example of how a young man should act and having real values trumps stacking the deck in one's favor. Richland Springs won state last year but make no mistake Every one in the state knows the score. Richland Springs will stoop to almost anything to stack their roster. And while mentioning the UIL, they are just enabling Richland Springs' behavior.

The only problem with this argument, Tex, is Burkhart is like 300 and 7 all-time at Richland. This includes playoff and regular season games. If Richland is such a bad team, how come they rarely lose in the playoffs?

At this point, I think JB is trolling you. Maybe Coleman ISD would let JB borrow or have the old Novice Hornet jerseys just to add an exclamation point to JB's strategy!

Pick a year Richland was relatively weak, maybe like 2009, and see how many teams could clearly beat them. The answer for 2009 is Strawn and very few other teams. In fact, I picked that year because Haustin Burkhart got hurt super early in RS' showdown with the eventual champion Strawn Greyhounds, one of the most underrated teams in sixman football history!

You can hate on JB all you want, but, to steal a line from Tim Tebow, "all he does is win, all he does is win! All he does is win games!"

Anyone else ever wondered if Burkhart might run for office? Honestly, he has my vote!

Ps. I may start writing Homeric odes to Jerry Burkhart that capture all of his accomplishments!

As I've said before, I doubt that there is something in the water supply that is making the boys from Richland Springs better athletes. Because if there was, the coaches at Richland Springs would be running sales routes throughout Texas with 5-gallon jugs of the stuff.

As for move-ins and coaches kids, hey, I got news for you. That happens all the way up to 6A. That was happening way back when Jerry's momma and daddy were changing his diapers when he was a baby.

After awhile, you get a reputation. I'm not talking a bad one. But when you take the field against them, you sure think that when the game starts the scoreboard already reads 14-0. As I've said about some programs that are successful, the problem is that the kids aren't smart enough to think that they can lose.

TebowTime15":36wiv2fk said:
The only problem with this argument, Tex, is Burkhart is like 300 and 7 all-time at Richland. This includes playoff and regular season games. If Richland is such a bad team, how come they rarely lose in the playoffs?

At this point, I think JB is trolling you. Maybe Coleman ISD would let JB borrow or have the old Novice Hornet jerseys just to add an exclamation point to JB's strategy!

Pick a year Richland was relatively weak, maybe like 2009, and see how many teams could clearly beat them. The answer for 2009 is Strawn and very few other teams. In fact, I picked that year because Haustin Burkhart got hurt super early in RS' showdown with the eventual champion Strawn Greyhounds, one of the most underrated teams in sixman football history!

You can hate on JB all you want, but, to steal a line from Tim Tebow, "all he does is win, all he does is win! All he does is win games!"

Anyone else ever wondered if Burkhart might run for office? Honestly, he has my vote!

Ps. I may start writing Homeric odes to Jerry Burkhart that capture all of his accomplishments!
Tebow, Pointing out the obvious cheating that goes on at Richland Springs always brings you out of the woodwork. To wax eloquently about JB and their won loss record is an exercise in stupidity at best and that is all you do. Most of Richland Springs schedule is just walk over teams and their district is very weak and has been for decades. Borden County, Garden City, Follett and Strawn could manipulate their schedules to play only cupcakes and neophytes but they don't. Their coaches, school boards and communities have better, more important goals in mind for their students. To use Freeagent's arugment that everyone else does it too is rationalizing at its finest point. Then how come schools like Paint Creek, Trent and Guthrie haven't won a state championship lately since they are cheating too?? Those schools have had challenges just fielding a team much less stacking their roster with imports. Then you point out that JB is or was the difference. Those players and parents at Stanton have an argument for you there too.

#1: Richland Springs cannot control their geography. While I don't think central Texas sixman is that weak, it is clearly not as good, on average, compared to west Texas sixman.

#2: Richland destroyed Follett in the state game one year! How can you say Richland is scared of Follett? The only team you named with a scintilla of success against JB is Strawn, and I am sure both coaches and teams have mutual respect for one another.

#3: JB does what is best for the Coyotes, period, end of statement. If you want to do things differently, get your own team.There are some good arguments for playing weaker teams in preseason with the best reason, in my opinion, being it decreases the chance of an injury.

#4: Why would anyone have the audacity to question Jerry Burkhart about winning sixmanfootball games!? He is the LOTR!

Going D2 in 2009 really helped Richland because I don't think they could have taken D1 champion some of those years. Regardless, Richland is always a top 10 team in all of sixman. JB is a winner, period, end of statement. Yes, I know Stanton didn't go well. JB isn't perfect.

Tebow, Need to read my post again. I said Follett is one of the teams that would have won state if the Rigdon family had migrated to their fine community instead of Richland Springs. Geography has nothing to do with Richland Springs attracting football players, inducements do. Hey BE was proud to land in Richland Springs. He needed a job and RS needed his son. BE claimed it was due diligence on the part of the superintendent and the school board to make such an astute hire. Then BE was let go when his usefulness expired. That might have corresponded with his son graduating? Amazing how Richland Springs had such good records in 2017 and 2018 yet was murdered by Milford in the 2017 playoffs and lost to an average Oakwood team in 2018. Where was all the dominance there? Truth be known that RS avoids competition prior to district play and their district foes do good just to field teams, if they field a team at all. Some of those supposed wins you mention are forfeits not victories. With a overall student population hovering around 120 kids it is impossible for RS to produce the players they place on their roster. Hence the Valley boys and the Rigdon boys are hired by the school board. Yes it is common knowledge that Brownwood Aledo, Southlake Carroll benefit from many move ins but the competition in those classes is still equitable. That is not the case when the smallest division in Texas football, where only six players takes the field, has a school that recruits to gain advantage. Looking for competitive equity. A level playing field!

You are making two contradictory arguments then: A. Richland hires assistant coaches with sons B. Richland is "overrated" because they won't play anyone in the regular season. While I don't disagree with A, any school, in theory, could have hired a coach with an athletic son. Why blame Richland for having their prioritizes in line when hiring assistants? B is just silly; JB and the boys compete and most of the time dominant every year. Furthermore, questioning Jerry Burkhart about running a sixmanfootball team is like questioning Michael Jordan on how to score in the NBA or Tom Brady in regards to playing QB in the NFL. Although it is on a much smaller scale, JB has an amazing resume! You know that, or you wouldn't be running your mouth on sixmanfootball.com trying to convince people that JB is overrated somehow.

I can't wait until Richland Springs ISD builds a huge statue to JB in honor of his glory and coaching prowess!

TebowTime15":3dgotquf said:
You are making two contradictory arguments then: A. Richland hires assistant coaches with sons B. Richland is "overrated" because they won't play anyone in the regular season. While I don't disagree with A, any school, in theory, could have hired a coach with an athletic son. Why blame Richland for having their prioritizes in line when hiring assistants? B is just silly; JB and the boys compete and most of the time dominant every year. Furthermore, questioning Jerry Burkhart about running a sixmanfootball team is like questioning Michael Jordan on how to score in the NBA or Tom Brady in regards to playing QB in the NFL. Although it is on a much smaller scale, JB has an amazing resume! You know that, or you wouldn't be running your mouth on sixmanfootball.com trying to convince people that JB is overrated somehow.

I can't wait until Richland Springs ISD builds a huge statue to JB in honor of his glory and coaching prowess!
Nothing contradictory about what I posted. You just don't want to accept that JB's success is solely reliant on the talent recruited to Richland Springs. He isn't any better than the coach at Lohn or Rochelle Nothing more, nothing less. And RS has recruited consistently while your amazing Burkhart has been the coach there. A statue to commemorate that fact would only confirm it. And you are a teacher??

Wow! You are so delusional! My concluding thoughts: Burkhart went 6-4 at Lohn before he went to Richland. While I agree with you Richland helps him get the bling bling, the guy can flat out coach, period, end of statement.

TebowTime15":36cec7vl said:
Wow! You are so delusional! My concluding thoughts: Burkhart went 6-4 at Lohn before he went to Richland. While I agree with you Richland helps him get the bling bling, the guy can flat out coach, period, end of statement.
I'm sure that statement that JB can flat out coach keeps the Stanton Buffaloes football team warm at night. That Midas touch some how escaped him there. Richland Springs imported talent has been the difference at RS, not Burkhart's coaching ability. Marathon could finally field a football team with the same imported players RS has brought in! For a few dollars more what people will do. Sad commentary that schools like Calvert and Motley County compete with their own kids while RS competes with a mercenary squad.

Stanton has 9 wins in 7 years! JB was on par at Stanton, but we consider it a failure because we hold him to a ridiculously high standard.

1. Is JB a good/great coach. Yes
2. Does he he have his teams ready to play week in and week out? Yes
3. Does he have a shady history? Yes
4. Recruiting has been happening at RS since the Hicks brothers? Yes
5. Would he have 9 rings if RS was D1 this entire time? No
6. I’m just happy we have football still going strong and hope it stays that way. This season is unlike any other so let’s just hope it stays that way.
7. Best of luck to all teams and prayers for schools dealing with or have dealt with covid and the UIL guidelines. Hoping for the best for everyone. It’s football season and I think we can all agree, we need football back in our lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back