The greatest era in Sixman History was from 1999-2008.

For the record I wouldnt say it is a decline...just different with some good and some bad differences IMO

Also I will like to submit that in my mind 1994 was the best season of my lifetime...the dynasty teams were done, there was a lot of parody in every district and playoffs (excellent 1st round games), great state game with the underdog winning and Amherst was ranked outside the top 10 in preseason I think, Miles state game performance was a glimpse of how great he would be his SR year, it was the first full season of The Huntress Report, no internet so coaches still had to travel to get VHS tapes to scout (or have them mailed) this meant word of mouth and rumors still ruled the day...The Huntress Report started to help understand how 6man was state wide instead of everyone just being familiar with their region. Started to see some national coverage as well with Gordon v Colorado game...great players all over the state....great year top to bottom...I think probably 15-20 teams had a legit shot to win state
You mean parity?

/grammar Nazi

So the two examples I gave for 2000-2008 was not a complete list but an example. 2005 Throck was legit. Saw that live. 2010 Garden City was a great team. Saw that team live as well. However I don't think they were the physically dominating force that the other teams I'm referencing. Outside of Brett Chudej and Aaron Long, They were more of a speed and quickness team over being a physically dominating team. I feel like they had good technique on a lot of things including blocking. Honestly I thought the 2010 Throck team was a more Physical force of a team.

My point on these things is when a team has 6 legitimate threats on both sides of the ball. For example the odd man out on either Throck team was Jordan Gonzales in terms of being a Huge Physical person, but he was a beast of a center and had a crazy amount of receiving yards for a center.

When you have a team that has Michael Everett, Will Riley, Fred Foster, Taylor Hardy, Jordan Gonzales, and I want to say Gage King was the 6th kid on that team. I haven't seen very many teams that had this kind of depth after 2010.

So the two examples I gave for 2000-2008 was not a complete list but an example. 2005 Throck was legit. Saw that live. 2010 Garden City was a great team. Saw that team live as well. However I don't think they were the physically dominating force that the other teams I'm referencing. Outside of Brett Chudej and Aaron Long, They were more of a speed and quickness team over being a physically dominating team. I feel like they had good technique on a lot of things including blocking. Honestly I thought the 2010 Throck team was a more Physical force of a team.

My point on these things is when a team has 6 legitimate threats on both sides of the ball. For example the odd man out on either Throck team was Jordan Gonzales in terms of being a Huge Physical person, but he was a beast of a center and had a crazy amount of receiving yards for a center.

When you have a team that has Michael Everett, Will Riley, Fred Foster, Taylor Hardy, Jordan Gonzales, and I want to say Gage King was the 6th kid on that team. I haven't seen very many teams that had this kind of depth after 2010.
I thought that Throck team was the best I’ve ever seen until I watched GC dismantle them at state

Back when I played we could slap the centers helmet ear holes.
You bring back fond memories. I played 11 man. Just 3 years, through my freshman year. A drivers license and car meant I could work after school and earn more money than just on the weekends. I wanted to be a linebacker, too slow, I finished wind sprints with the linemen, just about all bigger than me. I was quick though, second fastest on the team in the mirror drill. Somewhere in that second year, not too long after I did get in a game and pulled the wrong way, Coach said we want to try you at noseguard. I eventually learned that if we were slanting say left on the line and the right guard on offense was blocking down the other way or pulling that way and I head slapped the center (more of an open handed roundhouse) and could get in the backfield really quick sometimes. Occasionally quick enough to interrupt a handoff and even make a few tackles for a loss behind the line and a couple of times cause a fumble during the QB-RB exchange. This earned me praise from the coaches, congratulations and pats on the back from teammates. Something I'd never had much of, it made football more fun.
But it still didn't earn me a starting spot. The quickest guy on the team in mirror drills, Jeff Harper, was also the strongest. He lifted weights after practice, on the weekends, all summer. He was the starting NG. I was a little small, average strength and a year younger than most of my teammates. I started school in Colorado, which in the early 1960's started kids in school a year younger than Texas did. When we moved back to Texas they wanted to hold me back a year. My mother argued with the school, my grades were good, they relented. I graduated at 17. I digress. Sorry to go off topic but head slapping the center, tackling the QB or RB behind the line was the most fun I had playing organized football.

The greatest dynasty I’ve ever seen on a sixman football field was the Fort Hancock Greyhounds of the late 80s and early 90s. That team was incredibly fast at every position. They called their signals in Spanish, just to throw off the other team’s rhythm, and they scored at will on people. They made great teams look like they were running in reverse, just ask the Trey Ritchie teams of the late 80s at Jayton. That team won 5 state championships from 1986-1992, and won four in a row in the process. They were built for speed, and speed kills in sixman.

The greatest dynasty I’ve ever seen on a sixman football field was the Fort Hancock Greyhounds of the late 80s and early 90s. That team was incredibly fast at every position. They called their signals in Spanish, just to throw off the other team’s rhythm, and they scored at will on people. They made great teams look like they were running in reverse, just ask the Trey Ritchie teams of the late 80s at Jayton. That team won 5 state championships from 1986-1992, and won four in a row in the process. They were built for speed, and speed kills in sixman.
Mustangs?

I could be wrong, but I don't think Trey ever played against Ft. Hancock.

Trey Ritchie teams? Trey was good no doubt. But it was not his Jayton team in 1984. He was a second team all state RB in 84. Who was first team???? Mike Morales was. That’s Trey’s teammate. No disrespect to Trey he was great athlete but it’s disappointing and disrespectful to not include Morales when talking of the 80’s Jayton teams. I guess 1985 you could call Trey’s team since Mike graduated. Again I’m no way disrespecting Trey just spreading some knowledge.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Trey ever played against Ft. Hancock.
This is correct.

Jayton played Fort Hancock 3 time in the 1980s, but all after Trey graduated.

1986 Semifinals (L 22-51)
1987 Bi-District (W 40-29)
1989 State Championship (L 24-48)

I believe that the 1987 loss was Fort Hancock's last until Panther Creek snapped the streak (70 straight?) in the 1992 State Championship.

FWIW, I think the strength training in the elite programs has improved a great deal over the past 30 years. Implementing a successful weight program is the one thing a coach can do to make the team/program better since they don't have any control over the talent that moves in or out (normally.) However, implementing good strength programming is harder to do as you go down in size from 6A to 1A. As someone mentioned above, we are seeing greater parity because improved training will help bridge a talent gap.

FWIW, I think the strength training in the elite programs has improved a great deal over the past 30 years. Implementing a successful weight program is the one thing a coach can do to make the team/program better since they don't have any control over the talent that moves in or out (normally.) However, implementing good strength programming is harder to do as you go down in size from 6A to 1A. As someone mentioned above, we are seeing greater parity because improved training will help bridge a talent gap.
Great to see you post RD, maybe I missed some but I've not seen you do so in a long time. I remember kidding with you about torturing people in a dental chair years back. Hope all is well.
I think your spot on, on weight programs bridging talent gaps. When Coach Lee came to Strawn he brought along Clifton Baker who won the state powerlifting championship that year as a senior. He also ran over a bunch of people on the way to winning Strawn's 1st state championship. The weight program he implemented has resulted in a lot of smaller or midsize young men becoming tough guys on the field, many district championships and four more state trophies. Wind sprints help too, along with blocking, tackling, angles of pursuit and more at practice.

Since then talent has dropped off tremendously.
Hard for me to watch now-a-days.
What needs to change?
NIL for High Schoolers? :cool:
Funny you put your era in it . Hate to tell you but there has been a few rs teams that would have beat you . Not knocking you but reeves team was legit

Great points everyone.

Except Richland Springs from 2001-2008 would have 45ed every state championship team since 2009. 😎

Good luck this weekend, Coyotes!
I hope you can rise to the occasion.
Every single moment will dictate a win or loss. I’ve played a few semifinals games, I would know.

If you haven’t won consistently in this wonderful game of sixman, your opinion to me is about as important as the haters sitting in the stands while winners run into the end zone.

Make America Great Again!

Great points everyone.

Except Richland Springs from 2001-2008 would have 45ed every state championship team since 2009. 😎

Every single moment will dictate a win or loss. I’ve played a few semifinals games, I would know.

If you haven’t won consistently in this wonderful game of sixman, your opinion to me is about as important as the haters sitting in the stands while winners run into the end zone.

Lol no sir I don't agree I can name 3 teams that RS would have never beat come on man

Great points everyone.

Need to preface all that bravado with the statement" in your opinion".

Back