The greatest era in Sixman History was from 1999-2008.

I’m referring to the Gordon’s, Panther Creeks, Woodson’s, Richland Springs, Highland’s, Whitharrel, Trent’s… I could keep going.

Talent started dropping off after my Junior year.

Blum, Rule, Trinidad, May - these teams were phenomenal.

Groom in 99. Just couldn’t stop the goat Lyle Campbell.

I know I’m missing a dozen more in this time frame.

I’m referring to the Gordon’s, Panther Creeks, Woodson’s, Richland Springs, Highland’s, Whitharrel, Trent’s… I could keep going.

Lyle Campbell played for Gordon in 99, for his dad, a former Gordon player himself and Strawn coach, now in the 6-M HOF, like you. Trinidad, 98', Damien Thompson (?), yep, saw him. Almost on your level, though more of a runner than passing, he ran over people. Which brings us to Dewaine Miles of Amherst, who I never saw, maybe Leman can comment further. You said on here 2 years ago Grason Rigdon at Strawn was TE 2. A little talent left in spots? Ware in WB in the top 10-20?

Subjective topic at best. Sixman football schools have grown in numbers over the last 40 years and every year is a new set of players. Everyone has a different idea on what constitutes a great team and the leading players on those teams. The best part of sixman football is seeing those undersized 120-pound players across the state tackling the 180 pound plus players.

You forgot about Calvert! They were phenomenal back when I think it was the Ford Brothers were playing!!!

The inclusion of Trent is a weird one TE....only good for one year and their best player was over age (had a waiver but still). Panther Creeks best teams were 1992 and 1993.

IMO the division split is where the fall off you are trying to say happened happened so thats why I end in 2005.

I think teams from the 1980s had bigger stronger players and would bully teams now (even teams in the late 90s) 1982 Highland and 1985 Jayton IMO are the two greatest 6man teams and they would beat any other champion ever. Christoval and Fort Hancock were so dominant to say their runs and players weren't apart of the Golden Era is silly...which is why I'd lean to the 1980-2005 period.

No matter how you cut it these periods were with fewer teams in 6man, with bigger districts, and a smaller cut off number...I think that is what you would look at TE as a "cause"...but while we have a water down playoff now and more 45 point games and smaller districts...we do have more players playing, more schools competing (being able to compete), and more eyeballs on the great sport...so it is a trade off...a good one IMO

I would say as you get older it just feels that way. Talent hasn't fallen off, there's still a ton of great athletes out there. If anything has fallen off, it's just discipline and practice. A team and athletes maybe just aren't as refined as they used to be.

Did you play vs Stacey Womack ? Heard that dude was goooood

I would have to agree. Parents do not raise their kids like they use to. Kids have more to live for in todays world than being on a six man football team. Playing for your town with all of your heart does not exist anymore like it use to. Coaches are scared to discipline the kids because they will get in trouble. The weight room was a church. Times have changed. 1999-210 are the years we will remember six man football for.

Since then talent has dropped off tremendously.
Hard for me to watch now-a-days.
What needs to change?
NIL for High Schoolers? :cool:
For example this is the west all star team from 2012. It was loaded with a ton of talent. Which includes feats of having the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place 100 meter dash athletes from the state track meet on the same team. As well as the guy with the most rushing yards of all time, and just some downright great athletes, including Gary Farquhar who won MVP that year.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-19 183026.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-19 183026.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 65
I'd wager that it was closer to the late 1960's through about 2012. Now it seems there are maybe 5-10 actual competitive sixman programs left across all levels and divisions and a whole lotta nothing. Prior to that you had a good number of teams in the middle that could surprise anyone any given Friday. It's embarrassing as a true blue sixman fan to witness most games anymore. There are some very valid points shared here but the two division uil split is a big part of the problem. Mediocrity is now tolerated and celebrated in grotesque fashion. Go back to 1 division with 5 or 8 team districts and only send the district winner to the playoffs. Earn the glory and I think you could possibly see an uptick in competition.

I'd wager that it was closer to the late 1960's through about 2012. Now it seems there are maybe 5-10 actual competitive sixman programs left across all levels and divisions and a whole lotta nothing. Prior to that you had a good number of teams in the middle that could surprise anyone any given Friday. It's embarrassing as a true blue sixman fan to witness most games anymore. There are some very valid points shared here but the two division uil split is a big part of the problem. Mediocrity is now tolerated and celebrated in grotesque fashion. Go back to 1 division with 5 or 8 team districts and only send the district winner to the playoffs. Earn the glory and I think you could possibly see an uptick in competition.
Use 120.9 for D1, 75.9 for D2 cutoff points and same playoff floor mat as 11 man where top 3 teams make the playoffs.

I think the recent rule changes for blocking and tackling makes it harder for smaller sized players to compete at the same level that we are used to. That makes it easier for the players with the larger kids to win. That is life as we know it today.

I think the recent rule changes for blocking and tackling makes it harder for smaller sized players to compete at the same level that we are used to. That makes it easier for the players with the larger kids to win. That is life as we know it today.
From the late 60's early 70's (just before and first year for state playoffs) rule changes have softened up the game of football. The reasoning is to keep players from being hurt.
I liked the old days, if you can't handle the hurt don't play the game.
jmo

Back