The greatest era in Sixman History was from 1999-2008.

I'd wager that it was closer to the late 1960's through about 2012. Now it seems there are maybe 5-10 actual competitive sixman programs left across all levels and divisions and a whole lotta nothing. Prior to that you had a good number of teams in the middle that could surprise anyone any given Friday. It's embarrassing as a true blue sixman fan to witness most games anymore. There are some very valid points shared here but the two division uil split is a big part of the problem. Mediocrity is now tolerated and celebrated in grotesque fashion. Go back to 1 division with 5 or 8 team districts and only send the district winner to the playoffs. Earn the glory and I think you could possibly see an uptick in competition.
Going back to one division would prevent so many of the D2 teams on life support from making the playoffs. Face it, if they can't compete in district games why are some of them advancing to the playoffs? A school fielding a team or fielding a program are two different things.

I think the recent rule changes for blocking and tackling makes it harder for smaller sized players to compete at the same level that we are used to. That makes it easier for the players with the larger kids to win. That is life as we know it today.
100%. Taking the cut blocking out of the game was a huge blow to the typical undersized player. It was a great equalizer when it was allowed.

I'll be honest. Watching the game in the 2002-2008 era, it just had a massive change in the types of kids we have. There are still kids that fit the bill of that era, but outside of maybe a McLean in the Crockett era or the Tippie era RS teams, we haven't had a full team that even slightly resembles a 2007 Rule team or 2004-2007 RS. They were simply just build different. A lot of teams have a kid here and there but I don't see any of these teams where they have 6 guys who can Hit, Run, Catch, and Block at every position.

For example this is the west all star team from 2012. It was loaded with a ton of talent. Which includes feats of having the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place 100 meter dash athletes from the state track meet on the same team. As well as the guy with the most rushing yards of all time, and just some downright great athletes, including Gary Farquhar who won MVP that year.
This was the greatest group of players assembled on 1 team that I have ever seen.

I'll be honest. Watching the game in the 2002-2008 era, it just had a massive change in the types of kids we have. There are still kids that fit the bill of that era, but outside of maybe a McLean in the Crockett era or the Tippie era RS teams, we haven't had a full team that even slightly resembles a 2007 Rule team or 2004-2007 RS. They were simply just build different. A lot of teams have a kid here and there but I don't see any of these teams where they have 6 guys who can Hit, Run, Catch, and Block at every position.
It's good to see you omitted the 2008 Strawn Greyhounds who managed to finish second to Gordon in district play only to win State, beating Gordon, Richland Springs and Abbott in the playoffs. They would hang with any of the teams you mentioned.

This was the greatest group of players assembled on 1 team that I have ever seen.
Yeah... It wasn't fun playing against them :ROFLMAO:. I thought we (east) would be ok since in our scrimmage against D2 east we won... but 2012 West had too much talent.

It's good to see you omitted the 2008 Strawn Greyhounds who managed to finish second to Gordon in district play only to win State, beating Gordon, Richland Springs and Abbott in the playoffs. They would hang with any of the teams you mentioned.

No way Jose. If we are strictly referring to the teams he mentioned. No. Just no. Omitted

Maybe part of it is the schematics of the game too, many new school coaches think they can play air raid 6 man football, and don't run the ball like teams used to. It is the way the entire game is moving 11 or 6, unfortunately.

How about the 2005 Throckmorton team

Throckmorton
Garden City
Aquilla
Milford
Calvert
Richland Springs

Talk about some teams with some hellacious talent that year. There was no lack of talent and nothing but grown men playing ball.

We just focused on tackling the ball carrier when we played, especially Gordon and it worked out really well. Sometimes Stinker would tackle the runner and throw them toward their goal line, and we had to give him immediate counseling. Life in the fast lane Bubba.

Curious if there is a similar decline in 2A ball. Should be suffering in the same way, if it really is rule changes and a weaker culture as mentioned here. These things are amplified in the small schools due to the smaller talent pools. Could be happening across all levels just harder to detect.

Curious if there is a similar decline in 2A ball. Should be suffering in the same way, if it really is rule changes and a weaker culture as mentioned here. These things are amplified in the small schools due to the smaller talent pools. Could be happening across all levels just harder to detect.
A lot of the rule changes (to protect $$$.00 investments) starts with the Pros for a year or two then NCAA, then High School.

For the record I wouldnt say it is a decline...just different with some good and some bad differences IMO

Also I will like to submit that in my mind 1994 was the best season of my lifetime...the dynasty teams were done, there was a lot of parody in every district and playoffs (excellent 1st round games), great state game with the underdog winning and Amherst was ranked outside the top 10 in preseason I think, Miles state game performance was a glimpse of how great he would be his SR year, it was the first full season of The Huntress Report, no internet so coaches still had to travel to get VHS tapes to scout (or have them mailed) this meant word of mouth and rumors still ruled the day...The Huntress Report started to help understand how 6man was state wide instead of everyone just being familiar with their region. Started to see some national coverage as well with Gordon v Colorado game...great players all over the state....great year top to bottom...I think probably 15-20 teams had a legit shot to win state

Back