Texas Football

Bullrider3":ftb2um7o said:
What makes Texas six man football different from any other states with 6 man?

What makes the BMW M5 different than any other other sports car? It's simply the best. Same for Texas Six-Man football when compared to Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, or any other state: It's simply on a different level.

Good question. My first response is the fans and the dedication and tradition they bring to the game.
Take for instance our esteemed Guru, the founder of this website. I don't think he ever played sixman, in fact grew up in San Antonio. Not exactly a hotbed of sixman action.
There is a purity to the game that grabs people and never lets go. The excitement around a small town during football season is infectious, it permeates the entire community.
For one of the few times on the board, I am at a loss for adequate words to answer your question.

smokeyjoe53":132itvt6 said:
Good question. My first response is the fans and the dedication and tradition they bring to the game.
Take for instance our esteemed Guru, the founder of this website. I don't think he ever played sixman, in fact grew up in San Antonio. Not exactly a hotbed of sixman action.
There is a purity to the game that grabs people and never lets go. The excitement around a small town during football season is infectious, it permeates the entire community.
For one of the few times on the board, I am at a loss for adequate words to answer your question.

My answer so blew yours away.

Both of y'all gave good answers. They should be combined. Texas Sixman is on a higher level because of the support it gets from the fans. Other states play the game, we live it.

CowboyP":ggow25sx said:
smokeyjoe53":ggow25sx said:
This is gettin too serious, I'm going back to "Newby" and "In General".
I agree. Would anyone care for some insane babble about inbreds or fake sixman teams?

We might layoff the fake team schtick. Ryan Hyatt may start sending out dirty letters to us for stealing his radio bit.

oldfat&bald":1cjc5r62 said:
We might layoff the fake team schtick. Ryan Hyatt may start sending out dirty letters to us for stealing his radio bit.
We can do that. I'll just twist "in General" like we do most other threads.

Texans like to brag.
Small town Texans like to brag about their kids.
In Six-Man Football towns everyone brags about their kids and everyone elses kids on the team.
In Texas, Six-Man Football towns are all Family.

I love the small town atmosphere of the games and Texans are generally nice people to strangers but I actually think a lot of the credit goes to the quality of coaching. The number of lifelong six-man coaches in this state is unreal. Six-man football is a very different type of game that requires a coach who understands that. Most states only have a few schools who play, so there's not a lot of opportunity to get into it and thus gain a lot of experience.

Small town support is not exclusive to 6-man in TX - Idalia, Peetz, Kit Carson, etc all have rabid fan bases. Their rivalries are as hotly contested as any in TX - when Revere still played 6-man, their rivalry with Peetz was one of the strongest I've witnessed anywhere.

I only speak from coaching 6-man in CO & TX. I can tell you that the schemes are more advanced in TX. We exchange film in TX. We are allowed to cut-block in TX. Coaches have to be employed as teachers in their school district in TX. Privates and publics have separate governing bodies in TX. There are at least 10x the times the number of teams playing public 6-man in TX.

I came here to coach because it's the best level of 6-man football. A higher level of competition and a larger pool of teams brings out greater innovation, and a higher level of football.

I came from playing 11 man football and thought 6 man was what you play on the playground. I was wrong, it is a dance choreographed movement of players on the field it can be as fast as arena ball with the collisions that 11 man rarely has, but then again I was right it is the purity of play amongst friends. Someone else mentioned its family from the relationship with the coaches, teachers, students, families, friends, and players. It brightens your day even when it hasn’t rained more than an inch in a year. Heck out here in West Texas its nothing to travel over 100 miles to see a game. The feelings little towns have,,,, well,,, its how kids should be raised cause most everyone cares about your kids may not about the adults but they love the kids..and that translates right on out there to the 6 man game.

Back