T-CAL Question, Prime Prep

cozmo cramer

11-man fan
I was at lunch today (Chicago) with a few people, while eating we got onto the subject of athletics. The name Prime Prep Academy from Dallas was brought up. Something about it being a school that Deion Sanders started. Was said their organization was Texas Christian League.
So I assumed it was T-Cal. I was totally caught offguard, I never knew there was a PRIME PREP ACADEMY coached by Deion Sanders.

Can anyone give some insight

WHOA...WHOA...WHAO

Deion Sanders Demanded a Raise, Threatened to Break Prime Prep CEO's Neck

I was looking for football, basketball, etc... results...... Not Deion Sanders breaking a guys neck.

Heck, I guess Prime Preps CEO should put on football gear, We all know Deion would never tackle a guy in pads.

Wonder Dog":1nno3io8 said:
So............................. Is Prime Prep in T-Cal

From what I understand, Prime Prep played in T-CAL last year; they set up an 11 man division (three teams, two were home school groups). There are several more 11 man groups in TCAL this year, including San Marcos Academy (which is moving from TAPPS, I think they are adding the kids from the San Marcos home school group to their team).

A nice thing with Deion's connections, they were able to get the Cotton Bowl for their 11 man and 6 man title games last year.

freeagent":2mzc5se0 said:
Wonder Dog":2mzc5se0 said:
So............................. Is Prime Prep in T-Cal

From what I understand, Prime Prep played in T-CAL last year; they set up an 11 man division (three teams, two were home school groups). There are several more 11 man groups in TCAL this year, including San Marcos Academy (which is moving from TAPPS, I think they are adding the kids from the San Marcos home school group to their team).

A nice thing with Deion's connections, they were able to get the Cotton Bowl for their 11 man and 6 man title games last year.

I dont think Deion had anything to do with playing in the Cotton Bowl. All it takes is money, Cotton Bowl doesnt care who it comes from.

I can answer this for ya. As the former commissioner of TCAL I was involved in all of that.
Yes Deion is involved heavily in Prime Prep and they play in TCAL. Last year TCAL put an emphasis on growing the 11 man field in TCAL. With the direction the State has taken in regards to Charter Schools, it provided a for a ripe harvest. Last year there were three teams playing 11 man football in TCAL and this year many more (cant give you an exact number since I am no longer involved). The Cotton Bowl is owned by the City of Dallas. All government owned property has to be willing to work with non-profits and because of how this one was funded, it has to be even more generous. It was still expensive but the deal was worked out so that if it were marketed right, the deal would have been cost neutral. Deion had nothing to do with getting the Cotton Bowl. Believe it or not, he is actually very low key, regardless of what is portrayed in the media. Even though he was not involved in the negotiations, Deion and Prime Prep are a good draw as evidenced by your statement that people in Chicago are talking about him and his program. This is where having Deion and Prime Prep at the State Championship could have been a huge plus for TCAL. This was their first year there and I believe that as time goes on, they will get a better understanding of how to promote at that level.

Just as a side note to your question, Dieon was fired by the school 2 days after the state championship game in Dec.. He was not actually the head coach of the team, he had another man coaching the team.. They played Tomball Homeschool in the finals who had won the TCAL Sixman state title the year before and were forced to play 11 man because of their numbers. Prime Prep was not able to have any of their players in any post season games or awards because of some rules violations. Currently this year there are 6 teams in the TCAL 11 man division. Prime Prep, Tomball Homeschool, San Marcos Academy, and 3 KIPP schools from the Houston area, all of which are charter schools as is Prime. The charter schools are a great opportunity for some kids to get a good education, but the question of recruiting comes into play as they can get kids from any area, as did Prime. Prime had 3 guys go to D1 schools for basketball last year and all 3 were deemed ineligible by the NCAA because of ineligible classes. Playing at the Cotton Bowl was a very cool deal, but I feel TCAL may be getting some publicity they don't want with the growth of the 11 man division and the teams that are coming into the program. "Excellence through Christ" does not seem to be the agenda, having a big name in the program does. Just my thoughts, take or leave it.

Back