Strawn, Gordon, Abbott, Throck - Alumni/Coach Observation

Longhorn85

Six-man fan
When discussing perennial powerhouses in six-man football, and as we roll into the state Semifinals, these 4 programs are always in the discussion, and I thought it interesting to point out for those who did not know, how many of the former players who had success at the high school level are now coaching on these teams, representing half of the remaining teams in DI and DII.

Shane Mallory - Gordon Head Coach, Strawn Grad
Jason Sizemore, Gordon Assistant Coach, Gordon Grad
Mike Reed, Throckmorton Head Coach, Gordon Grad
Dale Pustejovsky, Strawn Assistant Coach, Abbott Grad

Each of these guys was an all-star at the high school level, and now are succeeding at the coaching level.
Good luck to you all this Saturday!

Isn't Aquilla's coach also a Strawn grad. Plus Sterling City's Clyde Parham, a Gordon Grad. Both of those schools also have very successful programs.

Aquilla's head coach is Kirk Hinkson.. a Strawn Grad. And actually, Hinkson and Mallory played at Strawn under Gordon grad Clyde Parham during his head coaching days there I believe.

Certainly should also point out John Cherry, Gordon grad coaching at Stephenville Faith, now wearing 2 State rings from the last 2 years.

Is he kin to the Cherry playing on Gordon now? From the looks of it ya'll have left your mark on this grand sport. Something to be proud of and says alot about the two communities to put out so many highly regarded men.
I will say that our coaches have nothing but the highest of praises for Coach Reed. He was one of the first to contact our coaches when Savoy decided to go sixman. And also our coaches said that sixman coaches are the absolute best at helping out with tried and true methods of practice and drills.

Dogface":ivbwhwn8 said:
Wow,
that Strawn school must really be something!

Nelson Campbell came from Strawn too!
Actually,

ummmmm, NO
Coach Campbell graduated from Gordon.
He did COACH at Strawn briefly before coming over to Gordon where he became the best coach in the history of the game.

Coach Campbell took Strawn to their 1st state semi game in 1979. Only game they lost that year, to Milford 66-49. My brotherinlaw played for him in 77 & 78. Always proud of 45'n Gordon his SR year (58-12). They won their 1st game that year over Richland Springs 66-6. They were 8-2 in 78 & 8-3 in 77 which I think was his 1st year there. I.E. 27-6 over 3 years, not bad. I've heard Gordon offered him a raise that Strawn didn't match. Seems I've also heard or read he was the QB on their 1st ever playoff team in the late 60's that won Region - as far as you could go then.
I've also read that Tyler Ethridge's grandad (current Follett HC Harley E's dad) was a coach there for a couple of years in the early 70's (?).
And, I'm wanting to say one of the Popham's from the late 90's or early 2000's was an assistant coach at one of the newer 6man schools in North Central Texas a year or two ago, don't know if he's still there or not (Forrestburg?).
Then there was a 60's QB from Strawn who went on to 11 man College Coaching..........

hornkeeper12":12520gv6 said:
Dogface":12520gv6 said:
Wow,
that Strawn school must really be something!

Nelson Campbell came from Strawn too!
Actually,

ummmmm, NO
Coach Campbell graduated from Gordon.
He did COACH at Strawn briefly before coming over to Gordon where he became the best coach in the history of the game.
Pish posh.
That's basically what I said.

Is Clint Lowry still coaching? Gordon '76. I know he spent 20+ years coaching. Son of Gordon's first Six-Man Hall of Famer, Boyd Lowry (my coach). Coach Ethridge was at Gordon in '78 - '79 or so, that was while I was away for a couple of years right after high school.

Clinton is coaching at Blackwell.

Coach Campbell at Strawn:

1977-(9-1) Lost to- state champ May in the last game of the season.

1978-(9-1) District co-champs. Lost to Woodson who advanced. Lost a non-dist. game to Jonesboro but later they forfeited for using inelgible player.

1979-(11-1) Semi-Finalists. Lost to Milford who won state.

1980-(5-5) 3 close losses.

These four years happen to be the years I played for Coach Campbell at Strawn.

Hey boys! I got to tell you, there has been some mighty good coaches come out of all them schools. Might disagree with the porcupined cowboy about best coach in Aquilla history, on the count that there are several names that come to mind that have done coached down by the river.

I will agree with you Uncle Si the only reason Hinkson has been somewhat successful at Aquilla is because of his assistant Brian Cooper. You take him away and Aquilla would be 2-8 every year and you can believe that Jack.

I feel the love at Aquilla. I know where there is a Tallman looking for a scholl to love maybe he could move a little further east and join you guys.

Mexican Englishman":gkwmy1i0 said:
I will agree with you Uncle Si the only reason Hinkson has been somewhat successful at Aquilla is because of his assistant Brian Cooper. You take him away and Aquilla would be 2-8 every year and you can believe that Jack.
I'll agree that Cooper is an outstanding defensive coach. However, he doesn't coach the offense. Hinkson has done an amazing job with that. Aquilla has done well because of the entire coaching staff.

Back