Strawn Goes Back to Back

Leman Saunders

Six-man expert
Going back to back is a big deal and Strawn gets their 4th state title! This is kind of lost in all talk about the DI game, but Strawn was dominant against a noticeably bigger Follett team. A big shoutout to their defensive front that allowed only 1 first down to that big Follett power run team! That was impressive!

Also would like to mention Follett has went to state three times in the last 7 years, they had a great season and have a great program up there!

Waiting between games yesterday looking through the program I noticed a page in the back with various sixman state game records/top 5's. Under least points allowed it only showed one shutout. Richland Springs 46-0 over Sterling City in 2010. My first though was that can't be right, how far back are they going. According to the listing of state game scores on the sixman coaches website it is right, all the way back to the first one in 1972. So I guess Strawn set a record yesterday in terms of the highest score in a shutout in a state championship game by winning 48-0. And it could have been a lot worse but for playing backups and jv players on offense.

The next lowest and only single digit score in that history was Borden County over Woodson 54-8 in 2008.

That is correct, it is only the 2nd shutout, and I think the 2nd to end at halftime, but I will have to go back and check that, that 2010 RS v SC game went into the 2nd half I think, the 1982 State game ended at halftime

The records in the back of the program are good, but dont have every single state game in it...I know bc Brian Holmes had 36 carries in the 1977 state game and they dont have that listed back there...also would like to check their source for the 2009 GC v Strawn game stats as I have slightly different ones

51eleven":2u6x6jby said:
Waiting between games yesterday looking through the program I noticed a page in the back with various sixman state game records/top 5's. Under least points allowed it only showed one shutout. Richland Springs 46-0 over Sterling City in 2010. My first though was that can't be right, how far back are they going. According to the listing of state game scores on the sixman coaches website it is right, all the way back to the first one in 1972. So I guess Strawn set a record yesterday in terms of the highest score in a shutout in a state championship game by winning 48-0. And it could have been a lot worse but for playing backups and jv players on offense.

The next lowest and only single digit score in that history was Borden County over Woodson 54-8 in 2008.

Coach Lee showed a lot of class yesterday in that game. He could have very easily ran that up and made it way worse. Strawn was dominant and especially on defense, it's rare for a performance like that in a six man game. Congrats again to the Greyhounds on a great season.

Personally I think stats like the ones mentioned above can be largely ignored. The reason is because we don’t know what a particular team COULD have done. Such as Strawn yesterday, if the coach had allowed it, the score could have easily been 80 or so to zero at half.

Strawn was/is clearly the best DII team in the state and for Lee’s willingness to let subs play on offense the entire second quarter he’s a classy coach as well.

Also, and maybe a Strawn person (player/coach) can answer. If Strawns backup would not have scored ending the game at half, would the subs continue to play on offense the 3rd quarter, or was it his plan to end the game early in the third anyway with the A string?

I was wondering before the start of Strawn's last drive if Coach Lee would put the starters on offense back in to finish the game off after letting the jv/non starters get in a couple of possessions of playing time in the state game. But he stuck to his guns and his faith in them paid off. It was cool to see a senior who didn't start or see a whole lot of playing time most of the year score the TD that sealed the deal. Getting to end his high school career that way, under the lights, on the big stage.

Back