sterling city vs. borden county

Care to provide some examples of the officiating being poor? I watched the stream but I can’t recall many controversial calls.. it was a heck of a game and I feel bad that a team had to lose it.. but BC got out scored 32-8 in the second half and the only time I remember their offense showing any signs of life in the 2nd half was on that “immaculate reception”esque play where they converted a 4th and forever from their goal line.. hats off to both teams.. couldn’t have asked for a better game! It’s nice to see a defensive showdown every once in a while.. I knew it was gonna be a dogfight and that game still exceeded expectations! Expecting more of the same next week at Jerry’s world!

Sterling had a horrible targeting call for lead blocking and then a BC defender made a great play to bat a ball down that was called interference. That's just a couple of examples. Yes, SC handled business in the second half. But when it came down to it at the end, they got the calls that set them up to tie the ballgame

That is true goones, I didn’t have as great a view as the live audience.. which targeting call are we talking about? I may be a little biased but I thought it was officiated well for the most part.. SC played so well defensively in the second half.. that 4th and forever from BC’s goal line was immaculate receptionesque and that was about all BC got offensively in the second half.. it was a hard fought game and I hope BC doesn’t feel like they got cheated.. I do think targeting needs to be revisited in the off-season.. it can have such a big impact in big games and it needs to be right every time

It was just a lead blocker for SC and they called it targeting. Same goes for cutting rules. Every single crew has called that differently all season long. It needs to be consistent. SC played great defense in the second half. Hats off to them on a great comeback. But let the kids play when the game is on the line, not crack down and call every tiny thing. We ran into the same thing week in and week out. Several officials this season weren't even aware of sixman rules. UIL really needs to fix this issue.

Targeting is going to destroy football, more 11 than 6, when WR/DB type guys do not want to play defense because they can get ejected for playing football similar to the way linemen type guys strongly prefer defense to offense. For instance, there is NO WAY Deion Sanders plays CB in the modern NFL. With all the good players playing offense, the game will get stale and less interesting. Factor in the safety risks and the anti-American stances, and I highly doubt football is a big sport in 40 years. Then again, 6 man might be a viable alternative...

I agree.. need to be consistent across the board.. also agree that tick tacky penalties shouldn’t be called late in the game when the game is on the line unless it’s blatant.. targeting seems to be the biggest inconsistency across football right now.. I think there needs to be more leeway in ejecting players.. unless it’s blatantly malicious I don’t think a player should be ejected

Agreed. I want to make it clear that I'm not taking anything away from SC. They deserve to be #1. I was impressed with how BC played them. With how SC came back they deserved and earned that win.

But you hit the nail on the head. When the game is on the line, refs shouldn't nit pick, especially when the call makes a HUGE impact.

I was at the Borden County and Sterling City game, I thought Borden actually got the better end of the calls. I had that conversation this morning with a couple others that were there.

Back