Spreads Week 9

True. There isn't an exact science. The other coin of the argument would be if the game continued into the 3rd quarter, FWCC would have hung 100. I'm not against making changes, but only if it improves the game, not to just make changes for one's agenda.

On a side note, I'd expect FWCC to be D1 after re-alignment. They have outgrown D3...and D2 by the numbers well over a year ago, hence we could crack open another discussion about yearly re-alignment vs. every two years.
FWCC is a private school and not affected by UIL realignment.

These top end private schools are tough and are only going to get tougher. With the migration of the upper crust kids in the cities out of the public debacles and into the private schools, the ones with the decent coaches can wipe the floor with the publics. With their enrollment rules (mostly non-existent), they have an advantage. And also these home-school teams. Those kids can come from half-a-state away and join a team. Maybe just for a few games and then they may be gone or can join a different team. You need to be careful with who you schedule nowadays, unless you are just a powerhouse and have the horses to match up with anybody.

These top end private schools are tough and are only going to get tougher. With the migration of the upper crust kids in the cities out of the public debacles and into the private schools, the ones with the decent coaches can wipe the floor with the publics. With their enrollment rules (mostly non-existent), they have an advantage. And also these home-school teams. Those kids can come from half-a-state away and join a team. Maybe just for a few games and then they may be gone or can join a different team. You need to be careful with who you schedule nowadays, unless you are just a powerhouse and have the horses to match up with anybody.
I used to think the same way. The misnomer about private school's is that they "recruit" and public school's compete with what they got. If you believe that, well...you know how the George Straight song goes. If anything, most private school's require an academic entrance and expectation. Not all of them, but many of them do. Public schools are some of the worst I've ever seen at straight up recruiting kids. Call it like it is....when you specifically hire a parent because their kids are studs, that is recruiting. Southlake Carroll has built a powerhouse doing it. Aledo as well, and many of you know 6 man school's that have taken on this approach. I'm not mad at them or even judging them. All I am saying is private schools are getting their glass houses shattered by stones thrown from the very one's who do the same thing, minus the academic requirement.

Now, the home school discussion is an entirely different animal!

I used to think the same way. The misnomer about private school's is that they "recruit" and public school's compete with what they got. If you believe that, well...you know how the George Straight song goes. If anything, most private school's require an academic entrance and expectation. Not all of them, but many of them do. Public schools are some of the worst I've ever seen at straight up recruiting kids. Call it like it is....when you specifically hire a parent because their kids are studs, that is recruiting. Southlake Carroll has built a powerhouse doing it. Aledo as well, and many of you know 6 man school's that have taken on this approach. I'm not mad at them or even judging them. All I am saying is private schools are getting their glass houses shattered by stones thrown from the very one's who do the same thing, minus the academic requirement.

Slaughterhouse, I never said anything about recruiting. The upper level privates don’t have to recruit players. With their enrollment numbers and the quality of kids that they have, they are already sitting pretty.

190 + kids in the HS?
Don't know where you are getting your numbers, but my understanding is there are about 100 kids in the HS at FWCC. It's also my understanding that TAPPS aligns football-based just on the number of boys in a school and not total enrollment. That's why they are DIII in football and DII in the rest of the sports.
So, if they had an exact split, that means there are only 50 boys and not all would play football.

My taxes in the Aledo school district only paid for Ten state championships. Yes they are on the take, tax dollars that is. I lived there thirty five years so I'm due some money back some how for those other 25 years of mediocrity. Many aspiring and talented athletes got tired of trying to compete in the Aledo system for playing time and moved to Brock. That is when Brock created their football program and has had great success too. Brock is one of those schools that I was told by local Brockites they would Never play football and look what happened. Now Lipan, Graford, and Huckaby need to follow suit. Peaster is doing quite well with their football program too.

Well, my kids went to public school. I became a six-man and Covenant fan through supporting friends' kids that were part of the original program starting in 2013. Went through two re-starts with them when they had to take 2015 & 2017 off because of a lack of numbers.
They have had only one player I can think of that wasn't there from JH on.
Their academic requirements, especially Latin and Greek, make it very difficult for a HS student to transfer into Covenant. Every boy on the team, 90% or more, has been there since kindergarten.
Don't know about other schools' Covenant is homegrown in the system.

Don't know where you are getting your numbers, but my understanding is there are about 100 kids in the HS at FWCC. It's also my understanding that TAPPS aligns football-based just on the number of boys in a school and not total enrollment. That's why they are DIII in football and DII in the rest of the sports.
So, if they had an exact split, that means there are only 50 boys and not all would play football.
Straight from the horses mouth. I guess we will soon see what numbers are legit. Don’t matter to me either way. I’d think they would want to grow instead of sandbagging in a smaller division, but I guess to each their own.

My taxes in the Aledo school district only paid for Ten state championships. Yes they are on the take, tax dollars that is. I lived there thirty five years so I'm due some money back some how for those other 25 years of mediocrity. Many aspiring and talented athletes got tired of trying to compete in the Aledo system for playing time and moved to Brock. That is when Brock created their football program and has had great success too. Brock is one of those schools that I was told by local Brockites they would Never play football and look what happened. Now Lipan, Graford, and Huckaby need to follow suit. Peaster is doing quite well with their football program too.
This was an excellent post. Made me laugh!

I remember Brock as a wenie biscuit ball only powerhouse that couldn't, or wouldn't play Football, at any level. My how priorities change with population growth.

Back