Sportsmanship

Lionsbacker

11-man fan
A new topic for discussion... are TAPPS players and coaches better sportsman than the UIL teams. My experience so far says yes except for Jonesboro. Some of the UIL teams we played have been absolutely dirty in the way they play talk..ect. What do yall think?

Tapps vs UIL vs Home School doesn't matter. Respect all opponents. That said, your objective is to dominate them, 45 them by half time. Politely, fairly but completely.

Okay. I agree with 51eleven. But for a couple of you that are not responding, because I guess it's below you. Y'all are the first ones to respond on other very controversial threads all over this message board. So before you try to sound holier than thou about a question on this thread, just keep your opinions to yourself. But that probably won't happen, from posts you posted on other controversial threads. Abraham Lincoln and Mark Twain said it best, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

It's insane to try and compare UIL to private on class or character/respect. I have played both, and continue to add private schools to my schedule. I can say, without a doubt, the type of school you're coming from has had very little to do with the product on the field. Character and class is a learned behavior, which typically begins at home, and builds at the school. I have seen private schools, and public schools, have bad days, and look terrible in spectators eyes. I've personally had opponents talk about a player of mine, and say he has a terrible attitude, or has no class. And yet every other opposing school and coach has raved about the kids character. It's all upon perception, and is very subjective. Kids are allowed to have bad days, doesn't mean they're bad people. But make no mistake, those bad days are equal among teenage boys; I don't care what school they're at. Also, I've seen parents get irate in the stands, because the kids celebrate after a touchdown, or a huge defensive stand. As long as they're not taunting, get off the high horse, and let the kids enjoy the game. It doesn't last forever!

I am really sorry i created this thread, As a parent for 4 years of a player, I have noticed that some (not all) UIL schools., can be bad sports. Wondering if this was the norm. For the most part the TAPPS schools we play are good sportsman. As a person of faith I like the after game prayers and players helping each other up, ect.

I just should have kept my thoughts to myself.

There is good and evil in the world. All human behavior is a result of this truth. In my almost 7 decades on this earth, 50 years of which have been involved in youth sports I have witnessed kids and parents of all segements and sectors of society behave in the best and the worst manner. “Bad” and “Good” behavior crosses all lines of society, UIL, Faith based, home school whatever. So that’s why my original statement to you stated that you will find what you look for. If you don’t like what you see, move on. None of the groups mentioned have a lock on good or bad behavior. That is one of the reasons we are Independent. If we don’t want to play a team, for whatever reason, we don’t, we chose who we play. My experience tells me, that for the most part, people are good. The behavior of a team is often the reflection of the coach. A Faith based program doesn’t necessarily create “good Sportsmanship” any more than standing in a garage makes you a car, or attending a church makes you a Christian.

Back