sixman schools playing baseball

oneday":3e371erf said:
But you have more reaction type movement in baseball

there is plenty of reaction type movement at the starting line - or during the exchange of a baton - or making up a stagger - or holding off a late surge by an opponent

oneday":3e371erf said:
there is considerable thinking involved where in track there is almost no brain activity required, just run.

not true at all. plenty of brain activity goes during a race on the track - if not, you'll get beat by an athlete who has the same ability and runs smarter. even good 100m runners know that they must accelerate for the maximum distance in the race as possible, as top speed can only be achieved for several seconds before deceleration begins. for races to be won consistently, athletes must run smart - and that takes preparation and training. if thinking is required in a race as short as 100m, it's required in all running events. just getting out and running won't equal success for most athletes.

Well I was over stating the no thinking in track/running there is some, but it doesn't compare to the thinking involoved in baseball, and true there is some reaction movements in track events but you are doing it maybe 10 times throughout the whole day at a track meet (a day that lasts from 8am to 7pm). In baseball (on defense) you react to almost every pitch or swing of the bat and your muscles are ready to react on every pitch which is about 100-200 times through out the game (some positions will have more reaction type movements than others ie catcher v right field) for 1.5-3 hours a much more condinsed time frame than a track meet. So actually track meets have considerably more down time than a baseball game for athelets.

Now the only thing that track has over baseball is the actual running involved in training, and that is considerably more than baseball calls for, but I insist that baseball has far and away more reaction type movement involved than track (including it training/practice).

oneday":1fesfvkq said:
Now the only thing that track has over baseball is the actual running involved in training

I'd argue that point too. The notion that the actual physical running in track will pay off in August for conditioning purposes is a falsehood if there's nothing done between May and August. In track you can teach an athlete to have better reaction times, improved explosion, running technique (all of which requires ALOT training - both physical and mental.).

I would argue that baseball is simply a sport that requires a more specific skill set than track - just like basketball requires a more specific skill set than football. When I brought a team to Follett in '04 to play Tanner Woods & Co., I remember someone telling me that he'd shoot the basketball several days a week after football practice, and during basketball he'd throw pitches several days a week (my details may be sketchy, but that was the idea of what I was told) - obviously working on those skill sets year-round contributed to his athletic success.

I'm not knocking baseball at all - but when looking to move to Texas, I specifically sought a place that did not have (or have a chance of having) a baseball program. I'd had bad experiences in what baseball had done to the athletic programs I was involved with before I got to Texas. Here's the reason:

A good track workout requires self-discipline, because in order to get the job done, kids don't have time to worry about being "cool" (baseball players tend to worry about armbands, the brims of their hats, etc, etc.). Plus, I've found that most kids would prefer to be the worst player on a baseball team and never see the field (sitting in the dugout, spitting seeds,etc) than to work for self-improvement on the track.

In baseball you have to pay attention when in the field - but only have a 1 in 9 chance of the ball being hit to you on each pitch, and less than 50% chance of the ball even being put into play. In track, you wear a very "uncool" uniform, and you're accountable for your performance - there's no place to hide between the lines on the track. Success and improvement are tangible, and can be measured during each performance - there is no subjective performance evaluation. I like the fact that kids can't blame a coach, teammate or other factors for not having success - you either improve or you don't. The athlete is accountable for what happens.

Now, since getting to Texas and getting to know some of the coaches around here, I've learned that the good 6-man programs that have baseball also have a strong emphasis in track. I'll use Coach Goodwin/Coach Edwards at Ira, and Coach Richey at Borden County - both schools do a good job at both baseball and track, and of course have good football programs as well. I've eased in my hatred of baseball since getting down here, because if done properly they can coexist.

Now those points are hard to argue with! Baseball does seem to foster a pre-madonna/"do I look cool" state of mind in some and it is greater than on a track team, but some sprinters do have that pre-madonna attitude too (hate to single them out but that has been what I have seen in the past), they tend to want to buy the flashy Nike spikes for example (like Michael Johnson's...back in those days). But you have some of those types in all sports, but yes I would agree that in baseball you will have a tendency for more.

You can tell I love baseball and I wish it was more popular in this State/this area of the State.

lol...I agree w/the Sprinter thing - I and another coach were having a discussion about that stuff this past week - and we both agree that distance runners are a different breed (on the opposite end of the spectrum from cool). In general I don't care for "cool" athletes - because being cool will usually get you beat.

The problem with baseball in six-man schools, or even small rural schools for that matter, is that generally most of the kids never played little league or even seen a game. Atleast that was the problem when New Home started a baseball program when I was in high school my junior year. But I think everyone should have the opertunity to play. I had never played nor had I seen a game before I played my junior and senior year and now outside of football, it's my favorite sport. I have never been a big track guy, but I can understand why coaches would rather focus on track, atleast in six-man school. Chances of state in track in small schools is 1000x more likely than even a district title in baseball.

Paducah has a baseball team...we started our program in 1994 and in that first year we made it all the way to regionals and since then we have been doing nothin but getting 45d in baseball...lol :lol:

That is not true. The worst they have ever lost was 29-0 and yes that is a beating, but it was to Seymor who was a freakin powerhouse the last few seasons. They have won some games which you seem to forget. They always beat Knox City(only loss by forfit) and usually go 1-1 aginst Quannah. They also almost beat NS a in like 05 or 06 and they had Chevy Humphry on the mound who is now a college footballer, or at least had it offered to him.

Bump......

With the Hot Topic today being Throckmorton and them possibly getting baseball...thought some might enjoy more on the 6man schools getting baseball debate

Back in the olden days in Gordon we had a baseball team. It came to Gordon my sophomore year, 1982/1983. We got a young coach, Coach Draper, who had played college ball. The program was a real big thing and I went out for it. We still had track practice last period of school and then baseball after that. I think the first season we were ranked in the top 10 at the start of the season.

I played one game and then quit. I was always taught to never quit anything but baseball just was not my game. Practice usually lasted until 7 or 8 every night. This was at the same time as the UIL academic season and I did the number sense. I knew I had a better shot at scholarships in math than I did in baseball so did not want to take away from my study time for it.

I did not go out for baseball the next two seasons but we did have pretty good teams. Side note, we did not have any track standouts at this time and no one went to state in my 4 years of high school. We did go to the playoffs in football all but one of those years.

I believe if done right baseball can add to a school.

Andy

Back