sixman schools playing baseball

i was an asst baseball coach at northside last year. we play with the local 1A district around here though.

we went about 500.....we went against some great teams though. we got 3rd in district, and killed in playoffs by rawls. Seymour was in our district, and they made it to the tourn i think. they have a stud pitcher. hayden holub, same kid that took them to state game in football this year as QB

I could have told you that when he suggested we start baseball at GC. There is a reason most sixman schools don't play baseball. You can only stretch so many kids so many ways. We are quite happy being somewhere between competitive and dominant in track, golf and tennis in the spring.

When I was in school the kids all wanted to have a baseball team, but the AD wanted everyone to focus on track so we didn't get one. I bet if you polled high school kids 80% or better would want to play baseball rather than run track. But for some reason coach's just don't want their kids playing baseball (it seems to me). It is our National Pastime!!!

I know Hermleigh and Ira had baseball teams in the 90s, and maybe Westbrook, but don't know if they do now. I think Woodson had one too.

I think the problem is that it is rare in West Texas for even 1-A 11-man schools to have a baseball team, so if a 6-man school had one their district would be very far away in most cases I think.

Baseball is not only a track & field killer, but also a quick way to make athletes realize that standing around is easier than running. Throckmorton better get used to LOVING track as long as Reed is there......even golf may take a back burner.

You run the bases, you run to the ball when it is hit, there is running in baseball, usually all spriting. But there is down time were you are standing still. But you have more reaction type movement in baseball and there is considerable thinking involved where in track there is almost no brain activity required, just run.

Back