SIXMAN OPTION

Cherry5

11-man fan
So, i love the option and its really hard to get any true options going in sixman.
Just wondering if anyone runs any options that work them and if so how do u do it?

I guess I'm not getting the question.
What's so hard about running an option offence?
The TB in spread can run, pass or pitch. What else do you need?

"SIXMAN OPTION"

Yes, I do think you should have the option to have 6 men on the field at one time. If you check the rules though I believe it is not actually an option as you are required to have 6 men on the field, or 5 men and a girl as the case may be.

Andy

Coach Jones spoke at the last RS clinic and he didn't say anything about running the J-bird.
Mitch Lee did.
Jones used an un-balanced I and gave away 10 game films showing their play action out of the I.

Get your facts straight.

Dogface":3iofh6jh said:
Coach Jones spoke at the last RS clinic and he didn't say anything about running the J-bird.
Mitch Lee did.
Jones used an un-balanced I and gave away 10 game films showing their play action out of the I.

Get your facts straight.

Well CENSOREDmy facts are straight. i ran the option in high school with coach ware and its the same offense Coach Jones runs. Maybe he calls it something different. or maybe you got your head so far up your ass you didnt understand what he was talking about. Either way the J-Bird has an option and its not the only way to run an option in 6man i gave the way i knew how, if it not what you wanted dont pay attention to it.

EDITED BY OBK

Jones calls it something else because it is something else.
Grow up and clean up your mouth, you're embarassing.

Coach Jones & Coach Ware runs the same EXACT plays/offense. Only difference is Jones calls his the Sanderson Veer while Ware calls his the J-Bird.
Exact same philosophy, Exact same terminology, Exact same plays. I for one do believe that Coach Jones has a more safisticated passing attack as Coach Ware really only had a good passing attack with K. Ward.
Coach Ware has a more physical running attack in my opinion because he has implemented Coach Mike Reeds J-bird offense with it.

If your tailback is lining up directly behind the QB and around 5-7 yds. deep as opposed to offset to the left/right depending which way the line is going then you probably need to call it something else because it isn't the original J-bird (Jayton).

Running the exact same plays out of similar (or even different) formations is nothing new.

Running, passing, pitching.
It's good to have options.

Gentlemen, I don't often give advice but thought I might make a suggestion. First, Cherry, I thought this might give you an "option" on your answer but a couple of others might find it informative too. Get a copy of Coach C H Underwood's book SIXMAN FOOTBALL and read and study the diagrams of the plays on all 11 pages of chapter 11. It's titled An Option Offense by Coach Vance Jones. Think about it. Reread it. Then call Coach Jones, his assistants or the others suggested on here if you have questions, after the season, not now. From what I'd read on this site I thought the book was out of publication but I stumbled across it on Amazon.
Seems it was published in 1974 but updated and re-issued in 04-05. Very interesting beyond the offense- defense X's & O's in terms of general information and history. Good pictures too.
I'm not a coach but bought it simply for a better uderstanding of what I see on the field (though with the expansion of 6man pee-wee coaching could be fun again, the 1 year I did it in 11 man was rewarding & taught me how little I really know about the game).

This is a good Dredge!!!
Or, is it more like scratching off a scab?

I too believe all schools should opt for the option of playing 6man!

(I gave 5- 6week spelling tests today
and used each word in a sentence
about the 6man game over in Karnack.
I was the only one who thought it was fun)

I guess there's no accounting for taste.

Back