Six Man vs Eleven Man

TebowTime15":izj57q85 said:
That's interesting.

Reed also should have given the 11-man school his assistant to give them a shot in 6-man; ignorance is the only reason they didn't score more points in the 6-man portion.
It's my understanding they did give us their playbook!!! Don't remember much about the game other than we got it handed to us!! Like Throckmorton in the 11 man portion, we tried to milk the clock as much as possible to keep it running, but that was no help. Throckmorton quickly scored their 45 points before calling off the "dogs"!! Think our first mistake was snapping the ball directly to the QB, so that took away any threat of him becoming a runner, if I understand six-man rules correctly, as everyone else left the backfield. In the huddle we used diagrammed play cards to call plays so everyone would kind of know what they were "supposed" to do!!

TebowTime15":2pb0scxt said:
No, that isn't what I mean at all. The only reason for a 6-man school to play 11-man or vice versa, or both in the case of the the game I referenced, is to get a look for future games.

I am all for teams "giving it their all," but the point of playing, especially before district, is to get something out of it to help you later. Preying on an 11-man school's ignorance does not make a sixman team better.
It's not like there was a bunch of teams lining up to play Throckmorton that year. We backed out of the game the next year and found a brand new 11 man team to beat the lips off of us, Brock!!!

I would line up the 11 players and have them sprint 20's. The top 6 will be who I take, regardless of position.
What if some of the speed demons you picked couldn't catch a ball to save their life? There is a difference between an athlete and a player. Has to be a skill set in there somewhere. Check all the lineups of college basketball. They recruit athletes and hope they figure out how to dribble and shoot a basket at some point in their career before entering the draft. Lol Same way with football. Some of these kids dream of nothing other than playing football at their school. They might not be the biggest or fastest but they know how to and want to play.

I would line up the 11 players and have them sprint 20's. The top 6 will be who I take, regardless of position.
Touché, speed kills in sixman. But I was thinking the QB might be an outside LB, the HB, likely a SB in sixman might be the safety in sixman as well. This might alter the selection as well. In addition quickness as opposed to just speed might play a role in a selection or two.

What if some of the speed demons you picked couldn't catch a ball to save their life? There is a difference between an athlete and a player. Has to be a skill set in there somewhere. Check all the lineups of college basketball. They recruit athletes and hope they figure out how to dribble and shoot a basket at some point in their career before entering the draft. Lol Same way with football. Some of these kids dream of nothing other than playing football at their school. They might not be the biggest or fastest but they know how to and want to play.
What if my aunt had balls, then she'd be my uncle. I would assume that is where coaching comes into play. I will take speed over skillset in 6 man. Just my opinion.

Take a look at what happened a few years ago when a sixman team actually played an 11 man team. They played 11 man the first half and I believe it was 7 to 0. The second half that sixman team dominated.
Throck played windthorst

Let's say you wanted to take six players from an 11-Man team and have them play a 6-Man team.
Both teams may only have six players (unless adding a kicker) and must go both ways the entire game. All of the 11 Man team players are talented at their positions and have the ability to go both ways. Describe what 6 players you will pick from the 11 man team by position and why. Option: a kicker may be added (a 7th player) but that is all he/she may do. Usually in 6-man, the kicker is a starter.

I would pick 1. Quarterback 2. Halfback. 3. tight End .4 wide receiver 5. Middle linebacker 6. Free safety
I would not pick a 300 lb high school lineman from the standpoint of stamina and quickness.
I would take 3 safeties and 3 receivers.

What if my aunt had balls, then she'd be my uncle. I would assume that is where coaching comes into play. I will take speed over skillset in 6 man. Just my opinion.
Does your aunt look anything like your picture? Lol Is she skittish around pocket knives? If speed is all that's needed we sure don't need coaches any more. Because skillset is what they teach and what separates the good teams from the average ones. Or at least the players that are listening enough to learn.

Does your aunt look anything like your picture? Lol Is she skittish around pocket knives? If speed is all that's needed we sure don't need coaches any more. Because skillset is what they teach and what separates the good teams from the average ones. Or at least the players that are listening enough to learn.
lol my aunt may just be my uncle since she's Cajun and her hands are small and smell of cabbage! On a serious note, I've seen all different styles win at both 6 man and 11 man. For me, the only thing that a coach can't control is natural speed, therefore that would be my choice. I will grow them in the weight room, in the film room, and at practice. It's hard to take a 5.5 kid and turn him into a 4.5 kid. Only God could do that.

Somebody's got to chunk the rock, and somebody's got to tote it, to keep the defense honest. Then again it's still all about blocking and tackling.
This is probably a bad comparison, but if you took 6 NFL Players, I would probably take Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, and Lamar Jackson, TJ Watt, Derwin James, and Budda Baker. However, that is the best of the best, if I had to look up to a 2A or a 3A school, I'd probably take 3 safeties and 3 receivers, generally. Imagine a safety like Ed Reed playing two ways on a sixman field.

I think some of the 6-man guys on here need to go watch and 11 man game. The style has changed. They run the spread offense most of the time and throw the ball all over the field. I expect their players are in pretty good shape. The games are different in style and either one would be at a disadvantage playing the other.

Back