Shoulder Pad Tackling Is Targeting?

BE

Six-man fan
Calvert's QB was ejected for Targeting in the first quarter of their game with Allen Academy tonight. The Trojan player was playing Safety and tackled a Receiver who had just caught a pass and taken two steps when hit with a shoulder pad. The line judge on the visiting sideline threw the flag and made the call to the Whitehat who signaled the infraction and subsequent ejection. This is the second time I have seen this call. Both times the Whitehat said it was leading with the helmet.

You know people, tonight I felt ashamed to be associated to an organization that designs a rule which apparently has no safety net to prevent gross error and is being abused by grown ass men who think they know what or how this rule is meant to be used to keep our kids safe. It is a travesty to organized athletics. It is a good rule being incompetently applied and must be corrected. It must have a way to be reviewed through technology or by allowing all the officials to meet together for a brief review before throwing a player out of the game. The way it is used and applied now is nothing short of ... I cant say it. But I will say it is pathetically unfair and unjust, and has no business being used in our educational system.

Would someone please send a copy of this game thru Hudl to the chapter and to the UIL for examination and correction so that this kind of thing never taints our sport again. It was embarrassing and reflected poorly on every official, coach and administrator who represents fairness and professionalism in our Texas football communities. And it has opened many eyes to the need for a better idea from the UIL.

It is the most ill-conceived rule I have seen in sports in my life. To give an official the power and authority to eject a player based on his fallible interpretation is the height of foolishness. Throwing a football player out of a contest for hitting with a shoulder pad is shameful. And it is another step toward the wusseyfication of our young men. And let me tell you how that insane call affected the game. For the next ten minutes the Calvert players opened up a can of whoop ass the likes I have not seen in years. Some of the players chose to totally change their tackling method to prevent being likewise ejected and used a slamming technique that had three or four Allen players definitely hurt by the concussion of their bodies hitting the ground. The tackles were violent. And I cant blame any kid for tackling like that when they are unsure of what their teammate did wrong that caused him to be thrown out.
I suppose next year the UIL will have to outlaw slam tackling. Better yet maybe they will ban the use of earth used for a football field and require all our schools to put down nerf-turf. Perhaps we better start coordinating our uniforms with the bright red and yellow flags soon to be strapped to our player's waists.

You nailed it coach. I have nothing to add as you said it all. Just wanted to comment so you knew you weren't alone in this thinking.

Amen Coach!!! This is the result of reactionary policy due to the sensationalized reporting by the National media about concussions.

Had a kid ejected 2 years ago for the exact same thing. Without instant replay, this is a call that should not result in an ejection. It's not a fair rule for the kids.

This call was definitely not to our liking, but that is the risk taken with such a rule implemented.

Luckily UIL rule says that the ejection is only for the game the athlete is ejected in, so he will be able to play next week.

From what this says, since there was no instant replay, he should only be suspended for the rest of the game only. This was from 2013 and I could be interpreting it wrong. This addition follows the part about video appeal to the national coordinator, blah blah blah

UIL Modified: In UIL games, the penalty statement(s) for rules 9-1-3
& 9-1-4 will include disqualification, however, the disqualification will
be for the remainder of the game only. Instant Replay review does
not apply, nor does an appeal to a national coordinator. Local
school districts and/or UIL District Committees may apply additional
disciplinary action.

Good to hear. The kid ejected said the official told him he would have to sit out four quarters, I told him that was not the rule up to July, but maybe it had been modified. I will call the UIL Monday to verify. Our player at Follett did not have to miss another game or part of the next game.

I will add that when I spoke to the UIL in 2013 the representative in Austin (wont mention his name) encouraged me to assign consequences beyond just the game he was ejected from. With that I was dumbfounded and lost all wit for a solid ten seconds. Speechless. Finally I said "you have lost your mind, sir. I just told you my kid did not commit anything close to Targeting." He said that he had to take the official's side. I responded that it might be wiser to take the word of a twenty year coach. Ok I fudged a little. He acted like I was failing to do my job as a teacher and coach by not taking a firmer stand against this serious infraction. Again I told him I didn't agree with the call. And I said I believed any additional action to punish the player would add to his feeling of being unfairly ejected, exasperating the damage already done.

It truly felt like I was speaking to a close-minded liberal who had been bullied as a youth and wanted to see another bully punished.
Forgive me for ranting about this situation. All my life I have never had a problem with anyone treating me in a questionable manner, but I cannot tolerate kids being unfairly treated, especially by those in authority who know better.

If the receiver was deemed a defenseless player and was struck in the head or neck area, the officials got it correct.

Maybe instead of trolling an internet forum and whining like a punk-ass kid - you could get off said ass, act like a grown-ass man and show all officials everywhere the greatness of your football acumen. I'm sure every TASO chapter in the state would love to have you.

rainjacktx":ao83kxf2 said:
If the receiver was deemed a defenseless player and was struck in the head or neck area, the officials got it correct.

Maybe instead of trolling an internet forum and whining like a punk-ass kid - you could get off said ass, act like a grown-ass man and show all officials everywhere the greatness of your football acumen. I'm sure every TASO chapter in the state would love to have you.
You're complaining about someone trolling a forum? That's all I see you do on here. BE has proven himself multiple times as a coach. I have 20 times more trust in his words then I do someone who sits on this site to down talk and troll others.

rainjacktx":3b70mya8 said:
I love it when ignorant people are all too happy to fall all over themselves to show just how ignorant they can be.
You tend to call alot of people dumb and/or ignorant. Have you ever thought that you might be the ignorant one? I leave it at that.

B6MF":23g89zwk said:
You tend to call alot of people dumb and/or ignorant.Have you ever thought that you might be the ignorant one? I leave it that.

I thought that once. Then I realized how ignorant it was to think that I am ignorant. And I'll leave it at that.

Of course Rainjack, but that wasn't the case. The official blew it, and it is time for a change to be made before anyone else is ejected because of a mistake in interpretation. What's going to happen is a team's go-to-guy is going to be thrown out in same situation and everyone is going to scrutinize the call over and over and determine how could something so preventable happen in Texas HS football. That cant happen. It doesn't have to happen, but eventually will unless the appropriate people employ a small measure of vision to nip it before.

I'll agree with you if and only if you know for a fact that the call was leading with the helmet. That was replaced last year with "targeting". And this year, the rules were changed to say - in addition to the old targeting rule - that any blow to the head or neck area of a defenseless player is considered targeting.

Don't blame the officials for enforcing rules that the UIL imposes on the game. If you would like, I will gladly send you a pdf copy of the 2015 NCAA rulebook, plus all UIL exceptions.

MY issue with your post is blaming officials for enforcing rules they are required to enforce. Targeting is targeting. None of us have to like it, but that is more a complaint against the nanny state of the UIL than an official trying to affect the outcome of a game.

Unfortunately, our small schools receive the newby refs. I have seen some really good crews and others haven't been so swell. I know the officials are trying to make the best call and enforce the rules as they are interpreted but sometimes it is plumb horrible. Coaches are of the same mind set. They want their athletes protected but they also want a fair shake. We crazies sitting in the bleachers blame both. Maybe one of these years in the perfect world we live in the refs, coaches, and fans can all be pleased about a game played.

swires":26hwbk1h said:
Unfortunately, our small schools receive the newby refs. I have seen some really good crews and others haven't been so swell. I know the officials are trying to make the best call and enforce the rules as they are interpreted but sometimes it is plumb horrible. Coaches are of the same mind set. They want their athletes protected but they also want a fair shake. We crazies sitting in the bleachers blame both. Maybe one of these years in the perfect world we live in the refs, coaches, and fans can all be pleased about a game played.

Welcome to 6-man. No one wants to call our games. Until the playoffs start. Then it's not about targeting, it's about the basic rules because you get officials who have never called a 6-man game all season.

You missed the point. It doesn't matter if its targeting or holding. Its just the way it is! And I have seen playoff games worse than regular season games. I have seen 11 man games just as bad. The main point I was trying to make is that we are all fallible. Ref's make mistakes. Coaches make mistakes. Young men make mistakes. People in the bleachers yell at the ref's and coaches both. At any given time, any or all of us can be wrong or right. It's not a perfect system and it never will be. Just life as we know it.

Back