Should teams that cancel(because they feel unready) be rank1

I think that if a team calls you and tell you they wanna play just because they think your a weak team just isn't right. A team tried to play my team this weekend and when we sent in game film they automatically decided they didnt want to play. Whats that telling kids these days. Quit because you think your going to lose. Ive never been on a winning team till this year and my teams have never quit a game just because we felt outmatched. We loved the game and we went out with the mindset that no matter how hard a oppenent is we would play till the buzzer. What makes me more mad is that a number one team in there division would do this just to protect there rank. Football is a life lesson and I feel like coachs need to know that what they teach there kids now they will never forget. Thats whats on my mind.

Since Arlington High Point and Waco Live Oak both played this weekend, I assume you are talking about Marshall Christian Academy. Why do you not just say it?

I have no idea if what you say is correct, but I find it hard to believe that MCA doesn't realize that more or less 25 people in the entire world care who is number one in TCAL DII after week 2. Don't sweat it, if they are canceling games to maintain their TCAL DII ranking after week 2, it will not be long until they are not #1.

I don't believe any team quit because they were afraid of losing. We all play knowing that losing is always a possibility.

17 year olds may use any grammar they choose to when rambling thank you and I didnt feel like calling anybody out about it but was more saying that it's just not right. Theres a lesson to be learned and I may not be able to say what it is exactly but I get the main meaning of it.

GSB":3o9o440n said:
Since Arlington High Point and Waco Live Oak both played this weekend, I assume you are talking about Marshall Christian Academy. Why do you not just say it?

I have no idea if what you say is correct, but I find it hard to believe that MCA doesn't realize that more or less 25 people in the entire world care who is number one in TCAL DII after week 2. Don't sweat it, if they are canceling games to maintain their TCAL DII ranking after week 2, it will not be long until they are not #1.

http://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/sp ... 5b954.html

Might not be Marshall we're tallking about. (I think I know where this is coming from, but that's just speculation on my part.)

According to this article, their game vs. Corsicana Agape Christian was moved back to October 22nd. I don't believe Agape has started the season.

I guess we should tell folks that if you're planning to start a football team, you start practice in the beginning of August, not when school starts or after Labor Day. I know it was 105 in the shade and there was no shade this August, which brings up the story of off-season training and conditioning, but we'll leave that lecture for another day.

Class dismissed.

tepryde":3eizemin said:
I don't believe any team quit because they were afraid of losing. We all play knowing that losing is always a possibility.

The time to determine who you should play should be determined PRIOR to scheduling the game.

Regular readers of my rants will remember the story I tell about scheduling our first game. We took a couple trips up to Austin Regents (who won three state titles in their last three years of sixman ball before going to that crowded field version) to watch them play and show the locals about the game.

I think I at least once joked about how I thought I could get Regents for our opening game (in 2003). Like lots of my jokes, it wasn't well received.

So, one day, the cell phone rings and it's my pal, Beck Brydon at Regents. Seems he'd like to have an opponent for opening day (which we still had open). I laugh and tell Beck the story.

I also politely declined his generous offer, partly out of concern for my personal potential liability under the child abuse statutes of Texas state laws. And thinking that if I was foolish enough to schedule that game, it could be not only the first Lifegate football game, it could be the last one, too.

Ended up getting Freddy Heritage. They were 1-6 the year before (their first). Beat us, lost the next game, and then won 35 in a row before losing. And we got them the next week.

If you get canceled on, it is a let down, no doubt. Unfortunately, it isn't as always as clear as "scared" of ranking or team. It may come down to how many players available for that game, it could be financial if it is an away game, so just not so clear that they don't want to play a team. IF you believe that to be the case, then be glad that they did what they felt was best for their team.

I have had team cancel on us and we just have to find a team to play or have a bye. When it comes district play, you play or lose. Got to love the fact that players want to play. You maybe seeing more cancelations once grades come out in some schools. I don't coach at any of the schools mentioned, so I just wanted to "chime" in.

Not always as clear cut or what it appears to be. I hate it for the players that want to play. Everyone wants to win. I would take a loss if we played up and it was a challenge for our team. Playing a team that you can run over is not the solution. I am not a High Point fan but they played up playing Lucas. Lucas was underdog by 18 and ran away with the game. Who wins that game, both programs. High Point gets to feel a loss & Lucas gets to play the defending state champions and stop their winning streak.

So yes if they feel like they need to cancel for what ever reason, that is on them, not on you...

coachtim":udiba361 said:
If you get canceled on, it is a let down, no doubt. Unfortunately, it isn't as always as clear as "scared" of ranking or team. It may come down to how many players available for that game, it could be financial if it is an away game, so just not so clear that they don't want to play a team. IF you believe that to be the case, then be glad that they did what they felt was best for their team.

I have had team cancel on us and we just have to find a team to play or have a bye. When it comes district play, you play or lose. Got to love the fact that players want to play. You maybe seeing more cancelations once grades come out in some schools. I don't coach at any of the schools mentioned, so I just wanted to "chime" in.

Not always as clear cut or what it appears to be. I hate it for the players that want to play. Everyone wants to win. I would take a loss if we played up and it was a challenge for our team. Playing a team that you can run over is not the solution. I am not a High Point fan but they played up playing Lucas. Lucas was underdog by 18 and ran away with the game. Who wins that game, both programs. High Point gets to feel a loss & Lucas gets to play the defending state champions and stop their winning streak.

So yes if they feel like they need to cancel for what ever reason, that is on them, not on you...

I agree with most of this ... but a couple things:

Cancellations happen, especially at the smallest of sixman schools. Got 8 kids, three get hurt. Things like that happen. But what you need to do is when you see it coming, call teams ahead of time. Don't make the call on Thursday --- call right away when you know numbers will be low. Perhaps you might get a kid back in time, but be proactive and let your opponent know and let them decide what to do. Same thing with grades. Hint ... it wouldn't be a bad idea to send all the teachers a note asking if any of your athletes have grade problems (aka "grade check"). No reason for that to be a suprise.

A couple of years ago, Bellville Faith decided they could not complete their season. But what they did was say that they would play the next game or two and then end the year (about week 5: I think their last game that year was here at Lifegate). They didn't play in 2010 but are resuming this year.

I got a problem with travel issues being a part of cancellations. Folks, unless a major earthquake separates Texas cities between the time of scheduling and playing the game, your opponent is just as far away today as the day you scheduled the game. You might be used to playing neighborhood opponents ... don't complain about that one long road trip, because chances are that opponent makes a lot more road trips than you do.

If the school administration is a problem ... well, this is something you should be doing anyway ... meet with your principal or school authorities. They may have folks they don't want to play (hopefully for a good reason) or may want to keep travel to a certain distance (I heard of one metro ISD, large schools, that prohibits travel outside of district games beyond 50 miles ... obviously not a sixman school). Okay, so get the bosses to sign off on any game you schedule. When you call me from Podunk Christian and tell me you'd like to schedule my boys from East Bugtussle Christian and we agree to it, then tell me, hey, John, I first have to get an okay from the school administrator. Can I call you back in a couple hours (a day, whatever)? Then go over to the administrators office and say, hey, I'd like to schedule East Bugtussle Christian on September 10, 2012 at our place and then we'd go to their place the same weekend in 2013. If the boss says okay, then call me and schedule the game (and it wouldn't be a bad idea to confirm the schedule with an email to the administrator and me as well). That also covers your school if for some reason you leave and then the new coach has a schedule in hand.

Hint ... TAPPS will be requiring ALL varsity football games to be done on a written contract starting in 2012-2013.

But cancelling because the trip your opponents took last year to your place is too far for your school to go is a dirty rotten Louisiana high school trick.

If you need to cancel a road game, especially with minimal notice, I think it's your responsibility to offer the home team to cover reasonable expenses (such as the cost of officials). I know of districts that have up to $1000 per game cancellation penalties, and hey, if you rent a field or portable lights and with officials, you can easily be out that much money especially if the facitily doesn't waive the rental fee. And officials can't always find a last-minute game and losing a game can affect their chapter's rating for playoff assignments, etc.

And please, don't cancel a game by leaving a voice message or e-mail and then being unreachable. You might want to tell the coach what is going on by a message, but please talk to him voice-to-voice at some time.

Reminds me of a basketball tournament we had once. Lined up a school to attend. Two days before the tournament, they call and leave a message -- not coming. No call back number. I find the coach's phone number, he doesn't return my calls.

Call the school office and speak with the Principal. She informs me that the church elders decided that the high school kids would all be going on a retreat or something like that. Last minute, sorry, but that's God's will or something like that. I let her have it. I asked her if it was God's will to teach her kids that committments and responsibility mean something. The coach never did call me back. And I think the school closed soon after.

Again, it's understandable games get cancelled. Just be proactive about it, because if you get a reputation of cancelling for little or no reason, a lot of schools just won't bother to schedule you.

I wouldnt care if it was problems like that but unfortunately I do know the situtation on why it was cancelled and thats why im disappointed. I'm not going to bash a team for what they said. It's out of my control and I am just saying that I personnaly would never back out of a game unless it was TOTALLY necessary. End of Subject.

Hutch33":2ncd9eu9 said:
I wouldnt care if it was problems like that but unfortunately I do know the situtation on why it was cancelled and thats why im disappointed. I'm not going to bash a team for what they said. It's out of my control and I am just saying that I personnaly would never back out of a game unless it was TOTALLY necessary. End of Subject.

Not sure, but I may have an idea on the situation. But that's someone else's issue. I can find enough problems of my own.

I will tell you I did cancel a game once with a team during the season. It was an issue about eligibility of a player (the kid was playing his 5th year of high school ball and the school agreed not to play the kid against us, but refused to sit him for a game team the week against a school much weaker than ours). Our principal said he wouldn't allow the game once he learned that the school seemed to be picking and choosing games the kid would be playing or not playing, and since I was an (unpaid) employee of the school, I did what I was told. But it was cancelled about two weeks ahead of time.

But here's what I consider "legitimate reasons" for cancelling a game:

1. Injuries or ineligibilities (such as academics or disciplinary) that reduce your team under 6 players. If you got six boys, you play the game. May not be the six you want, but you play the game. And I'm going to be proactive if I'm on the short end and expect that you will do the same if it affects your squad.

I noticed Payton Manning is going to miss a few games following his neck surgery, maybe the whole season. I didn't hear anything about the Indianapolis Colts trying to reschedule games.

2. Acts of God stuff. For example, last week Bastrop HS cancelled their football game (fires, school out all week). Floods, hurricanes, thunderstorms, etc. are other examples. I remember back on 9-11 (2001), over sixty HS volleyball games in San Antonio were cancelled. If three kids from my school were killed in a car wreck that day, you probably are going to get a call from me asking if we can postpone or cancel the game. If you called me with the same situation, I would immediately agree to a postponment or cancellation.

3. Concerns about eligibility. These are best solved in advance when games are scheduled. I'm going to assume that if you belong to one of the major leagues, you subscribe to common eligibility rules (under 19 as of 9/1, four consecutive years, no hs graduates, etc.). If I find out you're gonna stick a 22 year old ringer in against my squad, there ain't gonna be a game that night.

That's not because I'm scared of you and your kids, I'm more scared of what my parents and school administrators are going to do to me if they find out I knew that my kids would compete against someone other than a high school student. Because, if one of my freshman kids gets hurt because some guy the age of a college junior, the parents are going to be visiting my house with torches and pitchforks and ropes looking for me and a nearby tree. Oh, and they'll also bring a lawyer. The latter is scarier than the former. And it would probably be the last game I coach for that school. (Especially if the parents get their hands on me before the lawyer does.)

Now, if I know there is a school that wants to play my team and I know (or have a high suspicion) that the school has a "history" of obtaining decent athletes through transfers that are often questionable, chances are I won't be scheduling that school for contests to start with -- in any sport. And if the source of some of those transfers are my own school, you can bet your grocery money they won't be on my schedule.

Hutch 33 if you know the reason, were you part of the team that canceled? Or did you hear about it from a 3rd party, gossip or from the source the coach & administration at that school?

If the answer is other than the Coach or Administration, you need to stop being the source of adding to the gossip, rumor, etc. I know this is tough love, but don't be quick to judge if you don't have all the facts.

I don't know the facts, so I am just making a statement based on your last comment. You said you know, then say exactly what you know and how you know it. If you just talking then let others know you are just talking gossip, etc.

Back