Semifinal's

david9h

11-man fan
I'll take Granbury NCTA over Wichita Falls Notre Dame by 35. To say that you can come up with a game plan for Granbury's #22 Mekhi Heyman is like saying you've got a game plan for a flood. You may slow it (him) down but, like it or not, its coming and you can't stop it (him). And in the words of Mike Tyson, "Everybody has a plan until they get hit in the mouth." Notre Dame can have success running out of the tight formation and pounding it up the middle but they're going to have to match them score for score and I don't see that happening. I've seen both teams play. #1 Skyler Whitten is the fastest player I've seen in a while and he runs hard. Heyman, however, is in a class by himself.

I see Seguin Lifegate winning the rematch with San Marcos Hill Country. I'll take Sequin by 6. Could go either way. I do see a defensive struggle and a low scoring game.

Good luck to all teams in the semi's, congratulations for making it this far and safe travels.

I am leaning toward your prediction david, as you were correct in last week saying Trinity couldn't get off to a slow start vs. ND or they'd be in trouble. They did and they were.

I didn't get to see the Granbury ND game earlier this year, but if what I read on these boards is true Heyman is the second-coming of Hershel Walker, lol. I think you are right again in that ND won't be able to bottle him up, but they'll have to find a way to at least slow him down if they have any chance of sneaking this one out.

I also agree that Whitten is the fastest player I've ever seen at this level, and the toughness with which he runs is a testament to the old adage that it's not the size of the dog in the fight.

I'm excited to see this matchup. At the very least I think we can agree that the right two teams are playing in this one and that neither is here by fluke.

Call it a hunch, but I'm going to go with San Marcos in the other game. I feel like their defense is going to hold up and get the stops when they need it.

Good luck to all the teams and congratulations for making it this far.

I'll gladly admit my homerism on this one and go with my ND Knights. Why not? No one else is likely to pick them in this David versus Goliath matchup. Guess I'll look like the smartest guy in the room if they can pull off the upset.

That #22 kid is a beast no doubt. But one player does not a team make. I've watched these ND boys through many ups and downs this season. They may not be the most talented bunch I've ever seen with those uniforms, but they definitely seem like the most cohesive. Very proud of their accomplishments to this point and look forward to Friday's game.

“Giants are not what we think they are. The same qualities that appear to give them strength are often the sources of great weakness.” - Malcom Gladwell

Always love to see a Malcolm Gladwell quote on 6man.com! That's not something you see every day (maybe ever?)

One player does not a team make but when that one player is 6'2", 220 and is fast and experienced at the game of football, you will have your hands full. Granbury has players other than #22. #33 is a very good lead blocker. They have good offensive lineman. Their #4 was our district's defensive mvp and he is fast, tenacious and never stops. They are very well coached and extremely high energy.

While I predict Granbury to win, I don't think an upset is out of the question. If you hit #22 behind the line of scrimmage, hit him low and gang tackle, you can stop him. Only problem with that is - nobody's done it all year (including Notre Dame).

I was impressed with ND's #2 Jake Abernathy. He comes to play on defense and isn't afraid to mix it up. Also impressed with #23 Salazar and of course, #1 Whitten is a special player.

My son told me after the Trinity/ ND quarterfinal game they went to Whataburger for dinner and there was the Notre Dame football team. They ended up eating together and my son said "Those guys were pretty cool" (which is high praise from a 17 year old). So while I predict Granbury to win, I've got equal respect for both teams and would not be surprised for ND to pull it out.

Good luck to both teams and safe travels!

Congratulations to all four teams that advanced to the semi finals! Well deserved and great job!
I have had the privilege of competing against each of the four programs over the years. I have been blessed to watch all four of these coaches and their staffs work tirelessly to build their programs.
I cannot say enough good things about each of these coaches. What each of them are doing for kids goes way beyond the football field. They have put in years of time and made many sacrifices to master the game of six man football and to teach their players the fundamentals and techniques that It takes to give your program a shot at the title.

Passionately I wish we were competing with these guys for the title. Nonetheless, it will be a joy to watch all four of these coaches and their programs battle for the state championship. Knowing all four of them personally I have no doubt that each game will be played with class and with great honor to the Lord.

Obviously, I have no picks to submit as I believe any team can win on any given day. I pray for safe travels, safe competition and that each coach and each player would walk off the field with their head high. To get to this point in the season and be only four teams left standing is a tremendous accomplishment.

In the end we are all on the same team, warriors for Christ! Best of luck to all!!!

There sure was a flood out there tonight in Bridgeport. A flood of emotion as the NOTRE DAME KNIGHTS once again proved all their doubters wrong.

I guess that's why they play the game.

Congratulations, boys. One more week. Y'all still got work to do!

65-48 Final Notre Dame.

Heck of a game. One I had the privilege of seeing in person.

God bless you, boys. Congratulations and good luck next week!

MaxPreps says San Marcos - Seguin game is at 3 today

Congrats to Notre Dame! Love to hear some details on how the game went down?

The weather was the true equalizer. NCTA kept coughing the ball up giving ND second chance opportunities. That and once #22 came up a little gimpy during crunch time, NCTA lost all their mojo. Which is the danger of a team's game plan being centered solely on a single talent. No matter how impressive that talent may be.

Not to take anything away from ND. They played their hearts out. Made a couple big stops when they needed to. And their go to combo of Whitten and Salazar once again came through big. Not to mention the many others who names won't show up in the box score, but who's contributions on the field can't be overlooked or under appreciated.

Nobody gave ND a chance, but they proved that a team working together will always beat individual talent.

337 pm -- End of 1st Quarter: Hill Co. 16, Lifegate 14
Lifegate has TD on pick 6 and recovered onside kid before turning over on downs.

340 pm -- first play of 2nd quarter, Hill Co. fumbles ball away -- five turnovers already (first two by Lifegate, next three by Hill Co.)

342 pm -- Lifegate gives up a pick 6 but a flag on the play takes the points off the board (holding on the return on Hill Co.), so it's still a turnover with the ball at the Lifegate 30. No Rain, overcast, field may be damp, but nothing like the rotten conditions elsewhere.

352 pm -- Teams traded td's--- Hill Co. 24, Lifegate 20 midway through the 2nd, Lifegate recovers a fumble on the first play from scrimmage (I think that's 7th turnover ... 4 HC, 3 LCS)

401 pm -- Lifegate fumbles deep in Hill Co. territory late in the first half (51 seconds left). That's the 8th turnover. Broadcast online at http://www.seguintoday.com

403 pm -- Lifegate with another interception (#9 turnover); with a flag against HC, it's first & 15 at the 21. Couple of plays and it's 3rd and goal from the 2 with 5 seconds left. Lifegate gives up a pick 6 (79 yard return) on the last play of the half and Hill Co. goes up 32-20 at half.

My count is 10 turnovers in the first half -- 5 each way.

439 pm -- Midway through the 3rd. No additional turnovers, but HC hold Lifegate on downs on initial possession and scores on their possession -- 38-20 HC.

456 pm -- End of three, Hill Co. leads 38-20; Lifegate starts the fourth with a second and goal from the 23. Lifegate has had at least two or three trips into the red zone with no points.

504 pm -- 7:27 left; Hill Co. scores again to lead 46-20; Hill Co. recovers the onside kick. Unless something crazy happens, it should be Hill Co. vs. Notre Dame.

512 pm -- under 4 minutes, Lifegate gives up a safety: 48-20 Hill Country

Back