Scrimmages of Note

Watched a 3 way scrimmage involving Stephenville Faith, Cherokee and May. I was disappointed in Cherokee. I thought they would show up with better play than they did. In my opinion, they will have to improve the make the playoffs from their district. Of course this is just the first scrimmage and I probably should not draw any serious conclusions from it. May had a young team playing and outplayed the other two teams in the scrimmage.
Take it easy on the Tribe . We are very young this year give us a couple of weeks to adjust, we will be fine . Keep in mind D1 vs D2 what did you expect plus it was just a scrimmage.

I guess I was expecting Cherokee to play at a playoff level. In hindsight, I was expecting too much. I knew they had lost two very good linemen to graduation. May did not suit up a single senior and had only 3 players that played on their varsity last year. Considering their youth, I thought they played pretty well. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think there is a whole lot of difference between the top ten in D 2 and the top ten in D1. D1 will have more depth but you can only put six kids on the field at a time.

Take it easy on the Tribe . We are very young this year give us a couple of weeks to adjust, we will be fine . Keep in mind D1 vs D2 what did you expect plus it was just a scrimmage.
How was Stephenville Faith? They are one of the teams we are scrimmaging on Friday.

Stephenville Faith has a solid, athletic team. I don't know which private school league and division they play in, but they should make their playoffs. The problem that most private schools have to deal with is their blocking and tackling skills are not quite as good as they could be. But, again, this is the first scrimmage. They have plenty of time to improve.

Stephenville Faith has a solid, athletic team. I don't know which private school league and division they play in, but they should make their playoffs. The problem that most private schools have to deal with is their blocking and tackling skills are not quite as good as they could be. But, again, this is the first scrimmage. They have plenty of time to improve.
If you think that you are watching the wrong small private schools

If you think that you are watching the wrong small private schools

If he thinks they have time to improve?
  • It's a scrimmage. There is time and room for improvement. IIRC, our team had a pretty rough couple of scrimmages and they turned out ok, even with missing their QB for the first 4-5 games. Scrimmages aren't always indicative of success in the season.

They should make the playoffs?
  • Didn't they finish at the top of their district last year?

The problem that most private schools have to deal with is their blocking and tackling skills are not quite as good as they could be.
  • Now that I've finished reading his comment again, this must be what you are referring to. We just played them in a scrimmage on Friday. Our guys were gassed when we finally played them (we have a small team with only two subs) and S'ville still looked fresh, probably because they had 15-18 kids and were likely subbing in most of them. Our guys still made them miss here and there, but they certainly didn't look any worse at tackling than most teams. Any team can look bad at tackling when the ball carrier is quick and in the open field. Also, their plays lended themselves well to cutting off multiple defenders, from the backside, and their blocking seemed pretty good when running off the edges. So, I'm not sure where this comment comes from.

• It's a scrimmage. There is time and room for improvement. IIRC, our team had a pretty rough couple of scrimmages and they turned out ok, even with missing their QB for the first 4-5 games. Scrimmages aren't always indicative of success in the season.

The problem that most private schools have to deal with is their blocking and tackling skills are not quite as good as they could be.
  • Now that I've finished reading his comment again, this must be what you are referring to. We just played them in a scrimmage on Friday. Our guys were gassed when we finally played them (we have a small team with only two subs) and S'ville still looked fresh, probably because they had 15-18 kids and were likely subbing in most of them. Our guys still made them miss here and there, but they certainly didn't look any worse at tackling than most teams. Any team can look bad at tackling when the ball carrier is quick and in the open field. Also, their plays lended themselves well to cutting off multiple defenders, from the backside, and their blocking seemed pretty good when running off the edges. So, I'm not sure where this comment comes from.
My comment was most private schools block and tackle just as good as anybody! If he thinks we don't he's not watching the right private schools.

And my comment was in no way a knock on Stephenville Faith. They are always a great team and a great program in all sports. Multiple state Championships.

Back