Saturday Moring QB Club

51eleven

Six-man expert
Many scores still missing.

So far,

Abbott, Savoy roll by 50, 48.
Gordon by 58-0, obviously by the half.
Blum 78, Kopperl 0, domination?
Bynum 33, Penelope 26. Milford 45, Coolidge, 43. Sound like great games.
Gohlson 58, Aquilla 54. Dang Cowboy, sounds like a heck of a game.
Mount Calm 89, Oakwood 67, a shootout in East Texas?
Gorman 76 Stephenville Faith 46, a bigger victory for Gorman than the first time.
Richland Springs 1, Lohn 0. An all time classic defensive struggle.
May 79, Srawn 48,

Comment's welcome by any and all.

Last night at the Savoy-Saint Jo game, the rushing record could have easily been broken. Starters came out half way in the 1st quarter. A lot of younger guys got playing time, which was the right thing to do.. I applaud the coaches for not trying to run the score up, while at the same time getting the younger guys some experience. Some games this isn't possible.

The fact that Strawn hung in with May into the second half, @ May, was big in District 10 I think. With the game next week against Gordon, being held in Strawn, where Gordon has not won since 2007, it sets up for a huge game. Don't be thinking for a second that Gordon will be looking past this one towards May. Come early to get parking if your going to attend this one! Allison vs Mackey! Gonna be big!

Strawn has improved quite a lot since week 1. And on top of that Coach Lee has turned his SB loose to run the ball. In some of the earlier games this year, it looked as if they were content to improve their passing game. It makes them less one dimensional and harder to defend.

Got to watch the Oakwood Mount Calm game and it was fast paced. This was my third game watching Oakwood and second time seeing Mount Calm. Both have really good athletes. Oakwood has to stop the penalties. OMG!!!! Not even real close calls - they just flat out make mistakes. I watched the center pick up the ball twice. Mount Calm didn't look "ground breaking" either. Their offense looks very tough to stop, but in the first half, Oakwood matched their athleticism pllay for play. Second half the conditioning showed. #1 and #15 was dead for Oakwood. Mount Calm just simply subbed in better athletes than Oakwood. Saw MC's #7 get injured. Sure hope he's OK. Also #15 got injured. Hope hes ok also. Bottom line, it was the same Oakwood I seen each time. Self destruction. Mount Calm is getting better each time I see them and if they keep improving each week, they gonna peak at the right time.

Mexican Englishman":22x83wdq said:
I am surprised how many points Mt. Calm's defense is allowing this late in the season.

Guess we can ask Milford, Chester and Gorman if giving up 50+ points to Oakwood is surprising. Why is it so shocking? They can flat out score when they're playing well. This is district and the score from last year wass 66-62. I was at the game, since we play today; but that #1, #15 and #10 are special for Oakwood. And having that #7 who is like 6'4, doesn't hurt either.

Mexican Englishman":cpnikbwv said:
I am surprised how many points Mt. Calm's defense is allowing this late in the season.

M. E. you just don't like coach Hinkson do you? Is it personal? When he left the Cougar's I figured you'd be happy. But yet you follow him.

Longhorn85":4yp5l3ft said:
The fact that Strawn hung in with May into the second half, @ May, was big in District 10 I think. With the game next week against Gordon, being held in Strawn, where Gordon has not won since 2007, it sets up for a huge game. Don't be thinking for a second that Gordon will be looking past this one towards May. Come early to get parking if your going to attend this one! Allison vs Mackey! Gonna be big!

I don't think Gordon will look past Strawn. It is Strawn-Gordon, once the "Superbowl of Six-Man". From SR's to Freshmen most of these kid's have been playing this game since elementary school.
Mackey has a much older and more experienced supporting cast, and, they have been winning handily without him most of the year. In spite of Allison's talent the Hound's have an uphill battle this week.

I attended the Oakwood-Mt. Calm game. I can tell you why they "gave up" that many points against Oakwood. I don't believe it was anything dubious on the part of the Home team. The numbers 1, 10 and 15 say it all. Those boys can score. Oakwood's Spreadback, #1 was both super quick and could throw the rock 55 yards while stationary or attacking the LOS. He looked as good as anyone I have watched at that position...in spurts. A second SB, # 10 wasn't as quick of foot, but his decision-making was formidable. He was elusive and has the uncanny ability to make plays. He too can attack the defense. I f he can learn to throw as he attacks he will be second to none at that position. Number 15 is probably the second most versatile player I have seen this year behind Jaquan of Calvert. He was basically a utility Back in that he was used in several spots with equal vigor. I'm not saying that's all they had. Offensively they have six solid players who know how to score. Had three balls not been dropped Oakwood could have forced the game into overtime.

Mt. Calm actually stopped Oakwood's salty offense several times. Can't say how many because I was flirting with Coach Kurkendayl's wife. :) I would say four or five times would be a good estimate. When a team can run a Spread offense competently, the score board lights up. And to have two SpreadBacks who understand the mechanics of it, whoa! Look out!!
Mt. Calm's offense can score too. They have a surprisingly fertile running game, and a monster--#33-- at wideout who can suck the ball into either hand as if it were nerf. Their QB is also talented, as are the other starters.

4 interceptions!!!!!!!thats how. I think they actually stopped us twice, maybe three times. We punted once, they got us for a safety once, and I think one more time. But the 4 INTS hurt big time. Mt Calm made the plays when we didnt. 21 penalties in a game when we average 3 was also a bad thing. Must be a Mt Calm field thing because we rocked the penalties when we played Gorman there. We had one penalty last week and two the week before vs Chester. We 're young! #3 and #1 are seniors. #7, a junior, didnt even play football last year or the year before. #15, 2, and 84 are juniors along with #7. #10, 50, 34, 74, are soph's and #9 and 11 are freshmen. We're growing and hopefully I dont coach them out of the talent they have. And my wife is pretty good looking!!LOL I way outkicked my coverage with her.

Texman301":1qxwax7o said:
4 interceptions!!!!!!!thats how. I think they actually stopped us twice, maybe three times. We punted once, they got us for a safety once, and I think one more time. But the 4 INTS hurt big time. Mt Calm made the plays when we didnt. 21 penalties in a game when we average 3 was also a bad thing. Must be a Mt Calm field thing because we rocked the penalties when we played Gorman there. We had one penalty last week and two the week before vs Chester. We 're young! #3 and #1 are seniors. #7, a junior, didnt even play football last year or the year before. #15, 2, and 84 are juniors along with #7. #10, 50, 34, 74, are soph's and #9 and 11 are freshmen. We're growing and hopefully I dont coach them out of the talent they have. And my wife is pretty good looking!!LOL I way outkicked my coverage with her.

Coach, BE PM'd me. He's getting older now, not like me, much less Smokey, but still, he couldn't remember your wife's name. What was it?

Well ME, you are close. Me and Coach K. tried to hook up after we moved to Evant, but the drive was about an hour and a half too far.

51', speak for yourself... I wasn't focused on her name. lol :)

Texman301":sr2qlqja said:

You were right when you said Mt Calm made the plays. The difference looked, to me, was half time. Mount Calm came out and only allowed one TD in the third, which opened the game. Their offense also scored at will in the third. So to the untrained eye, it looks as though MC made the half time adjustments needed to win. I'm not sure if mentioning the penalties was a jab at the officials, but I didn't see many that weren't warranted. You can't pick the ball up, if your the center. You can't tackle the rushers if your on offense. This game boiled down to discipline. Second half, Mc had it and Oakwood didn't.

Back