rules

starman17

11-man fan
Is a charcoal gray jersey with maroon numbers considered a LIGHT Colored road jersey.
Red Zone plays were a mess with navy vs charcoal.
Another rule not enforced.

Ref's were told 12 weeks ago, if you can't read the numbers from 40 yards away, the uniforms were not legal. Penalty is a time out at the start of every period where the uniforms are worn. Other than an incident report to Austin, what else is expected?

starman17":xvitepmu said:
Is a charcoal gray jersey with maroon numbers considered a LIGHT Colored road jersey.
Red Zone plays were a mess with navy vs charcoal.
Another rule not enforced.

Name two other rules that you think aren't enforced. That's all. Just two.

cowman52":1whbyhq4 said:
Ref's were told 12 weeks ago, if you can't read the numbers from 40 yards away, the uniforms were not legal. Penalty is a time out at the start of every period where the uniforms are worn. Other than an incident report to Austin, what else is expected?

PaleRider":2wpyd8tt said:
Personally, I don't think teams should be punished because a ref's visual acuity is below average. .
LOL I have seen a lot of those! But I am glad that we have guys who are willing to put on the stripes and get out there every week and do their best for the kids. Thank you Officials!

Cowman, a road team wearing dark jerseys is under a different rule than contrasting numerals. For the road team wearing colored jerseys, light gray is acceptable under UIL exceptions. Whether these "charcoal gray" jerseys were light enough is up to the officials. But even if they weren't, the only thing the officials can do is make the home team change. Yes, that's right. If the jerseys are too similar, the home team must make any changes even if it was the visiting team's fault. UIL exceptions eliminate the penalty for this infraction.

Personally, I'm a little ticked at the teams that take advantage of this rule. When people toe the line so close it causes the rule to be written in a stricter fashion. I believe its 2020 when they are making this rule even more strict. I feel as people with degrees we are smart enough to know that maroon is a dark color and neon green is a light one.

CoachTJones":jrqpryxb said:
Personally, I'm a little ticked at the teams that take advantage of this rule. When people toe the line so close it causes the rule to be written in a stricter fashion. I believe its 2020 when they are making this rule even more strict. I feel as people with degrees we are smart enough to know that maroon is a dark color and neon green is a light one.

PaleRider":uxmz9i30 said:
I could see where you might not be able to figure out what number a player was. But in school's smaller than that, that ain't a good argument.

interesting - why is it not a good arguement for 2A/1A? not that it matters - but I do agree with what you're saying except possibly this

coach_jshelton":3snazh1h said:
interesting - why is it not a good arguement for 2A/1A? not that it matters - but I do agree with what you're saying except possibly this

There are two reasons I can think of why seeing the numbers clearly on film for 2A/1A teams is not that big of a deal:

1. Most 1 and 2A teams have less than optimal filming abilities to begin with. At least that's the way it seems from the film I've watched.

2. The team sizes are much smaller - so you're going to know who is who without the need of a roster listing.

shreaky":2giv92ut said:
coach_jshelton":2giv92ut said:

There are two reasons I can think of why seeing the numbers clearly on film for 2A/1A teams is not that big of a deal:

1. Most 1 and 2A teams have less than optimal filming abilities to begin with. At least that's the way it seems from the film I've watched.

2. The team sizes are much smaller - so you're going to know who is who without the need of a roster listing.

Call me crazy, but I don't think the time I put in to film study, game plan, etc. exempts me from needing to know what personnel plays where at the 1A level - especially when studs tend to get moved into 4 or 5 different positions on either side of the ball, unlike the 11-man game where guys have a tendency to not play both tailback & guard. I would argue that it's more important at our level to be able to see uniform numbers clearly.

as someone who has called games for TV and has older eyes and horrible night vision... contrast, baby.... maximum contrast, please.

Back