Question for Coaches

FCSA football":1bhpmt60 said:
And Marathon.

There are numbers in Comstock, I think the HS has 60-80 kids last I checked. Marathon will need a whole lot of new families to make football work there again.

Seems I remember reading an article about a serious injury to a Comstock football player in a game back in the 60s or 70s which led them to dropping the sport; I used to do a lot of work in Del Rio and one of the doctors mentioned was a gentleman I used to call on in the 80s.

freeagent":1u79yqmi said:
FCSA football":1u79yqmi said:
And Marathon.

There are numbers in Comstock, I think the HS has 60-80 kids last I checked. Marathon will need a whole lot of new families to make football work there again.

Seems I remember reading an article about a serious injury to a Comstock football player in a game back in the 60s or 70s which led them to dropping the sport; I used to do a lot of work in Del Rio and one of the doctors mentioned was a gentleman I used to call on in the 80s.

That article might still be on the History thread.....September 9, 1971. A 130 lb halfback Howard Chamberlain was seriously injured during a scrimmage. Drs. George Hermann and Louis Cartall removed his spleen and 5 inches from the back of his stomach to stop serious internal bleeding that almost killed him.

Comstock was playing an outlaw schedule in 1971 and had several 8 man games with local 11 man JV squads scheduled. They ended up paying only one game that year and dropped football in 1972.

I think a big problem in the past is what district would they be in. Comstock got a taste of the trans-Pecos life in basketball this year and last year, and basically dots on the map in west Texas are farther away than they appear. While they could probably do it now with Leakey, Nucese, and Medina playing sixman, my understanding is the community does not want football. Of course, that could always change.

Dogface2":t7fmfzxr said:
play2win":t7fmfzxr said:
about 30 miles west of del rio
Isn't 30 mi. W. of Del Rio
actually Mexico?

It is so confusing if you have never been there, but the Rio Grande bends making south and west basically "Mexico" and "not Mexico" depending on your specific location.

Dogface2":24wumk6c said:
FCSA football":24wumk6c said:
And Marathon.
Marathon
is trying or tried to bring football back
a few years ago.
Not sure if still trying.

God Bless Marathon, but I would not hold my breath.

Dogface2":gcj1d3x6 said:
play2win":gcj1d3x6 said:
about 30 miles west of del rio
Isn't 30 mi. W. of Del Rio
actually Mexico?

Let's say per Mr. Google Maps:

32 miles NW of Del Rio via US 90

81 miles S of Ozuna via TX 163

88 miles E of Sanderson on US 90'

Roughly 12 miles N of the US/Mexico border, or as Mr. Trump calls it, the big, beautiful wall (could be a wet one, too).

Back