Proposed 2024 Rule Changes

Update:

Since the uniforms rule was not passed by the NCAA, the UIL rule will reman the same as it was in 2023.

I thought there was going to be enough push from the THSCA to get something done here, but I was wrong.

This looks good to me. No being the "bad guy" on uniforms. However, I would like to use NCAA timing rules with first downs and the 2 Minute Warning, but all in all, I like it.

I'm not sure what the right answer with the knee pads is, but the end of the pants routinely rides up to above the knee for a lot of players. Our players have tried to tape the pants down below the knee, but it doesn't hold of course. I get the intent of the rule...as long as it is only affecting those purposely miswearing (is this even a word) their uniforms.

I'm not sure what the right answer with the knee pads is, but the end of the pants routinely rides up to above the knee for a lot of players. Our players have tried to tape the pants down below the knee, but it doesn't hold of course. I get the intent of the rule...as long as it is only affecting those purposely miswearing (is this even a word) their uniforms.
No official is going to care if they're slightly above... but when it's pulled up halfway up the thigh, or it it looks like they're wearing hotpants (and I saw plenty of six man players doing this the past few years, we will tell them to pull them down.

..Or we're supposed to anyway.

There has been one unexpected rule change I wanted to make sure everyone is aware of, for tries and field goals.

58. UIL RULE - PERSONAL FOUL ON FIELD GOALS AND TRY ATTEMPTS (Additional rule applicable to UIL games only)
When the offensive team attempts a place kick (field goal or try), it is illegal for a defensive player who is not in a three or four point stance in a stationary position within one yard of his line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped, to enter the neutral zone and initiate forcible contact (indicated by forward movement of the defensive player) with an opponent in or behind the neutral zone. Incidental or slight contact should be ignored. EXCEPTION: There is no foul under this rule if the contact is after it is obvious the place kick will not be attempted, or the place kick attempt has been blocked; however other personal foul rules may apply.
PENALTY – Personal Foul, 15 yards and automatic first down. [S38]

What this means, for six man, is if you're a defensive player desiring to attempt to block the ball, you MUST meet two conditions: be within 1 yard of the LOS, AND in a 3-4 point stance.

Examples:

On a try, B56 lines up 2 yards off the ball in an upright posture over the left guard. When the ball is snapped, he rushed through a gap and contacts the holder in an attempt to block the kick. Ruling: Foul by B56, 1/2 distance/repeat the try, or 15 yards on the ensuing kickoff.

On a try, B56 lines up within one yard of LOS and in a 3-4 point stance over the left guard. At the snap, he bullrushes the guard and while unsuccessful in blocking the kick, contacts the holder (not roughing). Ruling: No foul.

On a try, B56 lines up within one yard of the LOS but is NOT in a 3 or 4-point stance. At the snap, he rushes in and before blocking the ball, contacts the kicker or holder. Ruling: Foul by B56, 1/2 distance/repeat the try.

Anyone upright at the snap - regardless of stance - has taken themselves out of the play until the ball is kicked or it's clear there won't be a kick, and the second part is once you meet that condition, you still have to be within one yard of the LOS. Officials will (should) be walking through these changes with coaches during pregame (and they should already know from their coaching clinics) but invariably we get those who claim they've never seen or heard of such a UIL rule.

I think the easiest way to explain it (to coaches and officials) is 'If you're up, you're out.' Meaning, if you're upright, regardless of where you line up, you're out of the play, until it's not a kick play anymore.

That's overly simplistic, but I think it's a start for explanation purposes.

I think the easiest way to explain it (to coaches and officials) is 'If you're up, you're out.' Meaning, if you're upright, regardless of where you line up, you're out of the play, until it's not a kick play anymore.

That's overly simplistic, but I think it's a start for explanation purposes.

I won't pretend to know what's right, or not, so I'll leave it to y'all to explain if I'm wrong but from what I'm reading here it doesn't seem like "if you're up, you're out" to me. If a defensive player is up, or even if they're off the line of scrimmage, can't they still rush in to attempt a block, as long as they don't initiate forcible contact against an opponent?

I won't pretend to know what's right, or not, so I'll leave it to y'all to explain if I'm wrong but from what I'm reading here it doesn't seem like "if you're up, you're out" to me. If a defensive player is up, or even if they're off the line of scrimmage, can't they still rush in to attempt a block, as long as they don't initiate forcible contact against an opponent?
That's fair - 'If you're up, you're out' - this really just applies to the contact aspect of the rule. Yes, they can, they can even block the kick - but like the saying goes, 'come at the king, you'd best not miss'. Because if you do, and you miss, or you have more than incidental contact with the kicker or holder, it's 15 yards and auto first, or 15 on the kick off. And it will be called tightly, because it's a safety foul. There's no more 5-yard running into the kicker or holder, the way this rule is worded.

Yeah, I wouldn't argue for a possible 15 yard penalty unless it's at a point in the game where it's get a block or go home with the L. I'd say either get in the three-point stance or just hang back.

I just wanted to get some clarification on the rule from the guys who will be interpreting it on the field, in case I was wrong. Thanks for the reply!

That's fair - 'If you're up, you're out' - this really just applies to the contact aspect of the rule. Yes, they can, they can even block the kick - but like the saying goes, 'come at the king, you'd best not miss'. Because if you do, and you miss, or you have more than incidental contact with the kicker or holder, it's 15 yards and auto first, or 15 on the kick off. And it will be called tightly, because it's a safety foul. There's no more 5-yard running into the kicker or holder, the way this rule is worded.

Just a slight correction -- there is still a 5-yard running into the kicker/holder

For example -- B67 is lined up on the line of scrimmage, stationary, in a four-point stance. He is allowed to rush and make contact, but he isn't allowed to commit the foul of Running into the Kicker/Holder.

Back